New
Find
Notify
Tools

.404 EXP. FNB
 Login/Join

<Double D>
posted
I am posting this request for information here and on the Africa and Big Bore boards because this is where those who would mostly likely know about this rifle might hang out.

I have a 98 Mauser marked .404 EXP. Under the .404 EXP. is FNB.

The rifle is .416 cal. I have made cases from 300 Win. Mag. and .375 H&H. 7mmRem Mag and 338 Win Mag Cases are to short. I do not have reloading dies so I haven't tried .458 Cases.

The measurement of the cases is quite similar to the .416 Taylor. These cases are just a few .001's larger and longer in the shoulder.

This is a good shooting rifle. With Barnes 300 gr. X bullets using .416 Taylor load data this rifle will shoot 3 shots into 1 inch at 100 yds.

It wears a Redfield adjustable rear peep sight and a Christy front sight. I have plans to scope mount it since my eyes are not working that well anymore with peeps.

I have used it White tail deer hunting and it's a good deer killer.

Does anyone know anything about the .404 EXP.?
Does any one know who FNB is? (Fred N Barnes?)

DD

[ 12-01-2002, 22:21: Message edited by: Double D ]

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Can you post a photo or email me a photo & I'll post it here for you?

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Double D>
posted
I don't have any pictures, Looks like your typical sporterized 98 Mauser. Nothing really special.

It's really the markings that are the mystery.

404 EXP
FNB

DD

[ 12-02-2002, 03:28: Message edited by: Double D ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
See my other post on the African Forum...You probably have a 404 J-B Express, in which case you may be shooting 416 bullets in a .411 bore which will probably work, but pressure will be high..I suggested some options.

Posts: 41894 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Double D>
posted
Thanks Ray, I saw your comments over there, appreciate it.

Chick Donnelly told me some stories about Barnes' Customs guns that I found interesting. Like how Barnes had P.O.Ackley build the guns and put Barnes' name on them. And how Ackley had the students at Trinidad build the guns for him to sell to Barnes'. So who knows who really built this gun.

DD