New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scheels
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
We have this giant new sporting goods store (Scheels) being built about 5 miles from my house.
I know nothing about them. With the Bass Pro acquisition of Cabelas, I see their support to our activities waining.
Curious if Scheels has the ability to fill that void??
What can you tell me about them regarding reloading components, upscale firearms and accessories? Is there a focus on hunting? They are set to open in March 2020.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RAR60
posted Hide Post
I have been in a couple. I found them to be a store that is geared toward hunting but do have fishing. The one in Iowa City has a high end gun room and I believe they take consignments. i would have no problem going there for my hunting needs.

Zim 2006
Zim 2007
Namibia 2013
Brown Bear Togiak Nat'l Refuge Sep 2010
Argentina 2019
RSA 2023
Tanzania 2024
SCI Life Member
USMC

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
The one in Reno/Sparks is outstanding! They don't have any stores
in the east.

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did a little search and it said they were employee owned (perhaps an ESOP). If that is true they will not likely be sold to private equity (beginning of the end as the bottom line becomes paramount)
A lot to be said for employee engagement.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I brought one shotgun from them.

Good price and they treated me well.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went in one in North Dakota last year, very good selection of everything outdoors, hunting,guns, fishing, reloading (lots of reloading), trapping, skiing (bet the one in flower Mound won't have much ski equipment) and lots of clothing. Even had two or three restaurants. We ate lunch while we were there and the manager sat and visited with us for a while, he told us that they were building the store in North Texas and they expected it to do very well.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2910 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
There is one in Billings, it has been there for years. They used to be a good place to trade with.

Not sure about lately.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
That’s exciting to hear. I drive by the one, I assume, the OP is referencing every day. Cabela’s hasn’t been the same since BassPro took over. Will be nice to have somewhere else to go get hunting stuff.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, in the Colony / W Frisco on 121 pretty close to 121 and the Dallas North Tollway.

quote:
Originally posted by Sevens:
That’s exciting to hear. I drive by the one, I assume, the OP is referencing every day. Cabela’s hasn’t been the same since BassPro took over. Will be nice to have somewhere else to go get hunting stuff.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Popped into one in West Des Moines. I was impressed.
Agree Bass Pro has dumbed down Cabela's.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I buy quite a lot of stuff from the Scheels near Greeley, CO.

They have a great selection of hunting and shooting accessories.

Their prices seem to be a little better than C/BPS and their employees are super friendly and very helpful.

The one I go to has a large Ferris wheel inside. Kids love it.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Scheels customer service is similar to what Cabela's was 20 years ago. They also have a good athletic sports department.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1220 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 460 wby shooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:
I went in one in North Dakota last year, very good selection of everything outdoors, hunting,guns, fishing, reloading (lots of reloading), trapping, skiing (bet the one in flower Mound won't have much ski equipment) and lots of clothing. Even had two or three restaurants. We ate lunch while we were there and the manager sat and visited with us for a while, he told us that they weren't building the store in North Texas and they expected it to do very well.

Witch one I go to the ones in Bismarck and Fargo often!

Posts: 817 | Location: jimtown ND | Registered: 21 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have a real nice one here in Billings. good selection and some knowledgeable salesmen. I shop there instead of the Cabellas in town

Posts: 1195 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi All:

We have a Scheels and Cabela's in Reno and Scheels is where I shop 90% of the time. They have a 100% satisfaction return policy ( like Cabela's was in the past), a great selection of all thing sports and plenty of staff for service. My daughter worked for them when she was in college and they are a well run organization. They will be a real asset to your community.

Posts: 87 | Location: The oasis of Nevada | Registered: 26 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 460 wby shooter:
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:
I went in one in North Dakota last year, very good selection of everything outdoors, hunting,guns, fishing, reloading (lots of reloading), trapping, skiing (bet the one in flower Mound won't have much ski equipment) and lots of clothing. Even had two or three restaurants. We ate lunch while we were there and the manager sat and visited with us for a while, he told us that they weren't building the store in North Texas and they expected it to do very well.

Witch one I go to the ones in Bismarck and Fargo often!

We went to the one in Bismark.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2910 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Like twilli, I go to the one in Billings quite a lot and really like it. When I was a kid in Billings it was a small shop on 24th and they helped get me addicted to hunting and fishing - so I guess I owe them, or they owe me, or something.

Really like Scheels, so much less cheezy than other big brand stores.

Posts: 1073 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Head and shoulders better than BassPro/Cabelas.

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
We have one here in Utah. I decided to drop in a check it out on a whim one day and just by chance happened to be wearing a Cabelas hat that day. They saw to it that I left with a free Scheels hat. Big Grin

That was the only time Ive been out that way but it seemed like a nice outlet.

AK-47
The only Communist Idea that Liberals don't like.

Posts: 10170 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wstrnhuntr:
We have one here in Utah. I decided to drop in a check it out on a whim one day and just by chance happened to be wearing a Cabelas hat that day. They saw to it that I left with a free Scheels hat. Big Grin

That was the only time Ive been out that way but it seemed like a nice outlet.

I had the exact same thing happen to me at the one in Colorado. They let me pick the Scheels hat that I wanted and even put the Cabela hat into a bag for me.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I love Scheels. Unfortunately there is not one here in Las Vegas. I have, however, visited the ones in Reno and Salt Lake.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
The decision to open this store is interesting to me. It is my understanding that the Cabelas in the region as well as the Bass Pro Shop are not fairing all that well. Couple that with the closing of Gander Mountain (had a store that once thrived in Sherman) and the closing of the Sportsman Warehouse on I-35 very near 121 putting in within a few miles of this Scheels building...I wonder if their market data actually revealed viability? I certainly hope so as I had decided the sportsman community in the region (especially hunting) must be dwindling and not able to sustain these types of stores any longer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
The decision to open this store is interesting to me. It is my understanding that the Cabelas in the region as well as the Bass Pro Shop are not fairing all that well. Couple that with the closing of Gander Mountain (had a store that once thrived in Sherman) and the closing of the Sportsman Warehouse on I-35 very near 121 putting in within a few miles of this Scheels building...I wonder if their market data actually revealed viability? I certainly hope so as I had decided the sportsman community in the region (especially hunting) must be dwindling and not able to sustain these types of stores any longer.

Best to buy guns and scopes online and save on taxes.

The hunting demographics is ugly. Fishing not so bad.

Great article in WSJ on high end ranches, many with hunting operations, finding few buyers as baby boomers age.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Because of federal law, it can be difficult to find an online store that doesn’t charge sale tax anymore, at least in my research.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13448 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
Because of federal law, it can be difficult to find an online store that doesn’t charge sale tax anymore, at least in my research.

Depends on the state law I am guessing. Last week I attempted to order two rifles from EuroOptics and they were going to charge me sales tax on both rifles.
Ordered one rifle from Whittakers - no sales tax
Ordered the other from Buds - no sales tax.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

That is true, and Mike, the WSJ had story about that new law a week or so ago. Even had some letters to the editor on it as well.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
quote:

That is true, and Mike, the WSJ had story about that new law a week or so ago. Even had some letters to the editor on it as well.

I would be a really poor example as my goal in life now is buy as little stuff as possible. I have too much crap already and need to get rid of stuff.

All my recent gun and scope purchases have been non tax. Retailers that use amazon for distribution I have not been charged sales tax.

I know the Supreme Court ruling. I just don’t know the degree to which it is enforced for Florida.

I recently bought some stuff on amazon for $3.50 that was shipped from China.

I checked hoppes no 9 on amazon. It’s cheapest from amazon with tax but there are 18 other sellers selling via amazon without sales tax.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
quote:

Depends on the state law I am guessing. Last week I attempted to order two rifles from EuroOptics and they were going to charge me sales tax on both rifles.

My last gun and scope purchase from eurooptic was tax free. Times have changed and I think my last purchase was fall 2018.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
quote:

My last gun and scope purchase from eurooptic was tax free. Times have changed and I think my last purchase was fall 2018.

Mike

Looks like Florida does not have a legal mechanism for collecting online sales tax.

https://floridianpress.com/201...e-tax-bill-proposal/

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps banking on growth in the specific area.
DFW just eclipsed the Houston metroplex as the 4th largest metropolitan area in the USA. Suppose NY, LA and Chicago are larger.
In my estimation that is nothing to brag about. i believe there are 150,000 people moving into the area every year.
The fasting growing area is Frisco which is basically where this facility is located.
It is not an impoverished area. Actually fairly affluent. It is growing into an area full of activities and restaurants.
Will be interesting to see how the store fares.
A Holland and Holland store was open on the second story of an jewelry store in Highland Park Dallas. There is a Beretta store within 5 miles of the H&H store.
something tells me the well heeled do not shop on line too much.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eezridr:
Perhaps banking on growth in the specific area.
DFW just eclipsed the Houston metroplex as the 4th largest metropolitan area in the USA. Suppose NY, LA and Chicago are larger.
In my estimation that is nothing to brag about. i believe there are 150,000 people moving into the area every year.
The fasting growing area is Frisco which is basically where this facility is located.
It is not an impoverished area. Actually fairly affluent. It is growing into an area full of activities and restaurants.
Will be interesting to see how the store fares.
A Holland and Hollad store was open on the second story of an jewelry store in Highland Park Dallas. There is a Beretta store within 5 miles of the H&H store.
something tells me the well heeled do not shop on line too much.

Sure they do. I have bought guns from the beretta gallery and have them shipped to a Florida full and paid zero sales taxes. H&h in London will ship guns directly thru a clearing agent and not into their us stores.

