New
Find
Notify
Tools

DOCTER OPTIC 3-9x40 any good?
 Login/Join

<gone hunting>
posted
DOCTER OPTIC 3-9x40 for $300, looks like a vary good scope but i've never seen one in person. anyone got one? had one? seen one? any oppion on them?

------------------
born on a mountain, raised in a cave, hunting and fishing is all i crave!

one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gone hunting:
DOCTER OPTIC 3-9x40 for $300, looks like a vary good scope but i've never seen one in person. anyone got one? had one? seen one? any oppion on them?

It�s the same factory as the former Carl Zeiss in Jena, old east Germany. I have had one and the optics were excellent. Nor did I have any problems of change of POI between high and low set. They are considered as among the best here in Europe - only Zeiss, Swarowski and Scmidt & Bender are considered better. If the scope is new, the price is quite OK. Today�s price here about 5-600 dollars.

Fritz K.

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
<1LoneWolf>
posted
Exellent scopes. Very good optics.
That is an excellent buy, I wish I had found it.

<gone hunting>
posted
i can't swing the cash right now so here's the link.
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1006107537

------------------
born on a mountain, raised in a cave, hunting and fishing is all i crave!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to be the lone voice of contention but I have to say that there is no such thing as a free lunch and my Doctor Optic 6x42 is not as clear, good in low light or ? as reliable as my Zeiss and Swarovski 6x42s.

To put it in context the gap is as wide as it is between Zeiss, Swarovski and Leica binoculars and the next level down ie pretty wide.

Just to reiterate in a recent independant hunting test the Leupold 3-12x50 (or thereabouts) won over a Swarovski. I've often wondered how a fixed Leupold 6x42 would fare.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post

A few years back I tested a Leupold M8 6x42mm
against a 7x50mm Meopta and a 6x42mm secondhand Swarovski Nova. In terms of optical quality and brightness, the Nova
was better at last light or in conditions of high contrast ie glassing deep shadows from
bright sunlight. The Nova also handled flair
better. The leupold had a longer eye relief but narrower FOV....it was lighter than the Nova as well. I went with the Nova and was very pleased...the scope still sits on a mates .270...What I would say is that the difference in optical quality at this level is not hudge and can easily be negated by poor cleaning techniques......

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Jordan>
posted
The ones which you sometimes see priced in the $300 range probably have the larger reticle. IMHO it is too large. I do not remember the numerical designation (4a or 8 or some such thing), but Doctor brought a bunch of them in years ago and they did not sell well because the reticle was not fine enough---much to large both at the intersection and the duplex part. I had one and sold it for that very reason. So be sure what reticle you are getting.

Jordan