New
Find
Notify
Tools

A rifle for the worst of times...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Once again we embark on a cyberspace fantasy trip with has no demands to ever set foot on reality. And, of course, the more esoteric and obscure the information, the more points awarded.
THE survivor cartridge is the .22LR. A couple of bricks of them --1500 rounds-- weigh little more than a couple of boxes of 30-06 ammo --40 rounds. They are found everywhere. Break into 10 houses on a block and 5 or 6 of them will have some sort of .22 ammo. And replacement weapons for that matter. Not so with the .9267-1/2 Ethiopian Bumfarter. They will kill a deer; they will kill a man. As a sidebar, there are more folks killed in the USA with a .22 than all of the other cartridges combined. We are talking about rabble here, trash, not disclipined troops. Have a couple of them yell, "Sheet, he gots a gun", or, better yet, "Ohmygod, I been shot, I been shot." and I'm pretty sure they'll go looking for easier pickings.
For weapons, I choose a Ruger MII pistol and a 10/22 rifle. I am sure there are others but I have experience with these two and know they are utterly reliable. And reliablility of equipment is a good first step toward surviving.

BTW, peep sights on the 10/22. Nothing to break.

Posts: 367 | Location: WV | Registered: 06 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IWZBEEMAN
I agree with your analysis, but I would pick the 22wmr. Twice the power for hardly any extra weight. Plus it comes with better bullets.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark, who and what are the posters with the <xxxxx> handles and no accompanying info?

As to the posted question, .22 LR in any one of the reliable autos in my locker. No brainer. The primary issue of survival is not engaging in firefights. IF you have to take the offensive, weapons of suitable nature can be harvested when needed, hopefully you have enough sense to do this on your terms. A well placed shot from a .22 LR will do a DRT on any person or deer in the continent. More to the point they make little sound(big +) and destroy little meat. Differentiate survival from combat, they are not the same thing.

A comment about the Black Rifle. 2.5 years in Nam, '69-72, and I have yet to have a malfunction with one, nor did I serve with anybody that did. Not arguing the experience of others at an earlier time when improper ammo and lubricants were supplied for the gun. My personal experience involved the -16 and CAR 15, I worked a cleaner environment than grunts but probably cleaned the gun less, even though it was fired much much more. IMO the move to heavier bullets was a mistake in later editions.

As Pecos said, it is a combat rifle, not a survival tool.

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DigitalDan, there do seem to be some on this particular thread who have given the subject considerable though. You are right, we must differentiate survival from combat, even though there may be some overlap.
If it is just riots and looting, well, I think the idea of sitting tight, and waiting for the police to restore order is a good idea. I have plans for that.
If it's TEOTWAWKI, then I have a different set of plans.
But you are right, Different tools for different jobs.
BTW, the M-4's we had in East Timor, and the sandbox work just fine. As long as you keep them clean, they just keep on working. The only trouble we ever had, came from the mags getting dented.

Cheers, Dave.
Non Illegitium Carborundum

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TNEKKCC
You have a wicked sense of humour my friend!!!!!!!!!!
quote:
Originally posted by tnekkcc:
I was in a BB gun fight in 1965, and the important thing I learned was to have the good BB gun fighters on MY side.

In a squirt gun fight, I once got on the roof with a water hose with a nozzle. I was a machine gun nest. They took me out by pinching my hose. That's when a guy really needs a water balloons. They are grenades.

Later in the Jr. high cafeteria, a food fight broke out. That is a riot. The riot gun of choice was flicking a table spoon of baked beans. When the food fight gets dirty, go for the stains on their clothes. I could have learned more tactics that day, but I was distracted when a bean went down Dawn Galetzig's cleavage. Not many girls packed that kind of distraction, and she took me out of the game.

Yep, sometimes I think I grew up in the movie "Sin City", and it's time to buy some surgical tubing for tourniquets.

Posts: 223 | Location: Qld, Australia | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DigitalDan:
Mark, who and what are the posters with the <xxxxx> handles and no accompanying info?

As to the posted question, .22 LR in any one of the reliable autos in my locker. No brainer. The primary issue of survival is not engaging in firefights. IF you have to take the offensive, weapons of suitable nature can be harvested when needed, hopefully you have enough sense to do this on your terms. A well placed shot from a .22 LR will do a DRT on any person or deer in the continent. More to the point they make little sound(big +) and destroy little meat. Differentiate survival from combat, they are not the same thing.

A comment about the Black Rifle. 2.5 years in Nam, '69-72, and I have yet to have a malfunction with one, nor did I serve with anybody that did. Not arguing the experience of others at an earlier time when improper ammo and lubricants were supplied for the gun. My personal experience involved the -16 and CAR 15, I worked a cleaner environment than grunts but probably cleaned the gun less, even though it was fired much much more. IMO the move to heavier bullets was a mistake in later editions.

As Pecos said, it is a combat rifle, not a survival tool.

Digital
Agree with 100% as usual - a genuine voice of reason and experience.
I would add if possible - use WW Subsonics and suppressor for nice quiet low profile use of the .22 LR.
A great number of those here would agree to the amazing accuracy possible with this little round as long as the range is soundly defined.
APB

Posts: 223 | Location: Qld, Australia | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know if RWS still make their subsonic HP? Those little rounds would give me tiny groups, all day, out of my Browning T-bolt.
But I haven't been able to find any for ages.

Cheers, Dave.

Cheers, Dave.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slingster:
In such extreme circumstances, shouldn't you stick with the military cartridges: 7.62 NATO, 5.56 NATO, and 9mm? You'd be guaranteed a supply of ammo and even replacement weapons.

This is the only way to go! You need a 7.62 NATO, a 5.56mm and 9mm.

Posts: 1547 | Location: Lafayette, Louisiana | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of byf42
posted Hide Post
model 94 in 30-30!

*We Band of 45-70er's*

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Posts: 497 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MajorCaliber, I have to agree with Digital Dan on this one, the .22lr or .22wmrf, if I could have only one gun, and I had to carry everything on my back.

Cheers, Dave.

Cheers, Dave.

one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
Well, with all the nuttiness in NOLA and the talk of the avian flu, a few friends and I thought about this last weekend.

The choices were.
A 22LR rifle. Plenty of ammo, and good for small game hunting.

A 9MM or .45 ACP pistol. The 9 is more common, but we all have a .45 with a few hundred rounds. Plus I have a store of componets to make at least 500 rds (long winter project).

A .30 deer rifle, either 30-30, or .308. Both are very common, and do to a MAS project we did a few years ago my friend and I have a thousand rounds of old mil surplus rounds.

An AR-15 or SKS. Again, plenty of ammo, great realibility, and we already have both on hand.

If possible, a 12 gauge for close in work.

When we run out of ammo for hunting, a recurve bow.

But in reality it would be the .45, .22LR, and the SKS.

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote