THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    Tanning kit recomendations

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tanning kit recomendations
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a coyote hide that I would like to tan. I am looking for recomendations and advice on kits to use. Want a nice, soft hide in the end and I know ZIP about tanning of any kind.

Posts: 199 | Location: Harnett County NC | Registered: 23 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess I'll jump in and ask the same. I have a large bobcat that I have case skinned and I would like to tan it also.

Posts: 268 | Location: God's Country, East Tex. USA | Registered: 08 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jds
posted Hide Post
By far the most noted "expert" in the taxidermy tanning field is Bruce Rittel in Massachusetts. He is called on to be a consultant for tanneries all across the USA and is a regular contributor to taxidermy industry magazines, books, and periodicals.

He does sell an assortment of tanning supplies to the taxidermy industry and the public. His website is at:

http://www.rittelsupplies.net/

He has a few shortcut kits such as tanning creams but for the best soft tan available, he also sells the complete kits of the pickling crystals, tannins, and oils. Click on his "Products" link and look for the EZ2000 tanning kit for $25.00.

Check out his site and give him a call. He's the type of person who will be happy to talke with you about tanning.

Good luck!

JDS

Posts: 655 | Location: Burleson, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like good advice! I was also given a catalog from an outfit called Van Dykes which is a division of Cabelas but I've not looked thru the book yet. I wanted to have it tanned but frankly $75-100 seemed steep for a single yote.

Posts: 199 | Location: Harnett County NC | Registered: 23 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jds
posted Hide Post
I understand your hesitancy to pay for the tanning. Consider, though, that your taxidermist has to do the following:

1. Skin the coyote (ever skinned a coyote? - They are the nastiest things ever to walk the earth!)
2. Flesh the hide. This involves scraping and cutting of the nasty meat, fat, and tissue off the flesh side of the hide. The tail must also be split and the tail bone removed.
3. Salting the hide once, letting it drain for 24 hours, and salting it a second time - approx cost of salt $2.00.
4. Packing, boxing, and shipping of hide to tannery - approximate cost $8.00 to $10.00.
5. Paying the tannery to tan the hide - wholesale cost approximately $35.00
6. Paying shipping cost for the hide back from the tannery - approx cost $6.00.

So the taxidermist has an hour or so of time invested plus about $51 - $53 dollars from his own pocket to pay expenses.

Based on that, $75.00 is a pretty cheap bid for the tanning and $100.00 is about average for a taxidermist to charge.

Van Dykes is a decent taxidermy supply company. Many of their chemicals and processes are of the "old school". There are better methods out there. Rittels has now developed tanning procedures that are much less dangerous to the user and the environment. I still recommend Rittel's.

Good luck!

JDS

Posts: 655 | Location: Burleson, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jds, thanks for the info. I just ordered the EZ2000 kit.
One more question, does it take a special salt or can I use plain old cooking salt?

Posts: 268 | Location: God's Country, East Tex. USA | Registered: 08 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jds
posted Hide Post
Good question!

Use non-iodized salt for salting hides. Iodized salt will screw with the ph level of your chemicals.

The cheapest place to get salt is at a local feed store. The Morton's Feed Salt is perfect. It is the same small granulation as table salt so it will cover the hide well and be absorbed better by the hide. There is a slightly coarser grade called "Stock Salt". It will work in a pinch but the Feed Salt is better.

Never use Rock Salt. It is much too coarse and will not penetrate the hide well.

A 50 lb bag of feed salt should run about $3.50.

JDS

one of us
posted Hide Post
JDS, It looks to me that you're putting out some good info here and I thank you for it! As far as the fee for tanning goes, you're correct except that the $100 was for the tanning only since I still had to skin it out. Probably would have parted with the c-note if skinning was included, but he stated without question that it was not. And I agree, they are not the easiest critter to get the hide off. But its skun out now and in the freezer, I expect that I'll take your advice on the tanning solutions and go with the new stuff. I'll let you know how I make out!

one of us
posted Hide Post
How long can I store a hide in the freezer that has been rolled to the inside before it becomes to freezer burned to tan well? I have a hide I'd like to tan, but it's been in the freezer for almost two years now, I haven't gotten around to tanning it yet. Should I try to do it or should I admire the beautiful pictures I have as my memoir?
Yardbird

Posts: 332 | Location: Upper Midwest | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jds
posted Hide Post
It depends on how it was frozen. You said it was rolled to the inside, but was it put in a plastic bag?

A hide that was rolled and put in a freezer without being packaged at all will begin to "freezer burn" (dehydrate and dry out) within a week or two.

If it was packaged in a plastic bag with as much air squeezed out as possible and then sealed shut, it may last 5 years.

Once a hide has started to dry out, it needs to be taken care of pretty quick. Some freezer burn can be re-hydrated if soaked in water but drastic cases are destined for the dumpster.

What type of hide was it and how was it frozen?

JDS