New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock for Model 70
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Win Model 70 Classic in 300 WM and want to drop it in a new stock. My goal is to increase accuracy and decrease weight with a design that is good at managing recoil. Any suggestions?

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I've an Hoghe overmolded w/ full bedding block on order for my .338. I handled one and found it very comfortable to handle under all weather conditions. Also it carries some sort of vacuum recoil pad that should cushion recoil effectively.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think one of the nicest stocks available for the Model 70 is made by Borden...they used to be called RimRock and were designed by Jim Cloward.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DB Bill,

I checked out their site. Those camo/animal patterns are toooo kewl!! [Big Grin]

If they promote accuracy like a McMillan and the designs tame recoil well, I'll have to try one.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nebraska:
I have a Win Model 70 Classic in 300 WM and want to drop it in a new stock. My goal is to increase accuracy and decrease weight with a design that is good at managing recoil. Any suggestions?

I just got a McMillian for my 300wsm and sure looks good. Had to wait about 2 months for the stock but well worth it. Tom

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Which model did you choose? Any idea on the weight?

[ 05-07-2003, 18:12: Message edited by: Nebraska ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
You can "adjust" the weight of a McMillan stock by telling them how you want it filled......ready to go with recoil pad etc most of them run pretty close to 30 ounces in sporter-type stocks....they can make them heavier if you want.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd like to cast another vote for the Rimrock. Mine weighs 28oz with studs and recoil pad.

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Neb,
My favorite Win 70 stock is the McMillan Supergrade. DB is right on with the weight specs, this stock weighed in at 32oz with "Weatherby -fill" in the action area,with pad and studs. I left the remaining "fill" choice up to McMillan. This stock really handles the recoil well, pay attention to the size of the butt. You want a stock that will require at least a medium size pad. Speaking of pads, you can't go wrong with a 1" Pachmyr Decellerator, they come in several styles.
 -

The Rimrocks are nice too, at least the ones I have seen. I prefer the Mcmillans only because I am a "swirl" color fan. MtnHtr

[ 05-08-2003, 02:29: Message edited by: MtnHtr ]

Posts: 254 | Location: USA | Registered: 30 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I went with a H S precision. They built a lefty for me, took a little longer to recieve. I had it painted like the Sharpshooter, winchester custom shop had a couple of years ago.

Posts: 310 | Location: middle tennesse | Registered: 05 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MtnHtr,

I like that swirl too. I've yet to see a better lookin' rig than the "Coyote Bomber"!!! [Big Grin] What's 'Weatherby-fill'?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Neb,
Correction, I should have termed it "Weatherby glass" which refers to the "fill" Mcmillan puts in its stocks. "Weatherby glass" is McMillan's 2nd densest fill, 40% resin & 60% fibers. Its plenty strong for the big boomers. The densest fill is "solid glass" which is 60% resin & 40% fibers, I've seen this heavy fill in alot of bench stocks. You're best bet when ordering a McMillan stock is to specify what stock weight you prefer and what cartridge the rifle will be chambered for. McMillan will then build it to suit your requirements. Do keep in mind that fiberglass is 10 times as strong as wood so a light spec'd McMillan will be plenty tough as long as you give them the weight and chambering desired. I've never order'd a lite spec'd McMillan so I cannot relay how lite McMillan can build one. MtnHtr

Posts: 254 | Location: USA | Registered: 30 May 2002Reply With Quote