Most high end jewelry places ship into a non tax jurisdiction. I know a while back Tiffany sent my buddies engagement ring out of nyc. I don’t know what high end watch places do.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
eBay now even charges tax on used items sold. Got hit with it unknowingly buying a Tuffpak off eBay...was a first for me.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
The people influx the north side of DFW Metroplex post recess is mind boggling.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I do try to support local businesses even if it means paying the sales tax. It is sad knowing that people go and handle guns/items at a brick and mortar store only to find the best price online. Yes, haggling is part of the trade.

Many of the one off gun shops are older fellas and might price off the Blue Book, but they will work with you. Not only that, they will talk to you and be friendly. I’d rather pay a little bit more to support local business and not large conglomerates.

It was well before the internet and such, but my grandfather owned a hardware store in Memphis. He added guns and sporting goods. That would never work these days in a large metropolitan area with the exception being Ray’s here in Dallas.

Kensco,

Frisco is crazy. I grew up there and would ride horses and hunt dove where there’s now a mall, ikea and such. I was reading in the paper they now have 6 5A schools in the same sports district. The other two schools in that district are The Colony and Little Elm. That’s crazy, but such is life and good for my family still residing there.

Mike,

I have yet to go to the H&H store here, despite it being less than two miles from my home. It would just make me silly. I have purchased from the Beretta Gallery and have received good deals. I will admit that they are not like the “local business” I mentioned above, but they have things you can’t get elsewhere.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3458 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DCS Member:
I do try to support local businesses even if it means paying the sales tax. It is sad knowing that people go and handle guns/items at a brick and mortar store only to find the best price online. Yes, haggling is part of the trade.

Many of the one off gun shops are older fellas and might price off the Blue Book, but they will work with you. Not only that, they will talk to you and be friendly. I’d rather pay a little bit more to support local business and not large conglomerates.

It was well before the internet and such, but my grandfather owned a hardware store in Memphis. He added guns and sporting goods. That would never work these days in a large metropolitan area with the exception being Ray’s here in Dallas.

Kensco,

Frisco is crazy. I grew up there and would ride horses and hunt dove where there’s now a mall, ikea and such. I was reading in the paper they now have 6 5A schools in the same sports district. The other two schools in that district are The Colony and Little Elm. That’s crazy, but such is life and good for my family still residing there.

Mike,

I have yet to go to the H&H store here, despite it being less than two miles from my home. It would just make me silly. I have purchased from the Beretta Gallery and have received good deals. I will admit that they are not like the “local business” I mentioned above, but they have things you can’t get elsewhere.

I buy (or used to buy) fair bit stuff from a local gun shop because I like the gunsmith and his knowledge base and service. I will have him do a lot of upgrades to my guns going forward.

But us retail has fundamentally changed and going back to mom and pop and small family run retail is as likely as phone booths coming back.

The gun and hunting business will shrink over time. The demographics are not great and we just have way too many guns already. A lot of firearm demand has been pulled up and market is pretty saturated.

Tough retail environment when sector is shrinking.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
eBay now even charges tax on used items sold. Got hit with it unknowingly buying a Tuffpak off eBay...was a first for me.

Once collection mechanism are put in place and properly enforced it’s very tough to get around sales/consumption taxes.

Maybe ar classified for future purchases. There should be a large enough stock of members wanting to sell stuff.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since BPS took over our Cabelas has gone downhill. Dale Jr. camo along with True Timber that BPS bought exclusive rights to abound. Snow camo doesn't go well here in SC, no light weight shirts or camo vests for dove season, really.
BPS is now a bunch of house brand clothing and fishing, very little hunting, and advertising flyers with products they don't stock.

CO School of Trades 1976, Gunsmithing

Posts: 126 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 18 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scheel's opening in N Dallas will be the nail in the coffin for Cabelas in Allen, which appears to be on life support already due to the cluster Bass Pro has made of the brand. It's a shame really, but BPS brought it on themselves.

Idiots like Mike from FL are obviously not a potential customer anyway. Not sure why he posts multiple times about something he's supposedly not interested in. I still believe people like to get their hands on stuff they want to buy, even if it costs a little more. Cabelas in Ft Worth used to be the largest gun dealer in the world. Not sure if they still are or not.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
The guys in the fine gun room at Cabela’s in Allen have been pricks even before the BPS takeover. The first BPS in the DFW area in Grapevine was ok for a bit. I had never seen such a collection of so many cool hunting and fishing items in one place.

As I said previously, I’m not a big fan of big box stores pushing out the mom and pop, but the internet is also doing the same. I’ve bought from CDNN, GrabAGun and SWFA (where I worked all throughout HS, but we made the gun show circuit almost every weekend), but all of those do subject me to state sales tax as they are all based here. In the end, a good deal is a good deal.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3458 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote