New
Find
Notify
Tools

All you deer hunters
 Login/Join

Picture of Bakes
posted
I have a whole leg of Rusa, bone in, I would like to roast. I've never done venision before, any tips you guys have in cooking this meat. I don't want it to turn out all dry.

Posts: 7978 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of milosmate
posted Hide Post
Bakes you got email, hope the files were not too big!

Milosmate

Posts: 217 | Location: Christchurch,New Zealand | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Yep got them, thanks mate.

Posts: 7978 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Hey Bakes!

I cant say about Russa, but when I do a deer roast I just season it, add a spot of butter, some onions, maybe a strip of bacon or two and place it in the oven covered with foil for about an hour.

Ive found that if you combine veggies and other goodies that it tends to cook a gamey taste into them, so I cook them seperatley.

G-luck!

Posts: 10141 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Bakes,

A Flavor Injector works great. Just find the desired flavor injector marinade and shoot it up w/ about 32 oz or so and let it set in the fridge over night. Wrap it in foil w/ some onions a potatoes and bake it on about 300 for 4 hours or until you have the desired tenderness. This method works even better on the pit or in a smoker.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
overcooking venison causes tough meat. be careful of that and enjoy.

Posts: 3167 | Location: out behind the barn | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replys guys. I have the the legs broken down into round, top side, silver side and rump. Are the above methods the same for each cut of meat?

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Bakes,

I would cook them all the same. Just remember, if you use the injector method, be sure to seal the roast and veggies w/ foil.

When cooked on the smoker or pit, some like to open the package for the last hour to let the smoked flavor really sink in.

NCBowman is right, venison will dry out if not cooked properly but, once you master the proper cooking methods, it is a tough cut to beat.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roast Venison - Easy to Do!

1 pckg. Lipton's Onion Soup
salt and pepper
garlic powder (or minced fresh)
parsley flakes
sweet basil

Wash and clean the meat. Mix the ingredients in a bowl. Wrap the meat tightly in heavy foil after you have seasoned it with the mixed ingredients. Roast in the foil in a roasting pan for 2-3 hours in 325 degree oven. Delicious! The best part is the sandwiches you make the next day with the sliced meat - that roasted-in onion flavor is fantastic!

Posts: 113 | Location: B.C., Canada | Registered: 18 March 2003Reply With Quote