Find
Notify
Tools

Lightweight , Over-trouser Waders ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted
Any recommendations for a light , easily packable over-wader for those river crossings that are more than easy wadable - like deeper than ya nuts ?

I have seen a Meateater Alaskan hunt where the guy had a pair of pull-over waders that packed to nothing but nowhere can I find such things.

Any suggestions welcome. I should add Im a low budget kinda guy....

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4456 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Search over the boot waders.

Several choices pop up.

Posts: 19358 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Some friends swear by Wiggy's in Alaska but haven't tried them myself. https://www.wiggys.com/clothin.../lightweight-waders/

I cross a lot of small streams and hate wet boots, especially in the winter, so bought some Hodgman 'game wade' or something PVC overwaders. They leaked on the first crossing of about 20' in ankle deep water. Not impressed!

I had made a few DIY packrafts (www.diypackraft.com) and had the TPU coated nylon fabric and iron - so I took apart the crappy PVC waders, made patterns and made my own overwaders, one for each leg vs. chest height. Doubled up the bottoms/soles, added velcro straps around the ankle and over the calf. They work great in calmer streams up to a few inches over the knee, was an 'ok' winter project, but next time I'm buying some Wiggys!

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Thats the only one that really comes up , but the reviews are not great. Was hoping someone had a good alternative .

Thanks so far ;-)

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4456 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote