THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    I think I am going to vomit - Bone Collector TV Show
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I think I am going to vomit - Bone Collector TV Show
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave Watson is an asshole!
I was booked on a caribou hunt at his request and my hunt was to be filmed for Bushnel's old show Secrets of the Hunt. Deposits paid plane tickets bought, etc. all the way up to Deception Bay, Quebec to hunt with Kanguk Outfitters two days prior to leaving I called Dave's office to touch bases with him and his secretary told me, "Dave has decided not to go or to send the film crew". Upon getting to camp Serge Tessier(owner)replied to my inquiries about the hunt/film and Watson's not comming, "who knows what that ass wipe is doing he has lied to me so often I can't keep track of them anymore".
When I returned with my 2 nice bulls and a good amount of film footage Watson contacted me to see if I'd let him use my film or parts of it to do a show that he was contracted with Kanguk to make. I guess you all can imagine what I told him. The crud wanted to do a film that was made up of clips from other hunters footage and pawn it off as his work, collect from Kanguk and from Bushnel....not hard to see why that show was canceled!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am not against all these shows. There are some fine ones out there. I love Trevor Gowdy's "Monster Fish." (I guess the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree.) Predator Quest ia another great show (it really does a good job of explaining calling strategy, and let's face it, hearing Les call is well worth it).

On the other hand, there is a lot of garbage out there as well.

One interesting thing about film is that those going on the hunts are securing long term sponsors. This is healthy IMO, because there is better transparency about who is footing the bill (the internet is perhaps the most opaque - many writers here pump products/services on the internet without revealing the financial nature of their relationship, which is now against the law).

The other benefit of long term sponsors is that outdoor communicators are limited to one rifle, one bino, etc. In print media, you write about whoever paid for the trip. Do you really think the product is great? I hope so! But if not, there is always the next gig. TV doesn't offer that - you are in long term relationship, for better or worse.

But trying different products is healthy as well. For the last several years I have gone on varmint hunts paid for by Browning. I never really tried their rifles that much, but I was stunned to see how well they shot. Winchester rifles have also been available on these hunts, but the X Bolts and A Bolts are so accurate that is what I used and wrote about.

In my writing, I always point out who paid for what. I have not always done so, but realized over time being up front with readers is the only way to go. I have the advantage of not living off my writing income, so I can be a bit of a nomad, but I wish everyone would do the same. I also point out when I pay for a trip with my own money; to me, that just enhances the marketing message of the products that I write about. After all, when I pay a ton of cash, I am not going to use junk.

CB obviously has a relationship with Ruger and Trijicon. I guarantee Trijicon's brand has been enhanced by this relationship. If these products didn't work, I am sure CB would use something else. Was Ruger the highest bidder? Who knows? Perhaps TC offered to front a lot of the cash...glad he picked Ruger!

When outdoor communicators form alliances, that means they are putting their chips with that provider. But even the most aggressive marketing won't convince many of us to start hunting with a TC - as evidenced by the brain shot on the buffalo, for example. CB himself wrly pointed out that TC seems to be everwhere these days. I can see if for muzzleloading, but frankly fail to see ONE advantage the centerfire rifle offers over others. Anyone care to chime in?

On the other hand, switching "philosophy" can be confusing to readers/watchers. Years ago CB advised us not to use single shots on DG. Now we see him doing just that. He knows what he is doing, and doesn't mind the PH backing him up. But why the change of heart? An explanation would be nice. Perhaps he gave that and I missed it.

Twenty years ago the only writer who appeared in ads was Chuck Adams. Today it is a booming business. It used to be the major editors of the “Big Three” got paid a good salary. (Jim Carmichel and Jerry Gibbs “retired” at the same time from Outdoor Life – what are the odds they both did that of their choosing?) Today the trend is to hire young writers who often have less experience than many on this board. It used to be you needed a “hunting resume” to be a writer. That is no longer the case.

Well, enough ranting and rumbling. At the end of the day, all of you vote with your pocketbook. The shows that communicate the value of the sponsor's products will thrive; those that don't, won't.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Only hunting shows I watch nowadays are Jim Shockey, Ted Nugent, Craig Boddington, and Texas Trophy Hunters. I wish Jack Brittingham still made DVD's.....they were the best quality hunting footage on the market in my opinion.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3107 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like watching Ron Spomer run around, and use various tactics--he's a big advocate of finding a way to hunt in the scrub of Texas OTHER than hunting around a feeder.

He loves to do spot and stalk, and is damn good at it. He is obviously sponsored by Browning/Winchester, and although he doesnt' spend time just telling that specific over and over, to me it is obvous, hell the show is called Winchester's Whitetail Revolutions or some such...although they shoot other game than just whitetails.

I've hunted with Ron, and he is a quality guy, and not a 'hunt at any means' type of guy, and if he is hunting exotics on a ranch, he will say so in his writings/shows.

I know some of the hunts by other hunters on this same program are BS though, I was on a hunt in Kentucky where a spot was filmed for Whitetail Revolutioins, and what you see is not what actually went down--in fact that show is airing on Versus right now...PM me is you want the real scoop.

I guess a lot of the stuff you see is frustrating cause it ain't 'real world' to most of us, but,as an example, Lee Lakowski (sp?) busts his ass to make his 'farm' a hunting paradise, including passing small bucks. I think he is a genuine hunter, and could probably survive a while on the Brooks--his wife--hot for sure, but IMO, just a decent shot and benefactor of being Lee's husband when it comes to hunting...the next question to me is how Lee was able to afford all he has at his farm, I know it ain't JUST from what he has earned as a sponsored television guy--maybe he just got a great loan at the right time.....

I do agree with the comments on some of the over the top celebrating being out of place, I just feel it is unnecessary and doesn't add anything to the hunt/show. I get excited just like anyone when I am fortunate enough to get a really great example of any given species, and might even high five a friend of mine sometime afterward, but the way we hunt, there is a lot of alone time, and even if one buddy is with you, a lot of reverance, before during and immediately after the hunt--which seems to be missing for a lot of folks on these shows--

100% agree with those who say nix the airport and riding in cars footage--it can't be that hard to come up with something better than that to include to fill air time...

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DC Roxby
posted Hide Post
I disconnected the TV service long ago and it was the best thing I ever did. I will watch some of the Primos DVD's and they are bearable but most of the hunting shows just make me angry.

I don't shoot elk at 600 yards for the same reasons I don't shoot ducks on the water, or turkeys from their roosts. If this confuses you then you're not welcome in my hunting camp.

Posts: 566 | Location: Ouray, CO | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fish30114:
I like watching Ron Spomer run around, and use various tactics--he's a big advocate of finding a way to hunt in the scrub of Texas OTHER than hunting around a feeder.

I have hunted with Ron as well. He is a very funny guy as well. I recently emailed him about a story he wrote in AH that I really liked.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I'm not mistaken, Lee Lakoski was a chemical engineer before he turned deer farmer/hunting celeb.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sam308
posted Hide Post
Almost all of my hunting is for deer and turkey, but I rarely watch shows on those subjects. Only reasons I ever do are for Tiffany Lakosky and Nuge's crazy ass.
Boddington and Shockey have by far the best shows out there. Being Jim Shockey's cameraman has got to be one hell of a tough job!

Posts: 344 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why are you watching hunting shows you don't like?
The few hunting shows I have seen were pretty lame and dumb.

Posts: 144 | Location: East MS | Registered: 12 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DC Roxby:
I disconnected the TV service long ago and it was the best thing I ever did. I will watch some of the Primos DVD's and they are bearable but most of the hunting shows just make me angry.

+1. Go a little while without watching TV and you will eventually wonder how you ever had time for it in the first place. Real life is much better.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got rid of cable 14 years ago and my TV 10 years back. I never missed it, and had a LOT more time to spend doing things I actually enjoyed. You don't realize how much time it wastes until you stop.

And yet friends still wonder how I get by....

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

"PS. To add a bit of Pappasonian philosophy: this single barrel stuff is just a passing fad. Bolt actions and single shots will fade away as did disco, the hula hoop, and bell-bottomed pants. Doubles will rule the world!"

Posts: 812 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bob,
No kidding. People ask me all the time what I do without TV. Well, lets see, I run, tend my garden, hunt, read, workout, prepare for hunting, chase my smokin' hot wife, and try to figure out my next hunting project.
It's called LIFE, people that spend 4+ hours a day watching TV miss out on it.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
Lee and Tiffany are amazing people! I have a lot of respect for both of them, they work their tails off and are both excellent hunters.

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan Campbell:
Bob,
No kidding. People ask me all the time what I do without TV. Well, lets see, I run, tend my garden, hunt, read, workout, prepare for hunting, chase my smokin' hot wife, and try to figure out my next hunting project.
It's called LIFE, people that spend 4+ hours a day watching TV miss out on it.

Hmmm. So if I get rid of my TV, I can chase your smokin' hot wife???????? Eeker

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OutdoorWriter,
You can try. Be advised however that she works out with me and has more ammo than I do.

one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
clap

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jds
posted Hide Post
quote:
This one applies mainly just to Texans, but how many remember the old Lone Star Sportsman with Jim Thomas?

OK, CHC . . .

I'll call your Jim Thomas, the Lone Star Sportsman (which I really enjoyed as a kid) . . .

and I'll raise you Harley Berg, the Texas game warden who would say, "Let's keep 'em swimming, running, and flying . . . . er . . . I forget the rest.

JDS

And so if you meet a hunter who has been to Africa, and he tells you what he has seen and done, watch his eyes as he talks. For they will not see you. They will see sunrises and sunsets such as you cannot imagine, and a land and a way of life that is fast vanishing. And always he will will tell you how he plans to go back. (author: David Petzer)

Posts: 655 | Location: Burleson, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote