THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM TAXIDERMY FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Taxidermy    Black Bear Rug - Need advice

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Black Bear Rug - Need advice
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I succesfully went on a Black Bear hunt in British Columbia at the end of May 2008. I was successful in the endeavor and killed a very large black that was quickly measured by the guide Jim Bowie (no relation to the Alamo JB) at 6' 08", estimated between 350-400 lbs, and was later measuered officially and is logged on the outfitter's web site and in the magazine Mountain Hunter by the outfitter at 7' 02". Mr Bowie, the guide, also told me that it is normal for the hide to stretch to a slightly longer length during the tanning and to expect a very large rug.

The black bear I just received last week, I did not remember the cinammon color down closer to the skin, remembering total black all the way without any color changes. When I measured it and carefully made sure to count every valley for credit the finished product is 6' 00". I am thinking I have received the wrong product but do not want to start a dialogue with the taxidermist if I do not have my facts correct.

If I did receive the wrong bear, I would like to first contact the taxidermist and give the benefit of the doubt and the opportunity to correct it. To date he has been very professional. If the advice here is that this is a reasonable size to receive from the original, I am not going to worry about it, enjoy my rug, the pictures, and great memories.

I probably will not be able to respond for another day or two "if" there were a question. I will try a picture from the field - not to good at picture posting, so hope it works. Thanks you to all in advance.

Best regards, Fred

Posts: 236 | Location: Tampa, Fl | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mary Hilliard-Krueger
posted Hide Post
Hello Fred and congrats on that beautiful bear you took. Was wondering if your outfitter measured the bear after it was skinned out? There is alot of stretch to a green hide whether you pull it length or width wise thus leading to a false measurement. Did he measure nose to the base of the tail, for that is how to get your correct measurement. In my years of working with bears a 350-400 pound bear usually measures around 5 1/2'. In 22 years of rugmaking for the industry I have only rugged 3 blackies that were 7' or over (and I rug hundreds of bears a year). Some guides have a tendency to embelish on these figures as it is good for their business.
Was also wondering how the bear was officially measured? There is no official measuring system for the skin, only for the skull after it is cleaned and dried for 60 days. Are you refering to the scoring of the skull? Also, skins get smaller in the tanning process, but a well neutralized and well oiled tanned skin will get a few inches of stretch when on the board.

To verify it is your bear study your trophy pictures and compare to your skin. If you have any doubt bring in the pics with your bear and discuss it with your taxidermist.

Hope this helps. However this turns out for you, that is a beautiful bear to be proud of and display as a rug. If I can be of any help with your rugmaking needs drop me a PM.

Kindest Regards,
Mary

Taxidermist/Rugmaker

Posts: 904 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 12 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much Mary,

Good information and from an informed source. I will call the taxidermist to discuss what I should have expected in reality over what guides and agents suggest it should be.

Regardless, my wife rearranged the family room to expose the bear as a wall hanging, and it looks great. When I spoke of an "official" skin measurement- it was only by the taxidermist who took his time, over the guide in the field. As you mentioned there isn't any "official" measurement of height. He did measure the skull "officially" which was just fractions less than 19". Not a record by any means, but it is mine and I had a wonderful adventure.

Thanks again for clarifying some stuff up for me.

Fred

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fred,

I don't have a feeling that you got the wrong hide based on the photo. Spring hair can be different on different parts of the bear. I am surprised the finished rug would make it anywhere near 6' from nose to base of tail. I would have said closer to 5' from the photo. I also would say your guide was being enthusiastic as to his measurement and weight estimates.

I hound hunt bears here in Idaho and have shot or seen shot many in spring and fall. The hunt is the chase not the kill.

Like the hound you are holding!

Enjoy your memory of an excellent hunt.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the response SG,

It was a GREAT hunt.

Fred

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Fred,
Looking at the photo of your bear, I would say your guide was right. 350-400 lbs. A bear that size will get you a rug 5 3/4 to 6 feet long. Pretty good chance the rug you recieved back is yours.
Chuck
Ps Nice bear!!!!!!!

Posts: 834 | Location: Plover, Wi | Registered: 04 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
All my bears have gotten smaller during the tanning process as Mary mentioned. I am pretty confident you could have seen shrinkage from 6'8" to 6' on a finished product. I have one on the wall that was 6'9" green that returned as a rug at 6'2". So your shrinkage is 'normal' in comparision to the 3 rugs I have. The head and face are generally pretty unique and if they look the same, it pretty much guarantees its the same animal.

Posts: 5700 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hughiam
posted Hide Post
While there may be some shrinkage in the tanning process, that loss should be stretched back by the taxidermist. Mary nailed it head on that the rug was probably generously measured when it was green. There is a great article in Breakthrough magazine(a taxidermy publication) this month about measuring lifesize skins. There is a quote from Fred Vanderburgh(who judges many taxi competitions) about green measuring skins and says in essence, "most hunters think their bears are larger than they are because the guide will measure them right after skinning and tell them they have a 6 foot bear when in reality its 4 1/2 feet".
Im not suggesting you have a 4 1/2 foot bear. But Ive had many come in my shop that were "6 footers that weighed at least 350lbs" actually be barely 5 feet and less than 200.

Your bear is a great trophy, enjoy it and congratulations.

Pro Staff for:
In Natures Image Taxidermy

Posts: 448 | Location: Palmer, AK | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TMTAXIDERMY
posted Hide Post
Bear guides almost always over state the size, and hunters go along because they want to believe it is a huge bear. I agree with the others, going by the picture you posted, that is not a 6' 8" to 7 ft. bear. But, it is a great bear to be very proud of, congratulations.

Posts: 138 | Location: Dardanelle, Arkansas | Registered: 08 November 2009Reply With Quote