Find
Notify
Tools

Kodiak area Black Bears?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted
I'm planning a business trip to the Kodiak area of Alaska. I will be there over the Labor Day weekend + a few days. I am going with a group who wants to fish while we are there, and I want to slip off for a black bear hunt in the area. I have sent off for literature from a few outfitters up there, but would take any referrals you might have.

Also, I would like all the information I can get about the hunting there. Anyone done a Kodiak Region black bear hunt???

Posts: 1123 | Location: California | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My understanding is the island of Kodiak doesn't have black bears. I don't think the island is a 'region', unless you consider some of the smaller islands near it, but no black bear there either(if there are any, thats a new one on me).
You may need to head to the mainland coastal areas for black bears. ~~~Suluuq

Posts: 854 | Location: Kotzebue, Ak. | Registered: 25 December 2001Reply With Quote
<cubdriver>
posted
Africa
There are in fact, no black bears on Kodiak...sorry.

There are lots and lots of brown bears which require a guide for non-residents.

$12500.00 Should get you a real nice one.

May I make a suggestion... rent a car and take a drive out of town on any roads leading out(there are only two)and maybe do a little fox hunting. BE sure to take your Kodiak fox rifle.(.338 win. mag or bigger)

That's about all there is to do until the steelhead arriver in April!

PS Take your rain gear.
CD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Go blacktail deer hunting. They will be up pretty high at that time of year so you will need to hike for them. I am sure an outfitter would be able to handle that, or if your group flies out somewhere you could take off hunting from there. The road system has hunting, but you would do much better in the back country. Those big browns can be a problem once you have a deer down, so carry a big gun.

If you want a black bear, I would suggest you hunt on the Kenai Penninsula. There are quite a few blacks, and they should be up in the berries for spot and stalk at that time of year.

Posts: 323 | Location: Anchorage, AK, USA | Registered: 15 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N'gagi
posted Hide Post
I am aware there are no black bears on the island. That's why I said "region". I would be up for a short fly-out to a nearby area that could provide a bear hunt. I've heard they as as close as 60 miles.

A Sita sounds nice as a second choice. Kyler Hamann already warned me about "ringing the dinner bell" for the browns over there!

Posts: 1123 | Location: California | Registered: 03 January 2002Reply With Quote
<cubdriver>
posted
Africa
I didn't catch the part about you being in Kodiak over Labor Day when I read your first post...I thought you were headed down this winter. Rob is right about deer hunting and the bears. You might talk to Butch Tovsen at Uyak Air when you get in to town.
He'll give you good info on fly outs.

It's not really fall the first week of Sept...So the Alders will still be in full bloom. If you do hunt off the road ask Butch what the road conditions are like on the Saltery Cove road and around the Chiniak Cape area. Rent a 4-wheel drive or a pickup if possible.

Take a silver salmon rod with you... The silvers should be thick in the pasagshak river. There is a sporting goods store right by the harbor and they can give you some good info also. Kodiak is a beautiful place and and you'll have a great time.

The phone number I have for Uyak Air Service is 907-487-4443 that's an old one but directory can get it for you if that doesn't work.
CD

[This message has been edited by cubdriver (edited 01-11-2002).]

one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
Above post are correct. No Blacks on Kodiak. The Browns eat em. Sorry.

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote