Find
Notify
Tools

Proud of my daughter
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted
I don't know about the rest of you fellows who have daughters, but it was somewhat of a surprise when my youngest girl, still Barbie-playing and only nine, asked me to take her to a hunter safety course.

Ever since, we've had great experiences afield, even going to Africa three years ago.

When she got home from college for Christmas vacation, she asked if we could find a doe to fill her freezer up in Georgia Bulldog country. More than a little excited about getting to guide my Diana, I called one of our fellow posters on AR who periodically needs some doe culling and got a thumbs up. His place is about 3.5 hours away from my Georgia coast home, so I was looking forward to some uninterupted travel time to catch up on father-daughter talk.

The weather forecast was for bitter cold, so we pulled out the heavy stuff, packed up my pickup and headed out Monday morning for the other side of the state.

We talked about music, graduate schools, our upcoming trips to Dallas for DSC, our 2011 safari that we'll do in Matatsi 3 (for her buffalo) and even stopped on the way and bought a jon boat???

We arrived outside of Albany, GA about 3:30 p.m. (it gets dark about 6:00), met our host and bundled up for our cold, cold two hours in a tower stand overlooking a cut corn field with clover and oats planted in strips radiating like spokes from the stand's location.

On the way in, we had a thrill when 8 gobblers were already feeding right by the tower and we got to watch them for about 10 minutes before they moved into the pines and out of sight.

Climbing into the blind was a hoot. We had two backpacks, one rifle, two sets of insulated coveralls, a camera bag, two folding chairs and a couple of big bottles of water, all that besides our heavy clothes already on.

Now, you folks from South Dakota or somewhere might not think that 26 degrees with a constant wind of 15 mph with gust to 25 isn't cold, but to us thin-blooded southerners, it was already getting our attention before we got situated.

My daughter ended up with insulated underwear, jeans (we'll be looking for some better pants in Dallas), a sweatshirt, an insulated jacket, glove liners, heavy gloves, 400 grain insulated boots with sock liners and wool socks, a balaclava and a skull cap with insulated overalls over everything. Normally swelte, she looked like the Michelin Man. I tried to take a picture but she wouldn't allow it.

I fumbled with The White Nile, trying to re-read it for the umpthteen time and found it frustrating with heavy gloves on, but my lady could turn the pages of The Poisonwood Bible because her mittens had a finger slot.

Actually, neither of us was very serious about reading so we glassed a lot and whispered some more father-daughter stuff.

About 20 minutes before the end of shooting light, as the sun began to glow blood red and the eastern sky faded to an absolutely perfect purple, we began to see deer filtering into the little cuts and gullies that drained the cultivated field.

One flicker in the brush became a doe and a yearling joined her, then two more filled in the family group. To the east, but out of shooting range, three more fed out into some clover. Probalby more entered the field, but we concentrated on those coming closer to us.

Emmy didn't even lift her gun. She just would look at the first group we saw (then about 150 yards) and would smile with a comment like, "They have their fur fluffed out, don't they?" or "I'll bet the two big does are mother and daughter. Don't they kick out the button bucks when they are 6 months old?"

The deer apparently had somewhere to go and that was about 60 yards directly in front of our stand. Arriving, they began to paw at the ground and pick at whatever corn that still remained.

We watched for about another minute when Emmy remembered how cold it was and suggested that we shoot one before we froze to death ourselves.

Like a pro, she glanced down at the dial on the Leupold 2.5-8x scope and turned it to 4 power and then shouldered the gun. The largest of the four deer was the on the right and broadside. I told Emmy to shoot when ready.

I waited for a few seconds and looked over at my daughter and about split a side trying to keep from laughing out loud. Her balaclava and skull cap had slid down over her eyes when she leaned forward to place her cheek on the stock. She muttered something definately not ladylike.

Reaching over, I held the gun in position while she re-adjusted her headwear and regained her sight picture. By then, the biggest doe had turned to face us so Emmy again waited a bit.

After a minute, our first chosen target moved behind a branch in the only tree in the field. Emmy stayed calm and asked if she could shoot the other grown doe. I replied affirmatively and my daughter leaned over towards me to allow a shot now more to her right, took off the safety and squeezed.

I had my binoculars on the deer and saw fur fly slightly in front of the last rib. Since the deer was quartering slightly away, I "knew" we'd shortly have a deer in the bed of the truck.

Well, I though I "knew". The dang doe ran about 20 yards and stopped and looked back at the other three deer which hadn't even moved. I guess it didn't take more than 20 seconds, but during that time, the three un-shot deer actually started feeding again while the doe Emmy had shot just stood there.

Because of the size of the window, my daughter couldn't get the rifle on the deer to shoot again unless she pulled the gun back into the blind and then shot from a side window, a difficult move, for sure. When I was going to take the rifle and shoot myself, the deer just fell over, stone dead. It's compatriots keep on feeding, unconcerned, even when Emmy and I gave a high five or two, shouted "Boo!" and finally ran only when I threw a bottle of water towards them. It's hard to train them like that.

We climbed out of the stand (after throwing out all the unbreakable stuff... climbing down that ladder with frozen hands and lots of gear wasn't in my plan) and walked over to the doe.

Emmy had shot the 3.5 year-old slick head perfectly. The shot had entered an inch or two forward of the diaphram (about 1/2 up) and angled to just behind the far shoulder. Interestingly, the bullet didn't exit (it was a cup and core type and at 3300 fps from a .270 WSM, probably was just pieces when it got to the far skin... I'm switching to a bonded bullet for the future, btw). The doe had been quite dead for the 20 seconds it just stood there, but she just didn't know it.

So what's this really all about?

1. Barbie Doll daughters can become hunting buddies. Don't think that only sons are eligible or interested. I gave both my girls the opportunity to hunt. It appealed to one and I'm blessed. The other likes to canoe so we do that for our outdoors time together. Different strokes, but all good!
2. We had a good time because we were prepared for the cold. I'm crazy. I will sit on a stand in Alberta in -15 C. all day long, but my daughter's love for hunting isn't as foolish as mine. She likes to go, but she's a lot more likely to go again if she's comfortable. Daughters are like that. If you take yours, make sure they have good gear.
3.We practice with a quality bolt .22 rifle (a Brno). It sure does make you feel good when you see your daughter comfortably settle down on the stock and not have her head wandering around to get a sight picture, then to watch her confidently and comfortably ease off the safety and set up into a good shooting position, cupping her hand under the stock and snugging the rifle to her shoulder.
4. Finally, and most importantly, a thanks to Saeed for allowing us to have AR. I met our host for this hunt through this forum (along with a couple of hundred other guys and ladies). Accurate Reloading is an amazing place. Emmy and I wouldn't have had the opportunity we had without it. My blessings to you, Saeed, my friend!

Emmy and the doe (after she "re-svelted")... oh, the vainess of youth! Dang! She took off warm clothes and got cold just so she wouldn't look fat! Note the red nose. Big Grin

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7594 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
Perhaps the phrase "things money can't buy", captures the joy of a healthy, life-long relationship with your children.

Merry Christmas!

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic. Wish my girl was more into outdoors and less into some half grown hippie boy named Justin Beaver.

Posts: 2826 | Location: Houston | Registered: 01 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
judgeG, great story and nice pic. Got a daughter in her mid twenties. Be careful trying to take those "un-vain" pics. Them girls can get mighty upset...even with Dad... Big Grin

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
Weidmannsheil to the skillful and fortunate hunter! Great story!

Congrats also to "Dad", who gets to enjoy quality time with his kids, what better way to have them grow up? Good looking lass!

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Congrats to both of you Judge!! What a great time, cold or not! There is nothing like time alone with the kids, expecially in the field hunting!

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JudgeG:
We arrived outside of Albany, GA about 3:30 p.m...

I was stationed at NAS Albany for almost 3 years. It got awful cold and snowed a time or two. Not what I expected for south Georgia.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
These types of posts are always my favorite! I would rather read about a dad and his kids out spending time together in the woods than just about any other type of hunting stories!

Drummond

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
she sure is alot more photogenic than the judge Big Grin tu2 oldbut of course that is obvious since the camera lens didn't break hilbily

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 25 yoa daughter shot two deer a 431 lb dressed bear this year. She hunts as hard as any guy. Daughters brought up properly make great hunting partners.

Good shooting and a good looking daughter to.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Great stuff...nothing like hunting with our own kids. Watching mine shoot does and turkeys is more exciting than 99% of the hunting I get to do worldwide. That is what hunting is about - special times. Glad you got to have that time with your daughter that truly is priceless...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great story. You are indeed a fortunate man. Cherish every minute you get with your daughters.

Posts: 326 | Location: Mabank, TX | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
Good on you Judge. Your daughter is a beauty. My girls have to "pretty up" a bit for trophy photos also. I love hunting with them. My eldest will be off to college next year-probably Florida-which is a long way from Oklahoma. I am going to miss her terribly and especially our fall tradition of deer hunting together. At least we will have a late doe season when she comes home for Christmas.

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
PWN:

Gainesville is only 2 hours from my house and 1.5 from my lease.

Ya'll come.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7594 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That very beautiful young lady came from you???

Congratulations on a great hunt with your daughter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to your daughter on the clean 1-shot Kill. Semper Fi!

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are indeed a blessed man!

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Way to go, Emmy! tu2 That's a very nice long nosed doe. Good eats for sure!

Ernest, sweetie, you ARE a class act. Your girls are very fortunate. I hope to hunt or fish with you again someday.

~Ann

Posts: 19248 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to the young lady on a successful hunt.

Congratulations to her Dad for raising a fine young lady that understands eating!

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4244 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations your honor! A beautiful girl and the sharing of a wonderful relationship... and a pretty nice doe to! tu2

An old man sleeps with his conscience, a young man sleeps with his dreams.

Posts: 777 | Location: United States | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
You should be proud. It's hard to beat spending time with the kids in the field. All three of my daughters are avid varmint shooters and some of my best memories of them growing up are the trips out in the fields with the rifles.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12603 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats to your daughter and proud Father.

You truly are a wordsmith.

In my part of South Dakota, our forecast for the next couple of days is highs in the single digits, wind chills between -20 and -30, and 12-18 inches of snow.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Ernest looking forward to meeting that young hunter in Dallas, you also.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
So what's this really all about?

1. Barbie Doll daughters can become hunting buddies. Don't think that only sons are eligible or interested. I gave both my girls the opportunity to hunt. It appealed to one and I'm blessed. The other likes to canoe so we do that for our outdoors time together. Different strokes, but all good!
2. We had a good time because we were prepared for the cold. I'm crazy. I will sit on a stand in Alberta in -15 C. all day long, but my daughter's love for hunting isn't as foolish as mine. She likes to go, but she's a lot more likely to go again if she's comfortable. Daughters are like that. If you take yours, make sure they have good gear.
3.We practice with a quality bolt .22 rifle (a Brno). It sure does make you feel good when you see your daughter comfortably settle down on the stock and not have her head wandering around to get a sight picture, then to watch her confidently and comfortably ease off the safety and set up into a good shooting position, cupping her hand under the stock and snugging the rifle to her shoulder.
4. Finally, and most importantly, a thanks to Saeed for allowing us to have AR. I met our host for this hunt through this forum (along with a couple of hundred other guys and ladies). Accurate Reloading is an amazing place. Emmy and I wouldn't have had the opportunity we had without it. My blessings to you, Saeed, my friend!

Emmy and the doe (after she "re-svelted")... oh, the vainess of youth! Dang! She took off warm clothes and got cold just so she wouldn't look fat! Note the red nose.

NTM...

quote:
His place is about 3.5 hours away from my Georgia coast home, so I was looking forward to some uninterupted travel time to catch up on father-daughter talk...

We talked about music, graduate schools, our upcoming trips to Dallas for DSC, our 2011 safari that we'll do in Matatsi 3 (for her buffalo) and even stopped on the way and bought a jon boat???

Amen, Judge, to all the above!

Congrats on yet another great time shared with your lovely hunting buddy.

The father-daughter talk time en route is always sweet... as are the casual whispers in the stand.

Blessings to you, Emmy and the rest of your family in the New Year!

Psalm 127:3-5
Behold, children are a gift of the LORD,
The fruit of the womb is a reward.

Like arrows in the hand of a warrior,
So are the children of one’s youth.

How blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them;
They will not be ashamed
When they speak with their enemies in the gate.

One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
Wonderful story. Congratulations to the young lady.

Makes me think of my granddaughter who is going on 4 now. She love's her granddad and I'm always telling her I'm going to take her hunting when she gets older.

It would be an honor to me if she turned out like your daughter.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
tu2 What priceless memories are made of!

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6805 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
congratulations to her on the success and you on giving her the opportunity to learn and enjoy something probably few women get to!

I have two daughters also, 3 and almost 5. they haven't started shooting yet but have no qualms about guns, will sit there and play while I plink at the birds stealing my fruit, and this summer while camping in Yosemite with a group of about 30 were the only kids (the youngest too, most were 13-16) that weren't freaked out when a small bear came to camp. My 4 yo said,"my dad will just shoot it" and carried on playing. they love camping and whether they end up wanting to hunt or not I think I've got them interested enough that they'll love the outdoors.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote