THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    TX Pronghorn and NM Elk report with photos...

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TX Pronghorn and NM Elk report with photos...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted
I have more photos to add as folks send them from the trip, but the ones below are what I took.

We got to Pampa TX and began hunting with my buddy Cal Ferguson of 4F Outfitters. My pal Gordy krahn from N Am Hunter got a monster 16 1/2" pronghorn during the forst hour! They got it all on film for their show. I looked over tons of bucks and found a really good one that afternoon, but we had a day left. We found a high goat with really high prongs the next morning at * Am, and I decided I wanted him. We played cat and mouse for 3 hours. I had him at 100 yards twice, but he was skylined (against Outdoor Channel rules and unsafe) and at 60 yards once (bad camera angle and too many does milling around him). Finally he broke from his 20 does, and we got in front of him. I crawled up in the high weeds and peeked over a small hill. He was coming straight up at me, so I settled in.

He topped the bank, I was above him and had a good back drop, so I hammered him at 147 yards with the new T/C Icon in .30 T/C. Straight down!!! He was 15" high, had very high prongs and that helped him score 79 B&C.

We went on to NM and it was one of the best and toughest hunts I have ever been on. My group took bulls of 300, 305, 309, 320 and 353. The bugle was short in the morning and afternoon. The 2nd day, I got on a monster 6x6 that was conservatively 330 - with huge mass. I had him dead with my muzzleloader twice at 60 yards, but again, the camera angle was bad, and I had to let him go. It almost killed me. I had an opportunity at a nice 5x7 at 80 yards and let him walk as well as many small 6x6's. I got on a huge 5x5 that I figure was well over 300, and I wanted him. We had him at 350 yards, but that is too far for good footage in my opinion.

We got on his herd the last morning, and I could never get a shot at him in the timber. It was a big herd and more elk joined them. We saw a 320ish 6x6, but he never presented a shot. After 2.5 hours of walking straight up, I got a crack at a decent 300-inch 6x6 (turned out to have a briken brow tine).

We were in a terrential downpour, and I only had until lunch to hunt, so I hammered him at a bit over 200 yards, and he took 3 steps and was out. Think goodness I took the .300 mag that morning due to the forecast. He wasn't the biggest, but after 5 hard days of hunting, and me being the only guy in camp for 2 1/2 days without a bull, I was sure glad to have him. The backstraps will be good too.

Saw these 3 mulies on the way out...

Glad to be home...

more photos from my group to come as I receive them...TH

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Congrats Tim. It looks and sounds like a great hunt!!

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Awesome animals Tim!

Loved the Mulie pics too

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3325 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Here are a couple more I just got...

Butch English from Mossy Oak 310

Greg Rodriguez 305

I will post the others when they send them...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aziz
posted Hide Post
Hello Tim

Congratulations, you got a great antelope and an excellent Elk.

Regards
Aziz

photo 5a71b091-8ccb-440e-8358-1ba8fe6939cb_zpsga1mmy00.jpg

Posts: 591 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
The staged photos are cheesy but that's a darn nice antelope.

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
The Cheesy photos are because I am an outdoor writer, and those are for magazines. I just thought I would share to show surroundings, etc...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
tim@trophyadventures.com

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
There's no excuse for cheesy photography...

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Not making excuses - those are the type photos editors buy, and if they will pay for them, I'll keep taking them...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
tim@trophyadventures.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting the pictures and writeup. It sounds like you had a great hunt.

Go Big Blue.

Posts: 132 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great pronghorn Tim and great photos, nice mule deer too. How's Lexington? Been to the horse park there a few times with my wife for the Rolex 3 day event. Just a beautiful place. Both my folks are originally from Louisville.

-Sean

Posts: 161 | Location: La Honda, California | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice pronghorn, congrats! Looks to be a drilling rig in the background, brings back memories, spent a dozen or so years punching holes around there, lived in Borger and Pampa.

posted Hide Post
Those are great bulls. I met you there in New Mexico, I talked to your father several times. Did he get a good one?

It was an amazing hunt even though my hunt only lasted two hours. My bull scored 298.

Posts: 16 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Tim
thanks for sharing.. nicely done... passing on a 330+ ??? i doubt i cold have done it

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Herald:
Not making excuses - those are the type photos editors buy, and if they will pay for them, I'll keep taking them...

Ha !! that is what I call common sense Big Grin

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats Tim...nice bull...what part of NM did you get him? We are headed to Vermejo Park in 3 weeks....New Mexico is my favorite place for elk...If I didn't live in GA, it would be NM!

Again, Congratulations...good job.

Posts: 373 | Location: Leesburg, GA | Registered: 22 October 2005Reply With Quote