Find
Notify
Tools

NJ Bears
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011...red/?test=latestnews

Even the bears in NJ are rude.As the bear population there continues to grow there's still lots of opposition to hunting them. The animal lovers will never learn. I wonder what the conditions around the camp are as far as keeping things clean and educating the kids.Maybe I can find out as I live not too far away.

I should also comment on the reporting.A bear , even a young one is a powerfull animal . If it truly "attacks" it will do a lot of damage.In this case with minor injuries I wouldn't call it an attack !

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
bear season desperately needed there!

Posts: 5709 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, we're back on hunting Bears, with a successful season accomplished last year. Our new governor (Christie) is a no-BS Republican, and I don't suspect we'll have any problems having an annual Bear hunt going forward.

Posts: 20142 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It didn't happen !!! Eeker

The news this morning said the authorities found the injuries [just scratches] were from previous injuries !

http://www.nj.com/news/index.s...ate_nj_official.html

So a young bear gets shot because of hysteria !

one of us
posted Hide Post
"The bear invaded the camp where a group of nine inner city boys and two counselors were sleeping at about 4:30 in the morning Wednesday. It pulled at a sleeping bag and swiped at a tent and knocked it down, Herrighty said. "

Should have been shot any way any bear that is that bold needs to be kill.

The young bear gets shot because he was a danger to humans.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ladies and Gentlemen:

If you are going to stash goodies in your tent, and a bear wants them, then you are officially in the way. I have no sympathy.

While participating in Scouting over thirty years ago here in Pennsylvania, and particularly at Philmont, we were told to elevate our goodie stash in bear bags, suspended between trees. Sometimes the bear won.

Man, these camp counselors don't know squat.

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

Posts: 2594 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Man, these camp counselors don't know squat

Exactly.. Bear was only doing what bears do..

Posts: 59 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 08 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am so tired of hearing excuses for bears any bear that shows that little fear of humans should be shot on sight.

We are not lacking in the number of blackbears they are not endangered at all in a lot of places they are over populated.

Killig the few that cause trouble is a good idea
helps weed out the overly bold gene from the pool.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear Pdogshooter:

How about we stop using excuses for ignorant or stupid people.

Hey, maybe the black bears can help with that defective human gene pool.

Maybe you are on to something, but you have the players reversed.

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yale:
Ladies and Gentlemen:

Man, these camp counselors don't know squat.

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

They're from Jersey! Do you really expect them to know anything about bears or even nature? Everyone I ever met from Jersey was clueless about anything that didn't sit on a concrete pad.

Posts: 2940 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice. | Registered: 26 September 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The bear has been "euthenized" . thumbdown

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear Mete:

Well, that sucks.

Yo Flags:

What, making fun of the state of New Jersey with the distinction of having the highest number of superfund sites in the nation?

You mean the "armpit of the east", New Jersey?

Actually, there is plenty of farmland and pine barrens left, so the locals understand bears, just like here in Pennsylvania. We had one wander into a Wendy's parking lot in West Reading, Pennsylvania because the dumpster smelled so good.

Hungry bear that smelled something tantalizing in a campsite in New Jersey, and humans got in the way, what else can you say?

By the way, did you know that a black bear can sprint at 40 mph? I saw it happen at the BSA Scout ranch in Philmont, New Mexico in the summer of 1978. Impressive animal.

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

one of us
posted Hide Post
It seems like they bonce off the trees when they really get going.

Theycan cover a lot of ground with a pack of hounds on their tail.

The really big ones don't seem to travel as far as a long skinny one at about 150lbs they well take a pack on a run.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
I am so tired of hearing excuses for bears any bear that shows that little fear of humans should be shot on sight.

We are not lacking in the number of blackbears they are not endangered at all in a lot of places they are over populated.

Killig the few that cause trouble is a good idea
helps weed out the overly bold gene from the pool.

I have long said that any bear that doesn't have the sense to show me only his rapidly receeding asshole needs to be a dead bear.

I'm not talking about a bear that runs away

I have a bear that lives in my neighborhood that I ignore. if he should do anything thay makes me do other than ignore him... well I don't believe in half-measures....

I also don't believe there are many problems in this world I cannot solve with several appropriatly applied 165gr 30cal projectiles at 2900fps

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[quote]Everyone I ever met from Jersey was clueless about anything that didn't sit on a concrete pad.

Were real educated on douche bags also, i can usually smell em from a couple thousand miles away moon

I killed my first deer with a bow so i guess i dont know squat about concrete pads. A couple of 600 plus blackies have been killed here also, it must have been with a cement truck cuckoo

Posts: 498 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
...any bear that shows that little fear of humans should be shot on sight.

I see it a bit differently. We are talking about a highly populated state where many bears see humans weekly, if not daily. Many of these bears probably get half their meals from outdoor dog food bowls, bird feeders, garbage cans and dumpsters. They routinely wander through back yards, onto decks, into garages, etc. Every municipality probably has a leash law that even keeps the dogs from harassing most bears.

Most importantly, NJ bears have a lot less to fear from humans than most places. The bear hunting season in NJ was closed from 1971-2009 with the exception of 2003 and 2005. This means a very limited number of bears that had bad experiences with humans during hunting season.

As mentioned, this bear doesn't differentiate between a tent, dumpster or a bush when it smells something interesting. Sounds like it was just doing something natural and even after all the ruckus to scare it away it was so used to humans that it was in no hurry to depart. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for removing any wild animal that clearly demonstrates aggessive or dangerously unpredictable behavior around humans.

Here is an interesting map that shows how closing hunting season helped boost the reports of human-bear interactions:

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yo fgulla:

Hey, show some of the non-New Jersey uninformed the great backwater body dumping grounds that the mob uses. That should get them to shut up fast.

Hey, I still like the armpit of the east, just not all the time.

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear Erict:

Thanks for the informative map and your commentary.

I agree, no bear season, lucky bears in New Jersey; maybe too lucky.

Here in Pennsylvania, I rarely see them, and if they end up in the Wendy's parking lot, it was because they were traveling. With a full fledged hunting season here, the bear probably know better.

But never underestimate human stupidity.

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

one of us
posted Hide Post
The bear in question was in the NW corner of the state ,the Kittatinny MTNs .That's where you would expect to find them. Then they put in a state forest ,campgrounds etc and the Appalachian Trail.The adjoining part of PA ,Pike Co has high bear populations too. Black bear populations everywhere are on the increase .REspect them they live there !

one of us
posted Hide Post
Why does California have all the lawyers but New Jersey has all the toxic waste dumps?

Ans: New Jersey got first pick.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been a young one hanging around the neighborhood this summer, so far not being a problem. They have been around northwest Jersey for years now their resident in west central. It'll go good with the Mt Lions that have been hanging around the last couple years.

Say what you want about NJ, but does your state have a deer season that lasts 5 months and has no limit for does? Oh yea we have an ocean to fish in the off season.

Posts: 154 | Location: Sourland Mt. , NJ | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Study: Most black bears that attack humans may see them as prey

Published: May 11th, 2011 12:34 PM
Last Modified: May 11th, 2011 02:33 PM

There are nearly a million black bears in North America, but over the past century and more they've killed only 63 humans, says a new study on black bear behavior published today in the Journal of Wildlife Management. The study's lead author tells The New York Times that the increasing rate of deaths in recent decades is the result of more humans entering bear habitat. What's more remarkable, says Stephen Herrero of the University of Calgary, is that the vast majority of black bear attacks are by male bears likely hunting for food, not females protecting cubs.

“Mother bears, whenever they feel threatened or a person is too close, they act very aggressively,” said Stephen Herrero, the study’s lead author. “They make noise, they swat the ground with their paws and they run at people. They want to make you think that they’ll eat you alive, but they almost always stop.”

By contrast, “the kind of bear you need to be afraid of is not feeling threatened by you — it’s testing you out as a possible prey item,” said Dr. Herrero, a professor emeritus at the University of Calgary. “It’s quiet. It stalks you just like a lion might stalk you.”

Most human deaths in black bear attacks have occurred in sparsely populated places, where the bears are less accustomed to human presence. Chris Morgan, a bear biologist currently featured on the Alaska-set PBS series "Bears of the Last Frontier," says black bears, with their tree-climbing abilities, evolved to be less confrontational than browns and grizzlies, which kill twice as many people.

Herrero says that based on his research, he believes people in bear country should just back away from mother black bears with cubs but should stand their ground and appear threatening toward a male black bear that seems predatory. "Stomp at it, throw rocks at it, whatever you need to do to convince it you’re not easy prey,” he says.

Read more at The New York Times.