New
Find
Notify
Tools

High Fence Hunting Poll
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
"Here Here" RSY, very good reply and I am with you! I still like to have something to eat after I hunt, not every time I go afield but it does fill my freezer. Most of my hunting in wide open Wyoming is done on less than a 1000 acres, no fences but the game is congregated in certain areas and that is where I hunt. A 1000 or 5000 acres fenced ranch with habitat and places to hide is no different than where I hunt. I doubt anyone runs them into a corner of the fence and shoots them. I hunted RSA on a ranch of 12,000 acres with a 6 foot game fence. I seen many species, including a cow eland, clear that fence or go through it. Like Eltigre said "I don't have to prove my manhood" A clean kill and eating what you shoot is more important to me. I have hunted whitetail on 120 acres of thick brush and had to hunt 4 days to just get a shot. "It's what you make of it"!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RSY:
So if high-fence hunting is unethical, regardless of the parcel's size, then that makes fishing on lakes unethical, as well. Where can the poor fishies go to escape???

If I was SHOOTING those fish, this might be a logical argument. Or, if I had to wait for a deer to actually come eat a certain piece of corn, or a certain apple, before I could claim him, maybe I could see your point.

Sorry, your logic just doesn't cut it this time.

[ 04-20-2003, 03:48: Message edited by: Cold Bore ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mickey1:
"I support hunting or shooting of Game Animals within enclosures".
YES or NO

Yes. I won't do it, but it's just farming by another name, and I won't support laws against it.

Tom

Posts: 14444 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I've done it and from that experience, my vote is a definitive NO.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From the looks of the bids on this ebay item... doesn't look like there's too many that are really into it. [Big Grin]

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3603160913

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes.

If some one wants to fish in a private pond, chop the head off the chicken or turkey he chooses to eat, or shoot the animal he wants with whatever weapon he wants. I think it should be up to the individual and the land owner. Level of chase, preperation, work, reward and memories of a hunt and if a person even considers a particular experience a hunt should be up to the individual and should be an option.

Posts: 94 | Location: WI MI border | Registered: 25 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The real question should be is it ok to own wildlife. And, the answer is no. Therefore, since wildlife cannot (or should not) be owned by anybody, because it is in fact owned by everybody, then fencing wildlife in is wrong. Is it legal to take all the water out of a stream for your own use just because that stream happens to run through your property, so your neighbors downstream are left with nothing? No, it is not. Same principle. If somebody wants a guaranteed "hunt" find a rancher with some cattle and buy one of those. Then feel free to go out there and pretend you are hunting. I bet it would be a lot less than the price of an elk too.

[ 04-20-2003, 22:19: Message edited by: Washington Hunter ]

Posts: 199 | Location: Rochester, Washington | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Yes. It's an issue of property rights, not hunting.

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SO, LEMME get this straight.
ANYONE been on one of those "guaranteed" caribou hunts?? How can you guarantee a hunt in THOSE lands.
You go up into the REAL wilderness and one way or another they put caribou in front of you, even relocate you to a different camp. it's not too difficult if the timing is right, because they are crossing by you in the hundreds.

Is that a "good" type hunt or a "bad" type hunt.

curious about the "definitions"

Posts: 624 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aren't most ranches in South Africa high fenced?
For those that don't agree with a high fence I figure they have never been and never plan to hunt in South Africa.

Don

Posts: 263 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No!
Mark G is right about hunting turning into a rich man's sport. I'm pretty sure it is not going to take 50yrs to get there. Maybe 15-20yrs most- look what has happened to license fees, average trespass fees, guided hunts and landlocked public ground.
Steve

[ 04-21-2003, 06:51: Message edited by: stevo ]

Posts: 81 | Location: nebr. usa | Registered: 03 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CZ 550
posted Hide Post
no

Posts: 477 | Location: Olyphant Pennsylvania | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes. It doesn't appeal to me but I'm sure it brings certain hunters to the sport that otherwise wouldn't or couldn't participate.

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Washington Hunter:
The real question should be is it ok to own wildlife.

Hmmm...an interesting point. I'm stuck in the middle on this; all domesticated species were wild at one time.

Tom

Posts: 14444 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tom, that is true...would you like to see the few species left become domesticated? Why is it that man feels like everything has to be conquered? Wouldn't it be nice for future generations to have wild deer and elk? Without seeing them on every farm all over the country? I don't think they would be all that special and unique like they are now.

Posts: 199 | Location: Rochester, Washington | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
<Armed in Utah>
posted
NO........get real........if you want to 'shoot' something, go shoot a steel target. OR go 'fair chase' hunt.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Washington Hunter:
Tom, that is true...would you like to see the few species left become domesticated? Why is it that man feels like everything has to be conquered? Wouldn't it be nice for future generations to have wild deer and elk? Without seeing them on every farm all over the country? I don't think they would be all that special and unique like they are now.

I don't know about this; there are not many wild cows left, except the ones that are just too big to fence in.

There are some deer/elk farms already, and it has not done any noticeable harm except for the fact that farming concentrates animals in ways that encourage the spreading of disease. The ranchers who complain about bison spreading brucellosis are avoiding mention of the fact that it was originally a cattle disease and it was ranchers who spread it to bison in the first place. Apparently CWD has been linked to the concentration of elk, also. I dunno.

Tom

<Rogue 6>
posted
Oregon is something like 90% public land. With all the farming and ranching the fenced farm hunt is no big deal its like shooting beef or a pig. When the "Fair Chase" ANTI hunting freeks got hound hunting stopped in Oregon for Bears and Cougars, they got a lot of non- bear/cougar hunters to think that hunting behind a hound was like going to the grocery store and it was somehow "murder" as PETA would say. They divided the Oregon hunters and they conquered us. Oregon's deer hurd has been cut in half in less than 10 years. In some units we have 100% fawn mortality of deer and antelope from bear and cougar, (with the help some coyotes to be honest). The comments went something like, "well hound hunters are the white trash of the hunting community, so what if they go away, more game for me." Well I hunted behind hounds. Try chasing a bear up and down and though the jungles of the Cascades. I hunt pheasants that are planted by Fish & Game. I went steelhead fishing before work this morning and hooked up on a nice hatchery hen. Hypocracy is a wonderfull thing.