Find
Notify
Tools

Got a new action...What Caliber?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted
Greetings all, I just picked up a new action at a gunshow. It is an early '60's vintage FN Supreme Magnum action (commerical Mauser 98 action). It is so new there isn't even a worn spot on the bolt face. (all for the outrageous sum of $200)

Right now I own a .243, .300 H&H, .35 WAI and a .375 H&H. So what should I think about turning this into?

Considering my taste for vintage calibers, my choices right now are .257 Wby, .338 Win, or .416 Rigby.

I'm mostly going to be hunting desert Mulies and elk. Perhaps a trip up to Alaska soon and maybe one day to Africa. But I'll be spending 85% of my time in Arizona.

Thanks in advance,

------------------
It is not enough to fight for natural land and the west; it is even more important to enjoy it. While you can. While it's still there. So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends...Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to the body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those deskbound men with their hearts in a safe-deposit box and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this: you will outlive the bastards.

- Edward Abbey

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
JL,

Is it a magnum-length action or is that just the name? (Forgive me, but since there are few LH Mausers, I don't know all the variants).
If it's a magnum-length action, by all means build a .416 Rigby (or a .450 Rigby if you want to hunt thick-skinned dangerous game someday).
If it's a standard-length M98, a .257Wby is a grand cartridge for mule deer. A .338 (or .340Wby. or .330 Dakota) is super for both deer and elk).
Each of the three cartridges you mention are versatile. It's up to you to determine what kind of hunting you want to do with it.
George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted Hide Post
The Magnum means it was probably imported in .264 Mag, it's not a Magnum length action.

It's just what FN called them.

And thanks!

<txhunter>
posted
Why not the vintaged turdy ot sics. I mean it outdates all the rest.

posted Hide Post
FN magnums were nothing but a standard length action opened up for H&H magnum cases. I've seen many of them and they make into a fine rifle. Since it is a magnum receiver, the 30/06 case is out unless someone switched bolts on you! It will not work for a Rigby case, you'll have to use something on the H&H case, or possibly on the 404 Jeffrey case. Hmmm.....

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
If it were mine i know what caliber it would be. 9.3x64 in a Lothar-Walther barrel

Posts: 1117 | Location: Helena, MT, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
<1LoneWolf>
posted
Well, you have an empty spot in there between the 243 and the H&H, so perhaps:

The 7 X 57 Mauser or the 6.5 X 55 Swedish would both be a nice additions.

Either one gives you the vintage roots you want, and also fills a spot that you don't have taken care of just yet.

Not to mention that both are great old calibers that have proven themselves in the hunting field.

<1LoneWolf>
posted
Sorry on above post, I didn't see it was a magnum sized Mauser.

<Mike Dettorre>
posted
2nd vote for 9.3x64 Bren

One of Us
posted Hide Post
.404 Jeffery would probably work but, if not ,why not a .470 Capstick? Not a "vintage" calibre but cool!

[This message has been edited by JohnTheGreek (edited 01-15-2002).]

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for you input!

After much consideration, and a nod to where I'll be hunting mostly, I've decided to have it built in .257 Wby. It'll work great for antelope and SW Arizona's famous "three taco mule deer" (you get about three taco's worth of venison from them ).

I'll wait until I find a nice Rem M30 action to make up a .416 Rigby.

Once again, thanks all!