New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ted Nugent Poaching Conviction
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
TED...you either like him or hate him. Hate mongers...go home.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Really don't are about Ted one way or another, It's nice when a celebrity or politician thinks they're above the law that once in awhile they find out they're not.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4732 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WGAFF!!! Roll Eyes

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
crazy---If you are referring to the case involving the Carter Family Outfitting operation in TenSleep, WY, it was so different I'm surprised at your comment! They were intentionally violating the law and allowing NRs, including the Oregon dude, to take animals that they didn't have legal tags for and then the animals were transported across state lines. The Nugent incident would be like a minor speeding ticket where somebody was daydreaming and stopped for 5MPH over the limit compared to somebody intentionally going 50MPH over the posted speed limit.

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
TopGun, you may see a difference, and I may see a difference, do you HONESTLY think that USF&WS is going to see things the way you or I do??????????????

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
TED...you either like him or hate him. Hate mongers...go home.

Try growing up just a little and learning that just because a person does not agree with another persons concepts, that does not make them a hater. Or are you one of the Hitler Youth????????????

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
... do you HONESTLY think that USF&WS is going to see things the way you or I do??????????????

To some extent, yes. Once the authorities were made aware of the alleged violation they had a duty to investigate and pursue charges if warranted. In the end, they got a "conviction" and Ted learned another lesson, but I believe that there was some consideration for Ted's "culpability" in the events. As a result, he got less than he probably could have.

Culpability, or the mental state of the person at the time of the event, is part of establishing many criminal cases. In general, the higher culpability results in the higher fines/jail time, etc. An example would be if Ted had shot, killed and exported two bears on that hunt with the full knowledge of the law - an example of "intentionally". I believe Ted fell in to the "negligent" level below. Most states are probably similar to New York law, which states:

§ 15.05 Culpability; definitions of culpable mental states.

1. "Intentionally." A person acts intentionally with respect to a
result or to conduct described by a statute defining an offense when his
conscious objective is to cause such result or to engage in such
conduct.
2. "Knowingly." A person acts knowingly with respect to conduct or to
a circumstance described by a statute defining an offense when he is
aware that his conduct is of such nature or that such circumstance
exists.
3. "Recklessly." A person acts recklessly with respect to a result or
to a circumstance described by a statute defining an offense when he is
aware of and consciously disregards a substantial and unjustifiable risk
that such result will occur or that such circumstance exists. The risk
must be of such nature and degree that disregard thereof constitutes a
gross deviation from the standard of conduct that a reasonable person
would observe in the situation.
4. "Criminal negligence." A person acts with criminal negligence with
respect to a result or to a circumstance described by a statute defining
an offense when he fails to perceive a substantial and unjustifiable
risk that such result will occur or that such circumstance exists. The
risk must be of such nature and degree that the failure to perceive it
constitutes a gross deviation from the standard of care that a
reasonable person would observe in the situation.

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erict:
quote:
... do you HONESTLY think that USF&WS is going to see things the way you or I do??????????????

To some extent, yes. Once the authorities were made aware of the alleged violation they had a duty to investigate and pursue charges if warranted. In the end, they got a "conviction" and Ted learned another lesson, but I believe that there was some consideration for Ted's "culpability" in the events. As a result, he got less than he probably could have.

Culpability, or the mental state of the person at the time of the event, is part of establishing many criminal cases. In general, the higher culpability results in the higher fines/jail time, etc. An example would be if Ted had shot, killed and exported two bears on that hunt with the full knowledge of the law - an example of "intentionally". I believe Ted fell in to the "negligent" level below - sounds like he, a reasonable person, should have known the law but did not. Most states are probably similar to New York law, which states:

§ 15.05 Culpability; definitions of culpable mental states.

1. "Intentionally." A person acts intentionally with respect to a
result or to conduct described by a statute defining an offense when his
conscious objective is to cause such result or to engage in such
conduct.
2. "Knowingly." A person acts knowingly with respect to conduct or to
a circumstance described by a statute defining an offense when he is
aware that his conduct is of such nature or that such circumstance
exists.
3. "Recklessly." A person acts recklessly with respect to a result or
to a circumstance described by a statute defining an offense when he is
aware of and consciously disregards a substantial and unjustifiable risk
that such result will occur or that such circumstance exists. The risk
must be of such nature and degree that disregard thereof constitutes a
gross deviation from the standard of conduct that a reasonable person
would observe in the situation.
4. "Criminal negligence." A person acts with criminal negligence with
respect to a result or to a circumstance described by a statute defining
an offense when he fails to perceive a substantial and unjustifiable
risk that such result will occur or that such circumstance exists. The
risk must be of such nature and degree that the failure to perceive it
constitutes a gross deviation from the standard of care that a
reasonable person would observe in the situation.

