THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Help with first US Elk hunt information

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help with first US Elk hunt information
 Login/Join

posted
G'day all, I'm new to the forum so hi.. tu2

I was hoping to get some basic information on best places to hunt Elk in the US? I have been doing some research and noted Colarado, Wyoming, Idaho are all good places for fairchase, free range Elk. Does anyone here have any persoanl experience with hunting in these states or whether there are other suggestions for a good hunt location? I haven't started on outfitters yet (as I am keen to decide on a location) but if anyone has personal experience with an outfitter they would highly recommend then I would love to hear about that as well..

I am keen for a wilderness style (back country) hunt that will be both challenging and rewarding..

Thanks in advance..

Howso

Posts: 4 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.vermejoparkranch.com/

Howso77,

Welcome to AR. I accompanied my husband on three bull elk hunts and we took my Father-in-Law here fishing for his 70th birthday. Vermejo is just below the Colorado border in northern New Mexico.

FANTASTIC accomodations, food, and elk.

Vermejo is one of my favorite places in the world.

Good luck on your search.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9417 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
Howso,

Welcome to the boards. I hope you find the information you are looking for. Chances are, you may get entertained in the process.

Elk hunting opportunities abound in the states. There is a lot to look into. For starters, each state sets their own seasons and methods of allocating "tags". You will need a tag in addition to the big game license.

There are 3 basic ways to get the tags. In some states, like Colorado, you can purchase elk tags for many areas over the counter. A $500 tag and some national forest is all you need to go hunting. Or you can pay a ranch for trespass fees up to a fully guided hunt for $1000-5000+. Price is usually an indication of quality expectations.

Other areas are set aside as limited draw premium units. Many of these are open to Non Residents to enter a lottery in order to draw a tag. Depending on the unit, the odds go from bad to worse.

The third option is to buy a guaranteed tag, usually from a landowner or outfitter. California, New Mexico. Colorado, Oregon, Montana, Utah and maybe one or two other states have that sort of guaranteed tag. I would recommend you drop our own Aaron Neilson a line. He can help you sort through the hundreds of opportunities and find one that fits your budget and expectations.

Good luck!

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Venandi
posted Hide Post
Howso77 -

There are many opportunities to hunt elk in the States. You can hunt cow elk out of a truck for $1000 or spend $25,000+ on a trophy hunt on an Indian reservation. A little more information will help sort through the many options that are available.

First off, how much do you intend to spend?
Are you after a trophy class animal or will a good representative do?

What sort of climate and terrain do you want to experience? Elk are hunted on the open plains of eastern Montana to the almost inpenertable rainforests of Oregon and Washington. You could opt to bowhunt elk in 80 degree (F) temperatures or chase them in subzero cold.

How far off in the future are hunting plans There are many places where the tags are limited and it may take years to draw one. Or you can opt for an over-the-counter or outfitter sponsored tag.

You should also check into the requirements for hunter safety certification.

No longer Bigasanelk

Posts: 584 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ladies and Gents,,, Thanks for the quick response.. It sounds like I haven't provided enough detail so sorry for that.. I guess I'm trying to work things out myself at this end and there is no shortage of websites when I search google but they are mainly outfitters websites..

So here goes more info..
1) I am thinking late 2011 and noticed a number of sites suggesting around October to November is a good time?
2) Whilst I am after a Bull Elk as opposed to a cow I would also say that a good representative animal that I was challenged to obtain is very much more of interest than a top scoring bull shot after an easy walk.. I guess this is why the countryside of the areas I mentioned was of interest as they certainly give the impression that they would be challenging whilst beautiful at the same time.. In saying that I have only holidayed in the States in hoilday locations previously (LA, Miami, etc) so there will be areas that I have no appreciation for as I don't know anything about them..
3) Budget..I would be looking to use an outfitter for a few simple reasons. Their knowledge of the hunting area, their experience, their ability to teach me new skill sets and of course having the camp/equipment setup and where with all to get me the best chance at a representative animal.. I would like to try and find an outfitter in the $4,000-6,000 range if possible.. Slightly more would not be a problem for the right outfitter..
4) Combo hunt.. If the opportunity is there to hunt additional species then this would be good..

It sounds like I have asked a pretty generalised question (and I am sorry for that) but believe me the three responses received already have provided good info so thank you..

Cheers

Howso

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would recommend a wilderness hunt in WY or MT. You will love the scenery and expereince, and there are some mighty fine bulls in these states, though not typically the largest in the country.
You can almost certainly draw a WY general tag for this year in the special drawing, while it will require some luck to get such a tag in MT the very first year you apply. Your budget for an outfitter in these areas is possible, but a little on the light side generally. I would have expected 5,000- 7,500, which doesn't typically include the tag fees.
Good luck,
Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
Howso,

Here is some of the entertainment I promised you -
quote:
Originally posted by llamapacker:
I would recommend a wilderness hunt in WY or MT. You will love the scenery and expereince, and there are some mighty fine bulls in these states, though not typically the largest in the country.
You can almost certainly draw a WY general tag for this year in the special drawing, while it will require some luck to get such a tag in MT the very first year you apply. Your budget for an outfitter in these areas is possible, but a little on the light side generally. I would have expected 5,000- 7,500, which doesn't typically include the tag fees.
Good luck,
Bill

Bill Phifer, Salt Lake City Utah, aka Llamapacker, is a nefarious and notorious character here on AR. A year or so ago, he had a great safari, shot the wrong elephant, blamed his PH, claimed his traveller's checks were stolen, prearranged gifts were "taken" from camp, ultimately stiffed a very good man for, was it 27 or $28,000?

Then made up some bullshit pseudo character tossing some unbelievable red herring nonsense. Go ahead, look up the history. Very entertaining.

I had him on my ignore list long ago. Reading his garbage gives me the same warm feeling as chewing sand.

The point is you can get a lot of good information here. But there are a few wackos. Llamapacker is one of them.

Good luck on your hunt.

PS - Sorry to hijack the thread

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If Wyoming is your choice the application has to be in by the end of January for Elk.I think you can do it online.Montana you have until March 15 and a Big Game combo includes a deer A (Buck)Tag of either species.In Colorado in some areas you can buy an Elk tag across the counter.Colorado has a lot of Elk and if you hook up with a good outfitter ,you should get one.deer tags are by draw.I would spend some time on the phone talking to Game Bioligists to find out what are good areas and times to do what you want.Most of them are very Obliging.Another thing might be to speak with someone from The Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation.Those guys live and breathe Elk.Good luck.OB Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Elkhorn Outfitters in northwest Colorado. I've never hunted with them but their reputation is really good. They have the rights to several really big ranches that have a lot of elk, mule deer and pronghorn antelope.

These ranches are enrolled in the Ranching for Wildlife program and can run hunts outside the normal state run seasons. I've hunted a couple of these ranches with the resident public tags offered through the Ranching for Wildlife program and have always taken game.

Also, elk are actually too numerous in the area and they issue bonus cow elk tags and you can hunt deer at the same time. So it is possible to be on one of these ranches with a bull elk tag, a cow elk tag and a deer tag all in your pocket.

Elkhorn has a website. A simple google search will bring it up.

Flags

Posts: 2940 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice. | Registered: 26 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brian Clark
posted Hide Post
I know an outfitter in Montana who runs a good operation, he hunts in western Montana on the border of Idaho. It is a true wilderness hunt on horseback in a very scenic area. There has been some change to Montana's tags for non-residents, I believe it might be a little easier to draw tag now then previous years. The price for a elk hunt runs $3600 for 2:1 or $4000 for 1:1, there is also a possibility to do a combo hunt for mule deer as well.
Thanks!
Brian

Thanks!

Brian Clark

Blue Skies Hunting Adventures
www.blueskieshunting.com
Email at: info@blueskieshunting.com

African Cape Trophy Safaris
www.africancapesafaris.com
Email at: brian@africancapesafaris.com

1-402-689-2024

Posts: 1013 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 30 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Howso:

Good luck with your elk hunt.

Jack DeBold notwithstanding, there is some good information on this site. Jack is trying to hide his involvement with an illegal hunt in Zimbabwe, and he would rather throuw out red herrings and outright lies rather than face the truth. Since he has attempted to hijack this thread, I'll take the opportunity to state once again that Nixon Dzingai, SSG safaris in Zimbabwe, conducts illegal hunts and should be avoided. I've given up trying to correct the malicious lies and falsehoods routinely stated as fact by Jack and his cohorts, who have no first hand knowledge of the events he describes / fabricates.

Back to elk hunting....
Anyone care to dispute the advice I have given? Or have something constructive to offer, and I'm sure Howso would appreciate it. I hunt at least 4, often 5 western states each year, and there are lots of options for a first time elk hunt. For a true wilderness type experience with an easy to acquire tag at reasonable prices, pick up a WY general elk tag. You will still have your pick of several quality outfits, such as Ron Dube who operates just south of Yellowstone Park.
Good luck with your hunt.

Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
take your problems outside, fellas' CRYBABY
you are doing a piss poor job of representing the rest of us.

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at Diamond J Outfitters they run Back country horseback hunts in the Bridger Teton in Wyoming great camp and lots of elk

Posts: 61 | Location: new mexico | Registered: 22 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Howso77:
Ladies and Gents,,, Thanks for the quick response.. It sounds like I haven't provided enough detail so sorry for that.. I guess I'm trying to work things out myself at this end and there is no shortage of websites when I search google but they are mainly outfitters websites..

So here goes more info..
1) I am thinking late 2011 and noticed a number of sites suggesting around October to November is a good time?
2) Whilst I am after a Bull Elk as opposed to a cow I would also say that a good representative animal that I was challenged to obtain is very much more of interest than a top scoring bull shot after an easy walk.. I guess this is why the countryside of the areas I mentioned was of interest as they certainly give the impression that they would be challenging whilst beautiful at the same time.. In saying that I have only holidayed in the States in hoilday locations previously (LA, Miami, etc) so there will be areas that I have no appreciation for as I don't know anything about them..
3) Budget..I would be looking to use an outfitter for a few simple reasons. Their knowledge of the hunting area, their experience, their ability to teach me new skill sets and of course having the camp/equipment setup and where with all to get me the best chance at a representative animal.. I would like to try and find an outfitter in the $4,000-6,000 range if possible.. Slightly more would not be a problem for the right outfitter..
4) Combo hunt.. If the opportunity is there to hunt additional species then this would be good..

It sounds like I have asked a pretty generalised question (and I am sorry for that) but believe me the three responses received already have provided good info so thank you..

Cheers

Howso

Howso:

I can help you out if you promise not share. I am like Buffett when it comes to good stocks: I don't talk about them. But since you are not likely to crowd me out, shoot me a PM. Maybe you can return the favor when I come to OZ in 2012.

I would not shoot anything less than a 6 point. To me, there is no such thing as a "good representative" elk unless he has 6 points on a side. Not to say I haven't shot 5x5's, etc., but the difference in "wow" factor is huge.

Jack has done a lot more hunting than Phifer; Jack is a good guy. Phifer is not. He has postulated some things on the African site that are simply not believable. Everyone who has hunted with Nixon has had a great hunt. Phifer has called many of liars (including a police detective and doctor).

Consider this: Phifer pulled the trigger on many animals (way more than he initially contracted), then has the balls to state the hunt was illegal. Why did you pull the trigger Bill?

It makes no sense. He claims Nixon stole his travelers checks and forged his name. He never reported any of this on AR until someone brought it to light that he stiffed the PH and outfitter. Can you imagine an outfitter stealing your TCs? Wouldn't happen in a million years. The TCs were never reported stolen to local law enforcement, or Nixon surely wouldn't have presented them for payment.

Meanwhile, every other guy who has hunted with Nixon has nothing but praise for the guy.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flags:
Elkhorn Outfitters in northwest Colorado. I've never hunted with them but their reputation is really good. They have the rights to several really big ranches that have a lot of elk, mule deer and pronghorn antelope.
Flags

Thanks Flags will look them up..

quote:
Originally posted by Brian Clark:
I know an outfitter in Montana who runs a good operation, he hunts in western Montana on the border of Idaho. It is a true wilderness hunt on horseback in a very scenic area. There has been some change to Montana's tags for non-residents, I believe it might be a little easier to draw tag now then previous years. The price for a elk hunt runs $3600 for 2:1 or $4000 for 1:1, there is also a possibility to do a combo hunt for mule deer as well.
Thanks!
Brian

Thanks Brian.. Not sure I understand who you are referring to as the outfitter though.. bewildered

quote:
Originally posted by double k:
Take a look at Diamond J Outfitters they run Back country horseback hunts in the Bridger Teton in Wyoming great camp and lots of elk

Cheers I'll look them up.. tu2

One of Us
Picture of Brian Clark
posted Hide Post
PM sent

Thanks!

Brian Clark

Blue Skies Hunting Adventures
www.blueskieshunting.com
Email at: info@blueskieshunting.com

African Cape Trophy Safaris
www.africancapesafaris.com
Email at: brian@africancapesafaris.com

1-402-689-2024

Posts: 1013 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 30 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What ever or who ever you choose, Best wishes! tu2

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The wolf problem is putting a dent in the elk herds in Idaho, Montana and Wyoming. That's not to say you can't get a good bull there. If I were coming from the other side of the world, I'd consider the landowner tags available in various states, that way you could make serious plans before draw results are out. And I agree that a good representative elk would mean a 6 x 6. Looking at a rag horn on the wall just doesn't cut it. Just my thoughts on the matter.

Posts: 67 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 11 October 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
Howso77, I have hunted with Elkhorn Outfitters several times.If your looking for a Large 6X6 bull then you will be lucky to get what your after since the bulls in the area they hunt are not large or very mature. You can expect a good hunt and a high likelyhood of sucess on 5X5 and small 6X6.If you want a wilderness hunt go early in the season Sept/Oct time.I can say they are good honest people who do their best for their hunters.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
. Phifer has called many of liars (including a police detective and doctor).

I don't have a dog in this fight, but WTF has one's profession got to do with one's honesty? I'll tell you what: not a damned thing. I personally know lawyers, doctors and a couple of cops who have one thing in common: they're all crooked, dishonest sons of bitches. Carry on.

OP, hope you get the hunt you're after. There was another bloke, a Brit, Kiwi or Ozzie, I forget which, who came to the US to hunt elk and killed a magnificent bull, I believe on public land. Anyway, hope you get one, and post pics!

Wink

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote