New
Find
Notify
Tools

7-08 v. 30-06
 Login/Join

<Don Krakenberger>
posted
My hats off to you guys. You spent alot of time doing info on a comparison that never should have been made!!

<Big Stick>
posted
Don,

Welcome to this discussion. From your enthusiasm,I assume you are a card carrying Member,of the 7-08 Clan................(grin)

<J Brown>
posted
Bigstick

Why are you comparing 600 yard velocities of two cartridges that are rarely used over 300 yards? I guess you are running out of BS.

Why not compare these figures at the ranges that game is taken, 200 yards for example? While you are at it why don't you compare your maxed out 140 at 2800 to a 180 at the 30-06's max of 2800fps.

Shot placement is the most important factor in the killing of game. With any placement the 30-06 will do more damage than a 7-08 with the same bullet placement.

Your comment about me jumping up and down and screaming has me wondering if you think I am going to blow a gasket over our little disagreement. Nothing could be further from the truth, I have enjoyed this discussion from the start. You seen to hold the 7-08 to the same high regard that I reserve for the 30-06. We all have our favorites and I am sure yours will always serve you and well as mine serves me.

Jason

<Big Stick>
posted
Jason,

"You seen to hold the 7-08 to the same high regard that I reserve for the 30-06. We all have our favorites and I am sure yours will always serve you and well as mine serves me".

That is what I said all along pard,they are largely the same animal. The 600yd figure,is an indicator regarding velocity/energy retention. It too,is very similar.

I never posted anything,that remotely resembled BS. It is obvious,the 7-08 stands on it's own merit,despite what my thoughts may be,in regard to that cartridge. It has the numbers,to suggest it is superb in relation to it's diminutive size. In application,it actually performs in a manner,the numbers can't quantify.

It isn't a flashy cartridge,is overlooked by many and that's too bad. I think many could benefit from it's gentle nature and it would help them do better work,on the average.

The two,with good bullets,will catch critters in similar fashion. That despite minute differences in both SD,BC and paper "energy".

I'm constant in what I know and say. Placement and projectile construction,are the two most important criteria in the administering of terminal effects.

I'd just as soon do it with a rifle a smidge lighter,smidge shorter,of less recoil and a smidge more accurate. None of those things are sacrifices,rather attributes.

To readily "out do" either offering,you must gravitate to another class of cartridge. You like the 338Win. I prefer the 338Ultra,for it's versatility. That is worthy of another Thread. I really LOVE the BIG 30's. The 30-8mmRemMag,my favorite to date. It's velocity increase,allows it to do things the 7-08 or 30-06 can't. Smashing critters from afar,foremost in my mind.

Yep,I agree. Pretty good thread............

<J Brown>
posted
Bigstick

Along with your attributes there are also sacrifices, namely less bullet weight and less frontal area.

If you shoot a 7mm 140gr Barnes X through an animal at 2800fps it will do less damage than a .30 180gr Barnes X as the same velocity. The 30cal will leave a larger wound channel.

It seems you are willing to give up the extra bullet weight and frontal area of a 30-06 for a smaller cartridge with less recoil, less energy and a tiny bit more accuracy.

I don't think either of us will be tossing our favorites aside any time soon and that is fine by me. You keep yours, I will keep mine. Both cartridges are pretty darn good.

Jason

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 7-08 is a nice little deer and feral hog cartridge but comparing it to the 30-06 or even the 308 is just making your pup look bad. By the way the numbers you talk about are just that and game animals can't read. Given equal SD's the most mass wins given equally designed bullets.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Rick, you're wasting your breath. He's another self-styled expert with just enough experience to be a know-it-all but not enough to know much.

Brad Amundson

posted Hide Post
I think we may be overlooking an important consideration. Assuming similar velocities and comparable bullet construction, the higher potential to shatter hip bones on entry and still reach the vitals, break both shoulders from the side rather than just one and anchor a heavy animal with less than ideal shot presentation all lie with the larger, heavier projectiles.
While I too find the 7mm-08 a wonderful cartridge, I simply don't expect it to provide all that the .30-06 does on the heavier game using heavy for caliber bullets.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
<sure-shot>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Brad:
He's another self-styled expert with just enough experience to be a know-it-all but not enough to know much.

Brad Amundson

Brad,
And do you not fall under this category? How can you know how much "experience" Big Stick has? Have you hunted with him? Big Stick is voicing his opinion on the 7-08. You state you have a 7-08, but have you slain anything with it? With the X bullet? Not picking on ya but some real-life experiences with this cartridge to back up your talk would be nice! sure-shot

<Big Stick>
posted
Brad,

I'm an expert on nothing and content to wallow in my nothingness. Don't be mad at me,for having more than a passing familiarity,with a certain cartridge/bullet combo or two.

If you take exception,to anything I've cited,please point it out and I'll do my best to elaborate.

You seem pissy,because I asked you if you had trouble with the 7-08/X bullet combo on Elk. Your schoolgirl antics,seem to indicate,that you didn't use that combo and are incensed because of it.

While colorful reading,I miss the crux of your point................

<Don Krakenberger>
posted
If comparing a 7-08 to a 30-06 is actually worth the time.....then.....I feel compelled to start the next post---.243 vrs the 7-08!!
MAN, the 7-08 and 30-06 should NOT be compared. Take a .280, 30-06 and 7 mag and now you can talk about.....nothing--it probably doesn't matter. Wow, the nuclear missles are about to be unleashed on central Wisconsin!!! Have a great x-mas--

<heavy varmint>
posted
The only real experience I've had with either round is with groundhogs to deer and of course both kill groundhogs instantly and on deer I have always got complete penetration with both, none has ever shrugged off a bullet from either and I doubt that anybody could tell a difference between a deer shot with the 7-08 or the 30-06 but as I stated this is deer at 250 yards or less and not really pushing the boundaries of either cartridge. My point is I really like my 7-08 and prefer it to the 30-06 so where's the line? On what animal and what kind of shot angle can I kill with the 06 and not the 08?

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
BS

There is no need to concern yourself with my reading ability. Though I appreciate the kind jesture I assure you that mine is fully functional, however on the same subject, I never said that my "quotes" of your low opinion of the 30-06 were from this thread. In fact, if you look at the first post in THIS THREAD you will see reference to the thread from which I found "your exact quotes". So perhaps you should concentrate your concern for reading comprehension on your own abilities.

Now, as for the debate of 7-08 vs 30-06, really.. I could see some reasoning in prefering the 08 over the 06 "for certian game", and the same thing can also be said about the other side of the coin. The recoil is a moot point IMHO, any 7-08 loaded up to compete with an 06 will hurt just as much and niether are known for causing flinching.

As an Alaskan resident and an avid hunter I find it hard to believe that you feel there is nothing the 06 will do that a 7-08 will not. Evidently when you chose your handle you were not refering to your preferance in firearms. Size matters!!!

If you were a silloette shooter then I could understand your exuberance reguarding the 7-08 but I dont think your gonna get many buyers on the notion that it is superior to an 06 for taking game. The ONLY exception would be a slightly flatter trajectory for "slightly" longer shots on no larger than deer sized game and that is nothing that a 270 wont do! As others have said, bad comparison.

Happy holidays all!!

Posts: 10138 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
The comparison is accurate and with merit. When I need more,I grab the 338Ultra or one of my 375H&H Ackley's. Not that big of a deal..............

<'Trapper'>
posted
BigStick:
A couple of questions seem to be in order here: First, I blasted you in another thread because of your critical stand re the 30-06 and after reading all your give and take on this thread, methinks you doth like a good argument, no?
I warmed to your case when you stated something to the effect of "use what you like no matter what the headstamp may be." I have posted here before with the statement that the largest elk I have ever seen was killed by an old cowboy with a 32 Winc. Special under his leg. He said "It don't much matter what you shoot 'em with long as you put it where you want it." I don't think a 32 WS is a deer rifle much less an elk rifle but I didn't argue with him as me and my 375 H&H didn't have an elk of any size!
As for the 7-08 Remington, I can't really critcize this caliber as in fairness, it is better than some and not as good as others, depending on what you want from the gun. My experience to date has been limited to only five rifles in 7-08, a couple of mine and a couple that belonged to friends. The vbest of the lot, from Remington, Winchester and Browning, was a 700 that would shoot better than any of use could hold it just as it came from the box - but only after we found a load that it liked.
I'm now in the process of putting together the components to build another rifle, will sit on an FN '98 Mauser action with full length Mannlicher style stock and sport a 20" barrel - still not sure if it will see the light of day as a 7X57 or as a 7-08. Must decide soon and go ahead and order out a barrel.
Lastly, I would ask if you have ever worked or played in the area around Yakatat, AK in the Tongass NF? I have gone fishing there for years and dearly love that portion of AK.
Regards, and don't become fixated on the 7-08. It becomes too easy then to overlook or neglect the other wonderful calibers we have to play with.
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
Best regards,

------------------
'Trapper'

<Big Stick>
posted
Trapper,

I'm not fixated on anything. Last time I counted,I had 37different die sets. I shoot a little of everything. From big to small. I'm opem ninded.

I spent a Season in Yakutat,I think it was '87. I fished quite a bit,when I could get a ride(lived in a Log Camp and didn't take my rig there,so had to borrow a crummy,to go fishin).

I'll dig through the pictures,I've some good photos of both the Situk and the Dangerous River and some beautiful shots of Harlequin Lake with the icebergs.

Yakutat was my first Logging Camp and is what led me to love and move to Alaska..............

<'Trapper'>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Big Stick:
Trapper,

I'm not fixated on anything. Last time I counted,I had 37different die sets. I shoot a little of everything. From big to small. I'm opem ninded.

I spent a Season in Yakutat,I think it was '87. I fished quite a bit,when I could get a ride(lived in a Log Camp and didn't take my rig there,so had to borrow a crummy,to go fishin).

I'll dig through the pictures,I've some good photos of both the Situk and the Dangerous River and some beautiful shots of Harlequin Lake with the icebergs.

Yakutat was my first Logging Camp and is what led me to love and move to Alaska..............

BigStick:
I'm ahead of you by four; my last inventory had 41 sets of dies and probably time to stop some of this foolishness but oh, has it been a good ride! I have had two patient, tolerant and understanding wives and God bless them, that sure has helped. Now that I am retired, I'll hopefully have more time to run, jump, frolic and shoot!
I don't have any way at present to load up pictures or I would show you some world class silvers and some beautiful Dolly Vardens that I have caught over the years, also from the Situk and the Lost. One of my favorite spots - when it is "right" - is the Lost River at the mouth of Tawhay Creek (that may not be spelled right) just below the ruins of the old cannery.
Spent many pleasant trips in Yakatat doing everything from fishing to beachcombing to watching the bears in the Dump. Truly a great place to be.
Regards,

------------------
'Trapper'

<Big Stick>
posted
Trapper,

Wasn't racing ya',just making conversation.
I'm a lucky bastard,that married a woman,that deserves better than she got. She says she loves me and I take her word for it,as I count my blessings. Have three kids,9,4 and 10mo. Oldest and youngest,are boys.

I've always took time to Hunt and Fish and never let work get in the way. I use to measure a Hunting Season,by how many jobs it cost me!(grin) That drives my Wife nuts,as she is responsible and I am not.

You don't want to start the Fishing Lies,I'm steeped in them myself. When you get the photo process figured out,we'll do battle with fishing pictures. I suggest you roll up your sleeves,because you will have your work cut out for ya'................

[This message has been edited by Big Stick (edited 12-25-2001).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 7mm-08 cant match a 7x57 at equal pressure.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
gsf1200, roflmao!!!!!!!! you just like to keep the pot boilin', right? You're trying to make the old .243/6mm, .270/.280, etc, arguments keep going.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Infidel>
posted
In counting die sets, can I count the ones that I don't remember what they are?

Meanwhile, the 7mm-08 is one of the main cartridges that I can do without.

[This message has been edited by Infidel (edited 12-26-2001).]