New
Find
Notify
Tools

High Fence Hunting Poll
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This is a scientific survey so don't vote more than twice and no pontification please.

There is alot of controversy over hunting behind wire in NORTH AMERICA. You can vote for or against, no qualifications on size or terrain.

"I support hunting or shooting of Game Animals within enclosures".

YES or NO

You are limited to one succinct sentence in support of your vote.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
NO

And good luck on getting just one succinct sentence onthis topic.... [Wink]

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NO!

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted Hide Post
No.

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NO! I consider killing animals inside of a fence slaughtering them not hunting.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No

Two words; fair chase.

Posts: 71 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No.

I personally don't support it in N. America, but Money = Power, and we are going to lose this battle. Hunting WILL be a sport for the Rich in the next 50-100 years, here in the US. It's all about the almighty Dollar. To me my hunting heritage IS NOT FOR SALE! [Mad]
I am one of the most Law abiding hunters I know, but I am scared to think that when I am in my 60's, I may be sniping a fence to go poach one of the King's deer. Sad. [Frown]
(I'd quit hunting before I would stoop to that, but you get my point!)

[ 04-17-2003, 21:43: Message edited by: Mark G ]

Posts: 358 | Location: Stafford, Virginia | Registered: 14 August 2001Reply With Quote
<Rogue 6>
posted
Yes, shooting an animal on someones ranch for money should be legal.

No, it is not hunting! It is shooting.

<Doc in Texas>
posted
NO.

Doc in Texas

one of us
posted Hide Post
NO! The day I have to hunt inside a high fence is the day I give up hunting!

Posts: 548 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of kk
posted Hide Post
Bullshit.

It is not a scientific survey. You cannot get a random sample off an Internet web site. You cannot control who answers at all, let alone who answers more than once.

I think it's a great discussion topic, or it would be except you stand up like you have authority and tell people they can only have one sentence worth of support.

Sorry to sound irritated, but I am.

kk

Posts: 1224 | Location: Southern Ontario, Canada | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
<Sika>
posted
Unbunch your panties kk, it's just a poll.

Yes

It's not hunting, though, just the killing of farm animals. If that get's you off, go for it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kk:
Bullshit. It is not a scientific survey.

Really? [Roll Eyes] [Big Grin]

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
NO

Bakes

Posts: 7996 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NO.

What happened to Fair Chase?

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No. That stuff is for fat-boy, turd-tapping dingleberries.

one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted Hide Post
NO to calling it hunting.
Yes to calling it shooting.

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
[Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No
I won't personnally spend my money on it, but I don't have a problem with anyone else doing it.

Posts: 196 | Location: MN, USA | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Depends.

I hate canned hunting as much as anyone, but I will not condemn the fellow that hunts whitetails on 10,000 acres of fenced brush country.

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<GlennB>
posted
Yes, If it is a large, privately owned farm or ranch. No if it is penned.

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark G:
No.

I personally don't support it in N. America, but Money = Power, and we are going to lose this battle. Hunting WILL be a sport for the Rich in the next 50-100 years, here in the US. It's all about the almighty Dollar. To me my hunting heritage IS NOT FOR SALE! [Mad]
I am one of the most Law abiding hunters I know, but I am scared to think that when I am in my 60's, I may be sniping a fence to go poach one of the King's deer. Sad. [Frown]
(I'd quit hunting before I would stoop to that, but you get my point!)

Well said Mark! I do hope that your wrong about hunting becoming a sport for the rich only, but the indications are certianly there. The scraps that are left over for the general public after all the "pay for trophy" hunting is done are becoming less and less all of the time, but I am still hopefull that one day that bullshit will be exposed for what it really is (stealing the General Publics forest and wildlife for gain) and that wiser minds will prevail like my signature suggests. [Wink]

to keep to the subject, YES! If a canned hunt gives someone a thrill then fine, even worthless yuppie dweebs should be entitled to some sort of a hunt. Hopefully they will shoot themselves in the process. [Big Grin] As long as the animals killed are NOT PUBLIC WILDLIFE and the program is not funded by the taxpayers dollars then go ahead.. Just keep it the F*@K out of the gun rags and off of my TV because I would rather watch little house on the prarie than that shit... [Wink] Oh! was it just supposed to be one line? [Big Grin] [Embarrassed] [Big Grin]

Posts: 10160 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
Yes to exotics(they should be kept within a high fence anyway).

No to native game(not realy wild then). Some ranches are big enough to keep it fair chase but I won't be spending my money there. I live in one hell of a hunters paradise. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
yawn, yawn......this kinda topic belongs on the politics page

Posts: 466 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 20 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
Yes.

A fat-boy, turd-tapping dingleberry (I think I got that right),who has two freezers filled with Axis, Blackbuck and Elk.
aka

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
no but the size of the enclosure has got to count for something.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Nope

Posts: 42 | Location: Wild and Wonderful New Mexico | Registered: 12 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes
Not everyone can spend their whole life scouting for deer, some folks have to get out and work for a living.

Posts: 336 | Location: Alabama, U.S.A. | Registered: 19 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NO!!!! For all the reasons already listed!

Posts: 258 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
id hardly call it hunting

Posts: 121 | Location: Central VA | Registered: 13 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greenhorn:
No. That stuff is for fat-boy, turd-tapping dingleberries.

Could you define that??

It seems like a really fun insult, but I'd like to know what it is before I use it.. [Big Grin]

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes
As long as unwelcome deer dogs can legally run through my property and under my stand [Mad] All the handler has to do is make a good faith effort to stop them. Right!!

Roads

Posts: 105 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes.
As long as the area is big enough. Don't care for pen shooting.

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes.

Drive 10 miles east. Drive 10 miles south. Drive 10 miles west. Drive 10 miles north. Inside that 100 square miles find a whitetail buck. Not fair chase? Please. How many deer roam over more than 100 sq miles in their life? Size must be taken into account or you can't have a serious conversation about the topic.

PS I've never done it but I might under the right conditions.

Posts: 167 | Location: Woodland, CA USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
YES! If lots of acres and habitat!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not for me, thanks. I enjoy the *hunt* too much. Coming home empty-handed isn't the end of the world.

quote:
Originally posted by Mickey1:
"I support hunting or shooting of Game Animals within enclosures".

I see it as shooting , not hunting .

posted Hide Post
Not only yes but "HELL YES" So long as there is enough territory. I don't have to try and prove my manhood by traipsing all over the country and going home smelling like a man and thumping my chest and screaming "I am a hunter" uggg ugg ooh ooh! Now spread your legs woman! [Mad]

Posts: 11 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wait a minute...I think our "scientific" survey, has gotten a little confusing.
Do you mean, as previous stated "high fence" hunts, aka, the animal cant leave the vicinity, or the range of the hunter???
Or 1000's of acres of private hunting land, that allows the game to leave the private land, at their leisure??
I hunt the latter. And see nothing wrong with that...period.
This allows me to get off work, board an aircraft, and fly to my hunting area, and compete with all that nature has to offer, but NOT compete with 100's of other hunters, scaring game, loose dogs, etc.
Iam self employed, I get very little free time to hunt, fish, or even see my family unit, for Pete's sake.
These types of private ranch hunts, give me the best opportunity to harvest a trophy class animal.
High fenced hunting, on limited land, or "guaranteed kills", is not MY idea of hunting, mind you...but, that's their rodeo.
I dont have time to scout for my own game, God knows I wish I could.
You see, my idea of a long weekend, is Sat. and Sun. off from work.
"guaranteed hunts", not fair chase, NO...
Private land, w/ the animal able to leave said private land.....you bet....sakofan...

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
So if high-fence hunting is unethical, regardless of the parcel's size, then that makes fishing on lakes unethical, as well. Where can the poor fishies go to escape???

It's ridiculous! Just like you don't always come home with a stringer full of fish from a lake every time, so you don't always bag an animal on a fenced parcel.

As alluded to above, it's not the fence that makes it unethical, but any "guarantee." The two don't always go hand-in-hand. Anytime that word is used in reference to a "hunt," then there's an ethical problem, no doubt.

On a related note, the increasing recurrence of Texas- and SW USA-bashing, however subtle, is getting old around here. We don't need to be dealing with this self-righteous crap from each other.

It may surprise some folks, but there are not a lot of public land hunting opportunities down here. So, unlike some of our more ethically enlightened Northern brethren, we have a little more invested in our hunts than the cost of a box of shells (amortized over 15 years) and half a tank of gas for the trip to the National Forest.

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote