THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Nosler partition compared to win. partition gold.

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nosler partition compared to win. partition gold.
 Login/Join

<leo>
posted
Every cross section picture I have seen of a nosler partition shows it to have a thin jacket covering the front section. It has always been known to basicly mushroom on impact. But looking at winchester's ammo guide, the cross-section of the partition gold shows a thicker jacket covering the front section and a thicker partition than the NP and of course a steel insert that protects the rear section from being deformed. The partition gold won't mushroom as easily as the NP will it? I heard it said here that the NP will properly expand at velocities down to 1800 or 1900 fps. but I always assumed they would properly expand at much lower velocities than that due to that soft front end. So, what's the truth? Thanks, leo.

one of us
posted Hide Post
From what I have seen the win. is a tougher bullet then the Nosler. Well it make a diff. to the game your shooting I do not think so.

Posts: 19616 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
sure the coating looks cool but it seems like they just reinvented the wheel is all.
I know the reason I like the regular partition is because it upsets fast and still zips through with good penetration.

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nosler moved the partition forward and beefed up the jacket on the partition gold and it is a much tougher bullet and retains its core better an you get pretty mushrooms everytime...

BTW the 416's are the old Nosler with only a thicker jacket as they did not move its partition forward...It really works well on Bufalo, Lion and big Bear.

I like them both in fact I never met a Nosler I didn't like
Will Rogers

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<phurley>
posted
I have shot the Nosler Partition for 30 years and killed deer numbering in the hundreds with it, never a failure or complaint. I used the Nosler Partition Gold on an Alaskan Yukon Moose from a .340 Wby. and got a one shot dead in his tracks kill on a huge Moose. I was very pleased with the results. If you use either Nosler and place the bullet where it is supposed to be you will have no worry. Do your part and the Nosler will do it's. Good shooting.

------------------

one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RMiller:
sure the coating looks cool but it seems like they just reinvented the wheel is all.

NosChester currently offers uncoated Partition Gold's, as well.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
<leo>
posted
Well if the partition has been moved forward in the partition-gold then that means the rear shank should have a higher sectional density to penetrate even better than the original and with a prettier mushroom too.

One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
I shoot both the standard Partition and the non-coated Partition Golds. When I am pushing higher velocities from my Dakota's, the Golds offer a little tougher bullet. Both bullets offer exceptional terminal ballistics and I have yet to find a more consistently accurate hunting bullet across the caliber board.

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I like them both in fact I never met a Nosler I didn't like
Will Rogers

Did Will REALLY say that? I agree with whoever said it.

Tim

Posts: 149 | Location: Nebraska USA | Registered: 22 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
The Nosler Partition (Protected Point if available) is where I always start if I'm loading a caliber in which it's made. On bigger calibers that don't have NPs available, I start with Woodleigh SP Protected Points. Never failed me yet in terms of accuracy, velocity, and terminal ballistics.

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NETim, "I never met a man I didn't like," Will Rogers. I think Ray was putting a little play on words. And, well done!

Posts: 918 | Location: USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Lars G>
posted
Leo,

Here's a pic to look at. On left is a 180 gr .30 cal partition gold. Middle is a 250 gr .338 partition and on the right is a 300 gr .375 partition. Unfortunately I did not have any "standard" .30 cal 180 gr paritions for a true apple-apple comparison, but I think you will get the idea.

BTW, I shot a big blacktail buck here in Alaska on opening day with the 180 gr gold parition. I did recover it too after about 30" of penetration. He was bedded down behind some small trees and I was real close, about 20 yds. Rather than spook him I shot below the neck and drove it stem-to-stern. I don't have the recovered bullet scanned, unfortunately.

-

I'd say the the location of the partition has been moved foreward to some degree. I'd agree wholeheartedly with Ray - I too have never meet a parition I didn't like! (Well, I have to admit I'm not into the coated ones . . . )

one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
I wonder why they bothered with the steel cup, like in the Failsafe.

I've recovered regular partitions after hitting rocks and the rear core never popped out.

Has anyone ever actually seen the rear core of a Partition seperate from the jacket?

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gatehouse,

I did recover a 175 gr. 7mm partition bullet from a zebra once that had flattened and had part of the rear core squished out...all that after over 3 feet of penetration. Thet bullet certaily did it's job, but certainly "took one for the team" in the process.

I love Nosler bullets and will continue to use them.

Posts: 643 | Location: DeRidder, Louisiana USA | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
According to nosler themselves. The original partition is designed around 60% weight retention. The gold line is based on 90% or greater retention. Personally I like the grenade effect of the old nosler.

Posts: 837 | Location: wyoming | Registered: 19 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The old Noslers that blew the front end off were the best penitrators..The mushroom works against penitration regardless of how long the shank is, the shank is a "push plus" but without that mushroom you basically have a solid...the "granade" effect of the front end always had a positive effect on deer and antelope and resulted in a lot of one shot instant kills with a caliber size exit hole that blead well...

For bigger animals I like the partition gold except in the 416 with 400 gr. bullets, that is the old style that has been beefed up and it just barely expands, but enough to really kill Buffalo and still penitrate almost as well as a solid, I love that bullet..It is the perfect Buffalo bullet.

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray,
OOOps, I find myself agreeing with you again. Must be getting close to time for the Dallas Convention. We'll be in the same buliding again so we have to practice getting along. [Big Grin]

Rich Elliott

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote