New
Find
Notify
Tools

elk bait
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We located them with the chopper when we did the game count in early December and haven't seen them since. Although my passion is whitetail I would not even concider shooting them from a chopper at this point, we are nowhere near that point in numbers. We counted 26 total which is where we want to keep it. As great as everyone says they are to hunt I feel pretty strongly about transplanting game and forcing it to adapt for my personal hunting pleasure. When I started this discussion earlier in the week I have to admit I was ignorant to what a challenge these elk could be from a sporting standpoint. My level of respect for these animals and the respect with which they are held is truely eye opening. Next weekend will be the first chance I will have to get back down there but I fully intend to hunt these animals.

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perry!

Good luck on your elk hunt, but be prepared to be frustrated. I promise, you won't be the first to frustrated by hunting elk in thick brush.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I said I was HUNTING, if I even find sign much less the whole animal I'll be thrilled. At this point having a new adventure to embark upon has me pretty excited. My perspective is I'm out hunting, life is good. I just really enjoy being out in God's creation regardless of the quarry or the kill. Plus the ranch has tons of cool song birds, predatory birds, tons and tons of arrowheads, you usually find a shed horn ot two when you get off the beaten path plus there are lots of bobcats and critters. Just getting out is good. Once you start running around its always rewarding.

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perry!
I like your philosophy on hunting. Enjoy your trip!

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
Perry,
I would gladly chase those elk around for you.
I've got a rifle that needs to be broken in.

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good luck Perry. I'm glad that you are going to give them a try, fair chase style. They deserve it.

Also, do be prepared for tough days. Elk can be flat-out discouraging at times. I have never hunted elk exclusively on flat, thickly covered ground. I'm sure it will be very challenging. If you have trouble, no need to panic and bait them. Wait until this fall and call them. I'll bet you don't regret it (maybe with such a small, isolated herd this wouldn't work?? Anyone know? Could be an interesting experiment).

Tracks will be deer-like but half again the size. They are not quite as delicate as deer, a little more round and cowish. You'll know the droppings when you see them. Oblong like an egg w/o the thick end, and around an inch long. They will be in a herd and very easy to follow, but they can cover tremendous terrain when they find it necessary. I'm sure they will have well established routes they are taking from grazing to water to cover areas. There are others here who could tell you alot more than I can about locating and hunting these critters, so I'll stop here.

Good luck. And come to think of it, it doesn't sound too bad to be chasing your elk around. You are a lucky guy.

Posts: 159 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 11 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about the rest of you elk guys but I would for sure try some ghosting along like a predator. I'd have a cow call in hand and do some occaisional mewing to see if anyone was home and would answer.

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perry- I spoke with my sis in SA today about this and she asked where you live from SA?

Thx

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Perry, Congrats on having a small elk herd.
For the other readers Perry's place is typical of South Texas now, for that matter Central Texas too. In the 1800's his area and most of Texas was all grass plains. Elk and Buffalo were in abundace up until the 1870's. The settlers and hide hunters killed off the buffalo and the elk were wiped out as a main staple for meat. Very few deer were there in the early days. We changed the country side by moving cattle from Mexico. The herds dropped mesquite and prickly pear seeds turning the Texas flora into what we have today.
By the way, I come from this information by letters and diaries my family has. My family settled in Texas in the 1820's. We still have a ranch in Central Texas.
Perry, perhaps you could introduce some buffalo and round out the game on your ranch.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We bought 4 bales of alfalfa at Mummies in Pearsall two weeks ago just to see how the animals would react. We broke two bales by a feeder ---- the deer and pigs spooked when they saw it later that day. I am sure it has been munched by now. Frio county hasn't had much rain since late spring and the vegitation is very crispy.

Posts: 208 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: 14 July 2004Reply With Quote