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wrong!!!! As a celebrity, U.S.F.& W. would/will milk this to its most.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://youtu.be/R15a68VcG04

Its a free for all!

dancing

Posts: 551 | Location: utah | Registered: 17 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Most states are probably similar to New York law

I don't think I would bet on that, especially in states where hunting/fishing are major sources of revenue for the state.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Overall I would agree with what erict stated and that's basically what I mentioned in my posts. Ted was definitely treated differently in the imposed penalties than the Oregon and Wyoming people who were continually violating the same WY statute and committing egregious violations compared to "possibly" wounding one bear and then taking home the bear Ted killed later in the hunt. His attorney was AG for Alaska for a short time and is a licensed part time guide there and he even stated he didn't know the area Ted hunted in had that wounding requirement that should have ended the hunt. Further, it appears you have to do a lot of searching to even find out what AK considers "wounding" because it's not in the hunting statutes available to hunters when they buy a license. I agree with crazy 100% that the Feds milked this one to their advantage just because of it being Ted with his anti Lib statements and the celebrity that he is, etc. I seriously doubt that if this wasn't Ted Nugent that anything would have even become a noteworthy case, but since it was filmed and there was no doubt that he at least "nicked" the first bear he shot at, the AK law considered him a violator. Funny, though, that it happened within the last 3 years and Alaska chose not to do anything and the Feds jumped all over it when they were notified! Hmm!!! Ted is way too brash for my liking, but I would much rather have him on my side of the hunting and shooting rights that we have here in the good old US of A, than being an anti to our causes!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jon B. --- you ain't shittin. It's a free-for-all without a doubt. Just talk badly about the "O" in a large public forum and see how much pain gets inflicted. I would have loved to be a fly on the wall when the SS interrogated Ted. Believe me...it was NO interview. The lawdog mongrels have a new target.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodrow S:
I would have loved to be a fly on the wall when the SS interrogated Ted. Believe me...it was NO interview. The lawdog mongrels have a new target.

I heard they provided some useful info to the Motor City Madman. They gave him a whole page of phone numbers for good "entertainment" based pleasure contacts in case he ever gets to hunt in Columbia.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tony is the winner.

Bottom line, no matter how we as individuals feel about Nugent, his past antics and this incident, the bigger question, is he beginning to do more hatm than good for the image of hunters as a whole?

Whether we like it or agree with it does not matter. To the Fourth Estate, he does represent the Public image of the American Hunter.

Does the good he has done out weigh the negative press about such incidents as this one?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is the latest on the Wyoming case that we have been discussing compared to the Nugent incident. I hope all would agree that there is a huge difference between the two!

WGFD News
Latest News
Regional Angler Newsletters
Several Guilty in Ten Sleep Felony Poaching Case
04/23/2012
CASPER - A Wyoming landowner and several hunters from Oregon and other states pleaded guilty to felony convictions for illegal trafficking in wildlife in U.S. District Court on March 21.
The hunters were unlawfully hunting trophy class elk on the Carter Ranch, located in Ten Sleep between 2003 and 2009. The ranch owners, Richard Carter, Sr., RC Carter, and Mark Carter, also pleaded guilty to felony conspiracy to traffic in illegal wildlife. Richard Carter, 61, was convicted of conspiracy to traffic in illegal wildlife. He is scheduled to be sentenced on June 4 and faces up to 5 years of imprisonment and a fine of up to $250,000. His two sons, RC Carter, 34, of Ten Sleep, and Mark Carter, 31, of Jackson, pleaded guilty to felonies involving trafficking in illegal wildlife and falsifying wildlife records. Both are scheduled to be sentenced on June 4 and both face up to 15 years of imprisonment and a fine of $750,000.
Mathew S. Robinson, 29, of Bend, Ore., was found guilty of two felony charges of trafficking in illegal wildlife. Robinson had been charged federally and after a six-day jury trial, was found guilty of conspiring to traffic in illegal wildlife and trafficking in illegal wildlife and aiding and abetting. Robinson was accused of conspiring to hunt elk in Wyoming between 2005 and 2008, assisting others in hunting elk, and of illegally killing a bull elk in 2008 without a proper license. He faces up to 10 years imprisonment and a fine of up to $500,000. Robinson is to be sentenced on June 13 before Judge Nancy Freudenthal in U.S. District Court in Cheyenne.
Robinson's father, James S. Robinson, 61, of West Linn, Ore., previously pleaded guilty to a felony on March 4, 2011, for trafficking in illegal wildlife. James was accused of killing a 7x8 bull elk without a proper license in 2005. He was ordered to pay restitution of $15,000 for the elk, a fine of $20,000, and ordered to complete community service as part of a probationary sentence.
Another hunter, Steve Ned Farah, 48, of West Linn, Ore., pleaded guilty on March 21, 2012, to two felonies involving conspiracy and trafficking in illegal wildlife. Farah was accused of unlawfully killing a 6x6 bull elk in 2007 and another in 2008. Farah is scheduled to be sentenced at 10 a.m. on June 4 and faces up to 10 years of imprisonment and a fine of up to $500,000.
Four other Oregon hunters were charged with federal misdemeanor offenses involving the unlawful taking and transportation of wildlife. Jon R. Gleason, 68, of Custer, Wash., previously pleaded guilty to unlawfully killing a 6x6 bull elk in 2006 and was ordered to pay $7,500 in restitution, a $1,000 fine, and is further prohibited from hunting for two years. Joseph Karas, 60, of Portland, Ore., pleaded guilty to unlawfully killing a 6x6 elk in 2006. Karas was ordered to pay $7,500 in restitution, to perform community service, and is prohibited from hunting for two years. John Woodmark, 63, of Depoe Bay, Ore., pleaded guilty to unlawfully killing a 6x7 bull elk in 2007 and was ordered to pay $7,500 in restitution, perform community service, and is prohibited from hunting for two years. James Dovenberg, 68, of West Linn, Ore., pleaded guilty to aiding and abetting another in the killing of a 6x6 bull elk in 2006 without a proper license. Dovenberg was ordered to pay a fine of $12,000 and is prohibited from hunting for two years.
Several other hunters were prosecuted in Washakie County Circuit Court in relation to the case. Gerald Jay Robinson, 72, of Wilsonville, Ore., pleaded guilty of taking an antlerless elk in 2004 without a license. He was ordered to pay $3,000 restitution and a $750 fine. William Hayward Batts, 56, of Hyattville, Wyo. pleaded no contest to unlawfully transferring a hunting license and making a false statement on a Wyoming interstate game tag. He was fined $370 for each of the two counts and had his Wyoming hunting privileges suspended for 3 years. Robert Till, 53, of Columbia, Tenn., pleaded guilty to taking an antelope in 2003 without a license and ordered to pay $3,000 restitution and a fine of $750, and had his Wyoming hunting privileges suspended for 3 years. William Patrick Mercer, 65, of Arcadia, Fla., also pleaded guilty to taking an antelope in 2003 without a license and ordered to pay $3,000 restitution and a fine of $5,000.

Wyoming Game and Fish Department Investigative Unit Supervisor Mike Ehlebracht said, “This is a significant case for the wildlife resource, our department, and for the sportsmen of Wyoming. We take these kinds of violations very seriously and we encourage the public to report violations through our Stop Poaching hotline at 1-877-WGFD-TIP.”
The case was jointly investigated by the Wyoming Game and Fish, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, and the Oregon State Patrol. The case was prosecuted by the U.S. Attorney’s office and the Washakie County Attorney’s Office.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cluck,cluck.cluck Roll Eyes

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well,

Laws and rules need to be applied equally to every person.

That being said, I wonder about the timing of the remarks made by Ted, regarding the POTUS, and the interview of Ted by the secret service and this matter. I also wonder about the Secret Service and the "Extra Service" they helped themselves to in Columbia.

If it was politically motivated and not just a pure matter of a wildlife infraction, I would support Ted or anybody on this one.

Wayne Anthony Ross was his attorney and both and Ted Nugent are National Directors on the NRA Board. Ross was selected by then Alaska Gov., Sarah Palin, to be the Attorney General. He did not successfully complete the political process, gauntlet, and withdrew his name from consideration. To correct what was incorrectly posted by another, he never was the Attorney General for the State of Alaska.

Mr Ross claims that Ted Nugent had no knowledge of that law. As has been said before, "Ignorance is not a defense." I do not hunt in SE Alaska but do read the regs every year for the game units I hunt as they regs change frequently. The regs can be confusing and when they are, I contact F&G and they usually can clear up the confusion for me.

Ted's guide and or transporter should have gone the extra mile and provided him with the regs to read. Maybe this is where the oversight of the regulations began.

In my opinion, his fine was excessive when compared to others who had been caught poaching multiple black bears and selling black bear parts and gall bladders. HOpefully, we will all learn a lesson from this event.

Sincerely,

Matt Moore

Posts: 374 | Location: Anchorage AK | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matt Moore---Thanks for the correction on the statement I made about Ross being the Alaska AG for a short time. I read that in an article (can't remember which one) and after reading your post I looked him up on the net and see that you are correct in that he went down by a 35-23 vote in his confirmation hearing after being nominated by Sarah Palin while she was Governor.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Does the good he has done out weigh the negative press about such incidents as this one?

Hell yes, without question.

Every time he is in front of a microphone or TV, radion, music, books, he is promoting hunting and conservation. Love him or hate him I have yet to see anyone that promotes hunting, fishing, conservation, renewable resources like he does.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since I overlooked his being an admitted draft dodger, I guess being a crappy shot and shooting 2 Black Bears in order to kill one, shouldn't bother me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

From what I am seeing and hearing from folks both in person and across the internet, people are being to view that a little differently.

It has nothing to do with what is being promoted, but who is doing the promoting, and how they are doing it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
SG Olds
one of us
Posted 26 April 2012 08:41 Hide Post
Since I overlooked his being an admitted draft dodger, I guess being a crappy shot and shooting 2 Black Bears in order to kill one, shouldn't bother me.

And where, Sir, may we find this "admitted draft dodging" you speak of?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

From what I am seeing and hearing from folks both in person and across the internet, people are being to view that a little differently.

It has nothing to do with what is being promoted, but who is doing the promoting, and how they are doing it.

You must sit in left field, amongst the O team. If you could, I wouldn’t mind hearing what your hearing. I suspect it’s the anti-hunters.

Ted isn’t the first person in the world to draw blood and not mortally wound an animal. In my modest hunting career, I have shot and tagged two mule deer in Utah that were clearly wounded. One had its front shoulder blown off, the other had an arrow sticking in it. Both tagged and both thrown away under Utah DWS super vision because of gangrene.

There is no excuse for this especially in a guided hunt. Outfitter was also at fault. Had this not been a TV show, looking for the money shot, might have ended different. Ted was caught, paid the fine.

My experience, your either part of the problem or part of the solution.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No Sir, I am not on the O team or setting in left field. I have a modest amount of hunting experience as it were, and AR is not the only hunting/firearm related site I view.

This has nothing to do with the Left or the Right, it has to do with those hunters in the middle, that are concerned or becoming concerned that Nugent, is drifting farther to the Right and away from main stream/middle of the road hunters/gun owners.

Reality is that there comes a time, when anyone that is being viewed in the Public Eye as being The Representative of a group, gets too involved with their OWN agenda and begins being a liability to those they are.

Hunters/Gun Owners around the country are beginning to change their opinion on Nugent as a true representative of the group as a whole.

It is not my fault that people do not view things the same way I do or you do. To pretend that people are not re-evaluating Nugent's actual effects on their behalf, especially if you have taken the time to read all the comments made on AR, not just this thread, but also down in the ARPF, and then claim that people are not re-accessing the issue does not seem practical or well informed. JMO.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Where's the evidence that Ted avoided the draft???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try Goog;ong the information, it is really simple and you can judge for yourself.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm also still waiting on the draft evasion comment, as I've googled and looked all over and can't find a thing regarding Nugent evading the draft!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did you try typing in Ted Nugent and the Vietnam War in the search window? Or how about Ted Nugent and the Draft in the search window?

Just a little heads up here before stuff gets said that shouldn't be. Nugent's antics concerning the draft does not matter to me, one way or the other.

For those that have a problem with what Nugent did back then, that is YOUR issue, not mine.

My whole issue deals with the fact, at least in my case, that Nugent does NOT represent me as a hunter or a gun owner.

If you want to take issue with me over that, fine. Just don't start jumping my ass over something that is totally immaterial to me!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
crazy---Yea, I've typed in and found stuff saying that he supposedly did this, that, and the other thing and said this, that, and the other thing, but none of the sources are what I would call reliable. He supposedly had a student deferment and the only paperwork I've seen is for 67 and 68 and if it wasn't legitimate then he should have been punished. He wasn't, so I'm not going to pursue it any further and don't really give a rip just like you stated. I think I'm pretty much in agreement with your assessment of this whole thing. At one time I felt that he was doing some good, but it's starting to get a little embarrassing with the antics he's pulling and statements that he's making. I am really starting to wonder whether he's doing more harm than good with all the bizarre shit he spouts, even though it is in favor of the hunting and shooting sports. He's a celebrity and loves the spotlight, just like all of them do and that's how he makes his living by being in the public eye. He does believe in our rights and the way they are being taken away or attempting to be taken away, so I can't turn my back on him completely right now, but it may be coming to that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know there are a good manmy folks onm the various hunting/gun related sites that do hold what ever happened back in the 60's against him.

He will have to answer for that when he gets face to face with God.

With me it is not a case of turning my back, as much as a case of getting the message out that while his support for hunting and gun ownership is appreciated by many, he is not really "The Spokesman" for all of us.

One concept I have began to embrace, is that as a group, hunters and/or gun owners, need to Educate Not Alienate the uninformed/misinformed.

If Nugent is beginning to alienate folks in the ranks of hunters/firearm owners then that is going to turn into a real problem. All JMO.

one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post

Posts: 809 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Couldn't agree with you more crazy! Have a good weekend everyone, as I'm heading out until Monday to mentor kids on their turkey hunts!

one of us
posted Hide Post
A bit about Nugent and his draft status/deferments:

From a 1977 interview by High Times magazine:

>High Times:How did you get out of the draft?

Ted Nugent: I got my physical notice 30 days prior to. Well, on that day I ceased cleansing my body. No more brushing my teeth, no more washing my hair, no baths, no soap, no water. Thirty days of debris build. I stopped shavin’ and I was 18, had a little scraggly beard, really looked like a hippie. I had long hair, and it started gettin’ kinky, matted up. Then two weeks before, I stopped eating any food with nutritional value. I just had chips, Pepsi, beer-stuff I never touched-buttered poop, little jars of Polish sausages, and I’d drink the syrup, I was this side of death, Then a week before, I stopped going to the bathroom. I did it in my pants. poop, piss the whole shot. My pants got crusted up.

So I went in, and those guys in uniform couldn’t believe the smell. They were ridiculin’ me and pushin’ me around and I was cryin’, but all the time I was laughin’ to myself. When they stuck the needle in my arm for the blood test I passed out, and when I came to they were kicking me into the wall. Then they made everybody take off their pants, and I did, and this sergeant says, “Oh my God, put those back on! You f*cking swine you!” Then they had a urine test and I couldn’t piss, But my poop was just like ooze, man, so I poop in the cup and put it on the counter. I had poop on my hand and my arm. The guy almost puked. I was so proud. I knew I had these chumps beat. The last thing I remember was wakin’ up in the ear test booth and they were sweepin’ up. So I went home and cleaned up.

They took a putty knife to me. I got the street rats out of my hair, ate some good steaks, beans, potatoes, cottage cheese, milk. A couple of days and I was ready to kick ass. And in the mail I got this big juicy 4-F. They’d call dead people before they’d call my ass. But you know the funny thing about it? I’d make an incredible army man. I’d be a colonel before you knew what hit you, and I’d have the baddest bunch of motherf*ckin’ killers you’d ever seen in my platoon. But I just wasn’t into it. I was too busy doin’ my own thing, you know?

This is what Snopes has to say about it:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/nugent.asp

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know there are a good manmy folks onm the various hunting/gun related sites that do hold what ever happened back in the 60's against him.

With me it is not a case of turning my back, as much as a case of getting the message out that while his support for hunting and gun ownership is appreciated by many, he is not really "The Spokesman" for all of us.

One concept I have began to embrace, is that as a group, hunters and/or gun owners, need to Educate Not Alienate the uninformed/misinformed.

If Nugent is beginning to alienate folks in the ranks of hunters/firearm owners then that is going to turn into a real problem. All JMO.

At least Ted does something besides bat his gums on a hunting forum like a bunch of old Hens clucking away. sofa I am a Nam Vet and take no offense to what he did.He has atoned for his sins.It is much easier to look for the bad in people,than the good.Judge not lest you be Judged!!!We should have each others back in a United Front instead of taking any available chance to kick each other in the groin.(I have met the enemy and he is us!!!) killpc

one of us
posted Hide Post
And a bit more...this from me. First, some background.

Before the Web came into existence, during the mid-1980s, my good friend/partner in Maryland and I ran a stable of outdoor-oriented forums under contract with what was then known as the Compuserve Information Service (CIS). At the time, we were the operators of the largest conglomerate of consumer forums around, with 14 separate ones. We continued to operate those forums into the late 1990s up to when AOL bougth up CIS.

One of the forums we had was a very popular Hunting one, and Nugent began hanging around and posting there. We eventually gave him his own message section for him and his "blood brothers" to use. That lasted until the Web became popular, and Nugent set up his own site.

Naturally, as the administrator of the forum, I often exchanged messages with him and eventually talked about doing an interview when he came to Phoenix. To that end I provided my phone #.

So one morning at 6:30 I'm sitting at my desk, and the phone rings. It's Nugent calling from a limo on his way to some airport in Connecticut.

Long story, short: he's coming to Phoenix for a concert. He leaves me two tickets at will-call and orders for his daughter, Sasha, to take me to his dressing room before the show. The column tacked on the bottom of this is the result of that interview. I wrote it about 15 years ago.

So since that time, we have sort of kept in contact occasionally, especially when our mutual friend Jim Zumbo, got himself in some hot water a few years back.

I don't go as far as calling Ted a good friend; he's more like an acquaintance, so to speak. AND...I'm also not a big fan of his in-your-face approach, but read the column and consider what he says in the bold type.

THE LAST SHOT

Copyright by Tony Mandile

THE MOTOR CITY MADMAN

The stage was set -- literally.

A few friends and I had just sat through more than hour of throbbing rock music put forth by the English group known as Bad Company. For an old dude like me with a taste for Barbra Streisand or Whitney Houston, sitting there on the grass of the Desert Sky Pavilion in Phoenix and listening to hard rock amounted to an anomaly. In this case, my real motive for bearing it had little to do with the music.

The stage curtains had been closed for 15 minutes or so after Bad Company's performance. Now the only sound was the combined buzz from several thousand spectators melting into one indistinguishable voice. I could handle the noise from the murmuring crowd quite easily because it didn't vibrate my insides and produce a decibel level to push the needle off the scale. The welcome change from Bad Company suddenly ended, though

The huge speakers came alive again with the raucous beat of drums and high-pitch twangs of electric guitars. As the curtains parted, a stage filled with smoke appeared amid banks of multi- colored, rapidly blinking spotlights. The rising, ever shifting smoke, tinted by multi-colored lights, provided a constantly changing surrealistic scene. Then from the stage's dark recesses sprang the man known as the Motor City Madman.

The Madman's long hair, reaching well below his wide shoulders, bounced around to the beat of his body contortions. The din from the amplified drums and guitars grew louder and louder now, though not quite loud enough to drown out the welcoming cheers from the crowd when it recognized the words of Cat Scratch Fever, the Madman's trademark song. Minutes later, Ted Nugent stepped to the microphone, and in a rapidly paced, jivey way, told everyone how glad he was to be with his bloodbrothers.

I sat mesmerized, knowing I had just witnessed a metamorphosis of sorts, a Clark Kent trip into a phone booth, so to speak.

Two hours earlier, I had spent a 1/2-hr. talking one-on-one to the 46-yr.-old Nugent in the quiet of his dressing room. He wore jeans, a sleeveless camo shirt and a camo baseball hat. His long, flowing hair, confined into a ponytail by a rubber band, remained relatively still as we discussed hunting, the animal-rights crowd and the battle to save our 2nd Amendment rights. In fact, the chat with Nugent seemed no different than one I would have with my next-door neighbor. But now, as I watched the transformation from hunter, father and outspoken critic of those who endanger America's hunting and shooting traditions, I got the feeling I was seeing someone else. I again visited with Nugent backstage after the show and mentioned my astonishment at the ease he switched personalities.

Nugent laughed. "It's like a welder who comes home, takes a shower and puts on a suit and tie. He's no longer a welder once he punches out from his job and dresses in a different costume. When I'm on stage, I'm a rock star -- the Motor City Madman, if you will."

Although Nugent can adopt the persona of two different people, his view of life is always the same. Most importantly, he eschews the misuse of drugs and booze. It's a potent message coming from a rocker who has been in the business for 30 years. He also has a devout love for the outdoors and a well-honed understanding of wildlife and the environment. Most importantly, Nugent defends hunting and firearms with a zeal few can match. He isn't afraid to make his views known, regardless of his audience and whether it agrees with him or not.

I asked Nugent if he didn't often let this enthusiasm go too far, especially when it comes to some of his most outrageous comments or his dialogue that's often laced with four-letter words.

"There's a reason for it. When I'm outrageous and crass, it creates controversy, and that controversy focuses attention on me. In the last two days, I've been interviewed on six radio and two TV stations in LA and here. You don't see the NRA or hunting organizations getting that kind of airtime. Yet in every case, I was able to get the word out. No matter what words I use, though, no one can ever accuse me of speaking an untruth and not saying something from the heart, stuff I truly believe in. The important thing is people hear what I have to say. And as Ted Nugent, the rocker, I reach an audience that no one else can -- the youth of this country. To do that, I need to speak their language.

"When I defend hunting, I do it because I know it's a wholesome activity. When I speak against the animal-rights whackos, I do it because their beliefs are garbage and have no factual basis in reality. They are the extreme fringe. No free-thinking, intelligent person should accept what they say without researching the facts for themselves.

Nugent gets his word out in other ways, too. Several years ago he formed Ted Nugent's World Bowhunters (soon to be Ted Nugent's American Bloodbrothers). Along with his lovely wife, Shemane, he publishes Ted Nugent Adventure Outdoors, a full-color, straight-hitting magazine. But one of the efforts Nugent is more proud of than anything is his Kamp For Kids program.

Held twice each summer, the "Kamp" is aimed at getting kids off the streets and into the woods. As Nugent puts it, "We want to get them where they belong. The main emphasis is to teach kids about the environment and bowhunting. In doing this, we hope to protect the future of both bowhunting and the youth of America. "

Nugent's admiration for the legendary bowhunter Fred Bear is hard not to notice. After Bear's death, Nugent wrote the song, "Fred Bear." He now refers to it as the American Hunter's Theme Song. Though it rocks and rolls like most of the Motor City Madman's music, the message it conveys is pure and unadulterated; Nugent thought much of the man and what he stood for. And when Nugent changes from the camo of a bowhunter to the gaudy trappings of the rock start and sings "Fred Bear" on-stage, the audience still gets that message loud and clear. And the Madman's Spirit of the Wild is alive.

Of course, some of us older folks just wish it wasn't quite so loud.

One of Us
Picture of don444
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info and the post!

Posts: 551 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OLBIKER:
quote:

At least Ted does something besides bat his gums on a hunting forum like a bunch of old Hens clucking away. sofa I am a Nam Vet and take no offense to what he did.He has atoned for his sins.It is much easier to look for the bad in people,than the good.Judge not lest you be Judged!!!We should have each others back in a United Front instead of taking any available chance to kick each other in the groin.(I have met the enemy and he is us!!!) killpc

+! clap

Posts: 509 | Location: Flathead county Montana | Registered: 28 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
Recent interview with Ted - what do you think?:

Ted Nugent interview with Glen Beck - 4/26/2012

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
At least Ted does something besides bat his gums on a hunting forum like a bunch of old Hens clucking away. I am a Nam Vet and take no offense to what he did.He has atoned for his sins.It is much easier to look for the bad in people,than the good.Judge not lest you be Judged!!!We should have each others back in a United Front instead of taking any available chance to kick each other in the groin.(I have met the enemy and he is us!!!)

You do as you please and feel how you wish. To me nugent is nothing more or less than a damn politician. Just like politicians, if I feel like he is not representing my interests in the manner I want them represented, I AIN'T VOTING FOR THE SUMBICH. That is pretty easy to decipher isn't it?

As for as what you, Nugent or anyone else did or did not do during Vietnam, I do not care. If a person served in the military in any capacity during that time I Thank Them For Their Service. If they did not serve For WHATEVER their reason, that is THEIR damn load to bear as they age, does not effect me.

You want Nugent for your Spokesman, Good For You. I just don't want him for mine!