Notify
Tools

BIG WILDBOAR
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BER007
posted
Hi All,
I want to hunt wildboar in european eastern countries. They are big with a weight between 200 and 250 lbs. Which are the best coutries for that? Romania, Poland,...

Wich caliber do you use for it? The more appropriate one.

I have 3 rifles:
a .308 win with a 180 gr bullet Swift-a-frame
a .444 marlin lever action with a 240 fr bullet
a .458 Win Mag with a 350 gr bullet FP interlock

Or I need to purchase an other rifle with a specific caliber.
Thanks for your input.

------------------
BER007
Keep the fait in any circumstances
------------------------
BBER007@HOTMAIL.COM

Posts: 831 | Location: BELGIUM | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at Turkey...they get as big as small ponies.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You would also get a very favorable exchange rate in Turkey, as well. However, an observant Muslim will not handle swine, so you'll have to do your own field dressing and digging out of the tusks.

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I love it when you guys Talk Turkey.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BER007
posted Hide Post
Bill and others,

I can't tell you in this forum what I'm thinking about Turkey and particularly hunting in this country. I want something in the north of this country. As I asked european eastern countries not south eastern countries.

------------------
BER007
------------------------
BBER007@HOTMAIL.COM

one of us
posted Hide Post
Think Iran will provide biggest boars today,they are not hunted much and are not to tough to stalk.

Posts: 363 | Location: Paris, France | Registered: 20 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I apologize, Ber, I didn't notice your geographic requirements.

Bulgaria has some truly large boars; a friend took one that was over 300kg. with huge tusks in the early '90s.

Poland has boar, and it is cheaper to hunt than Romania.

Have you considered hunting for boar in the U.K.?

As for rifles, for driven boar, your .444 with hard cast large meplat bullets or Nosler/Swift/X bullets will work well for fast, close shots.
Your .308 with the 180gr. Swift with a good variable scope (1.5x-3x on the lower end, 4x-9x on the upper end) will work on driven boar if you can work the bolt quickly, but it's even better if you are going to hunt from a hochsitz.

George

George

------------------

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi BER007, I hunted in Iran during the late 70's. I had a 270 Win since we also hunted sheep and Ibex. I also had a 12 ga double side by side. The 270 did OK with 150 gr but the 12 ga with one ounce slugs knocked em on their butts. I shot a 330 kilo hog at less than ten yards through the shoulders and the bullet did not exit-stopped on the off side shoulder blade. It knocked him down but he was back up almost immediately. A head shot put him down for good. His tusks measure nine inches on the outside curve from the root. The best hunting is between Tehran and the Caspian but I killed several around Isfahan. In the desert areas they are in the places where they can get water. Daytime hunts in these areas can be fruitful. When I was there hogs were considered vermin and there was no season or limit. Most Iranian hunters hunt them at night with lights. Hope this helps.

Posts: 915 | Location: Breckenridge, TX, USA | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BER007
posted Hide Post
Hi George, hi Bob,

Thanks for each reply.
A boar over 300 kg, why go to Africa? My .458 with a 350 gr FP will certainly do the job for this animal.
But in eastern countries the board are not so heavy.

George, I have boars in my country like in the UK but 2 times less heavy than in eastern countries and more expensive to hunt.

George, only two brands are available for me Honardy and Speer.

what do you think of these following bullets?
Which one can do the job?

for .308
Honardy 180 gr RN
Honardy 180 gr BTSP
Honardy 180 gr Sp
Speer Grand Slam 180 gr
Speer Hot-Cor RN 180 gr
Speer Hot-cor Spitzer SP 180 gr
Speer Hot-cor Mag-tip SP 180 gr

for .444
Heavier than 240 gr?
SP or HP?
Thanks

------------------
BER007
------------------------
BBER007@HOTMAIL.COM

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hornady 300 gr. XTP in the 444. For the 308 the Grand slam is the best but all will work.

Posts: 280 | Location: SARASOTA , FL. | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BER007
posted Hide Post
RCHAPURA,
With a Hornady 300 gr. XTP in the .444 Marlin, there isn't a lack of velocity to have a good penetration into these big wildboars. This because of hollow point and because of the weight of that bullet. Thanks for reply.

------------------
BER007
Keep the faith in any circumstances
------------------------
BBER007@HOTMAIL.COM

posted Hide Post
Ber,

In the .444, try the Speer 300gr. SP. It will expand reliably, and there is plenty of bullet weight for penetration (your .444 generates higher velocities than a handgun, and should drive the bullets deeper than a handgun).
If you prefer a little more velocity, use the 270gr. Speer Gold Dot SP.

In the .308, I'd use the Hornady 180gr. RN unless you expect long shots (more than 250m). The wider meplat would transmit a bit more shock. Otherwise, use the Grand Slam.

Is it your laws or availability that limit you to Speer and Hornady bullets?

George

------------------

one of us
Picture of BER007
posted Hide Post
Hi GeorgeS,
Glad to read you again.

There is no laws which limit bullets or calibers used. The reason why I focus on Speer and Honardy bullets is very simple I can have a very good purchase price same as you in the US. There is a very big dealer for these products in my country.

This is strange but I live in Belgium (Europe) US bullets are cheaper than european bullets like Lapua, Norma,.... I only have Lapua bullet for bench in .308 Win. These are 168 gr BTHP and I can only have good price for these bullets in this brand.

For my .444 Marlin I prefer Speer Uni-Cor bullet, I use 300 gr Speer Uni-cor for my load in .454 Casull. Great velocity, and not a big meat destruction. Thanks

------------------
BER007
------------------------
BBER007@HOTMAIL.COM

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ditto to the 300gr Speer soft point (make sure it's the one with the double cannelure)...I shot a mule deer doe with it at a little over 75yds with it and it completely pole-axed her...dropped on the spot, no further movement. Fist sized hole all the way through her body...(I hit her at the base of the neck in front of the shoulders) This bullet will do great...I have mine loaded to about 2200fps w/ 55-56gr of H335. I also use Marshall Stanton's 330gr LFNGC cast bullet, although I have yet to take any game with it. I have read of devastating results with those bullets on deer sized game though. Hope this helps.

------------------
God Bless and Shoot Straight

Posts: 264 | Location: Big Sky Country, MT | Registered: 12 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I wanted to hunt a big boar I would focus on Ukraine, north of Odessa. Another positive plus would the money exchange rate.

<350RM>
posted
BER,

As far as I know, there are HUGE Boars in Romania. A fr*iend of mine is going there once a month during hunting season, he regularly gets males htat are beyond 200kgs, with really big tusks (the biggest one is 26cm, if i remember well).
The only thing is to find a good outfitter for this country...
As for caliber, I would vote for the 308 (mine, in short version, worked well with grand slams) or the 458, if walking in mountainous country with a 4,5kg rifle does not bother you...
olivier

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 9.3x62 has near legendary status in Eastern countries. the .300 Win is regarded highly. If You shoot at night on a "Kirrung", meaning on a feeding place, out of a smaller, perhaps even heated "house", you should consider a night glass - 8x56 of European make. You should ask how the hunting is done, free or enclosed area, and decide which kind of hunting you like.

There sure are some impressing trophies out there.

Good shooting! H

------------------

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BER007
posted Hide Post
Dear Fellows,

Thanks for replies. I have lot of coutries suitable to make me happy with big wilboar. If it is not a money problem, what will be the best country regarding accomodations, hunting guides,....

I don't want to choose the cheaper country, and build a little house with trees in the forrest because nothing is good to sleep. I'm not MacGyver. I'm waiting your advices on it. Thanks.

------------------
BER007
------------------------
BBER007@HOTMAIL.COM