Find
Notify
Tools

Catching newborn fawns *DELETED*
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Post deleted by ncboman

Posts: 3167 | Location: out behind the barn | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's always best just to look but don't handle and surely do not move them from the spot. I spook little fawns every now and then but that's of not much consiquince because their mama's will find their scent trail. It probably has no real effect on the doe if you have your scent on the fawn but what's the purpose? In our ranching operation we have on occasion had baby fawns cut in half by hay mowing machines as the does invariably like to put their young fawns down into the tall hay grass(coastal bermuda) and the tractors or moving at a good clip to cover alot of ground. They generally notice the fawn but can't stop in time to save it. A friend of mine sliced up his old English bird dog while mowing down tall cane hay; it was a long walk to the house to get his gun to finish the job. I made the mistake of deposing of one fawn's dead body from where it was killed and the doe hung around the area for two days in broad daylight looking for it. She would not have done that if she could have found it dead. So just look, the doe is near by.

one of us
Picture of Quarter Round
posted Hide Post
ncboman, When you find youself in a hole with a shovel stop digging while you can still get out. I read the posts and there is merit in what you wrote, but it was pretty heavy handed considering the outcome. Fawns will die and fawns will live and it was apparent given the circumstances described this fawn would die without the intervention. Of course had the man not been there and the doe was mature she would normally drive the fox off.
Let it go.

one of us
posted Hide Post
ncboman, I think its fair to say that one should not touch a newborn fawn. The story sounds a little funny to me. 2 guys around and the foxes were still there? Im sure if they had just mowed around the fawn the doe would have called it and it would have moved all by itself. Sounds to me like the guy wanted some pictures to bragg about. We mow a thirteen acre field every 3 weeks or so, and often in the spring there is a doe and fawn. If the doe keeps hanging around she probably has a fawn. When we get closer to it the doe starts running around nervously. Eventually she will come to where the fawn is and they both will move off. People do some funny things. I used to work with a guy who came upon a deer that had been hit by a car. He called the police and then pet it untill the cops came and shot it. Ive hit about 5 deer with cars, and never once has petting them crossed my mind. I guess its all the kicking and flailing.

Posts: 30 | Location: NY | Registered: 18 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ncbowman-
I am in agreement that it is best to leave fawns alone. The guy should have just tied a T-bone around the fawn's neck because now the scentless fawn smells like this guy and his last McDonald's happy meal. Easy pickins for a predator's nose.....
MG

one of us
posted Hide Post
well I handled the topic wrong and I apologized for it. Kind of went overboard attacking the guy when I could have got more positive results acting in a different way.

My experience has been that fawns that are tamed to humans almost always are doomed.

Posts: 3167 | Location: out behind the barn | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Snydburns,

I used to work in Animal Control. One time I got called out for a skunk that had been hit by a car. When I got there, a couple had it on the curb and were petting it!

Some people just don't belong in the gene pool.

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TheeBadOne
posted Hide Post
Looks like that entire thread was deleted on that site, it no longer exits.< !--color-->

Posts: 4394 | Location: USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Typical of the quality of this guy. He is a moderator on another forum and is a real "heavy hitter". The boy just dont know what he dont know.

Posts: 1370 | Location: Home but going back. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Looks like that entire thread was deleted on that site, it no longer exits.

yup.