THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Cabelas Self Guided Hunts, Opinions, etc.

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cabelas Self Guided Hunts, Opinions, etc.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was curious if anybody has any first or second hand information/ideas/opinions, etc., concerning the Cabelas self guided Alaskan moose and caribou hunts? They are considerably less than the equivalent guided version to the tune of being able to take 2 to 4 of these for the price of one guided hunt. Seems like one hell of a deal considering the quarry.

I�ll try and bring in the flier I have tomorrow such that I can add some of the details.

Thoughts?

Reed

Posts: 649 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 29 August 2001Reply With Quote
<Bill>
posted
I have heard some very good things about hunting with Cabelas.

One guy I know got burned by them a few years back on some sort of hunt, I forget what for, they sent him out again the next season and covered the expenses to make good. From what he tells me they offered this without being pressured, mostly out of concern for a customer who was unhappy.

I haven't ever heard of this type of service from smaller outfits.

------------------
www.rifleshooter.com

Save a plant, shoot a deer!

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Reed,

Drop camp hunts, or self-hunts or self-catered or what ever you want to call them work best for hunters who are experienced with the game sought and the type of environment. If yo feel to outfit for yourself, then go for it. If it is your first time, go with somebody who knows the ropes and can pass that knowledge on to you.

jim dodd

------------------
"if you are to busy to
hunt, you are too busy."

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's some details for those unfamiliar (source is their 2001 Big Game Hunting Trip catalog): (BTW, I'm cutting out some of the fluff description)

Alaskan Unguided Caribou and Moose Hunts

...the success rates in 2000 were 90% on caribou and not quite 50% on moose. These hunts utilize wheeled aircraft w. advantages over float planes by landing in more inaccessible areas where game conc's are higher. Weather permitting, there will be two flyovers (camp checks) and one relocation, if necessary. These are 6 & 9 day hunts w. a min. of 2 hunters & max of four, unless prior arr. have been made. Early bookings advised, especially for moose given the short season.

Rates:
$1895-fully outfitted 6-day caribou hunt (2nd caribou-$500+tag).
$2995-fully outfitted 6-day moose hunt.
$3995-fully outfitted 9-day moose and caribou hunt.
$1795-non-hunters and wingshooters
$225-charter from Anchorage to Base Camp

Includes: groceries, tent camps, all supplies, stoves, drinking water, transportation of meat, antlers and capes from hunting area to Anchorage. A complete list of supplies will be furnished upon booking.
Not included: airfare to Anchorage, charter, hotels, license and tags, transportation to airfield, excess luggage fees and personal gear.
Transportation: fly to Anchorage, AK, and overnight. You will be flown to camp the next day.
License: purchase license and tags over the counter at the main lodge on Lake Clark by either cash or cashier's check, etc.
Must be US resident to hunt unguided in Alaska.

Posts: 649 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 29 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 259 | Location: Carolina | Registered: 11 September 2001Reply With Quote