THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Arizona Camp Navajo for Active and Retired/Disabled Military?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Arizona Camp Navajo for Active and Retired/Disabled Military?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted
Any one of my blood brothers who served, or are serving ever hunt on Camp Navajo in Arizona?

Looks like a good deal especially if you live in that area.

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
I dug up some information and it isn't really all that pretty.

It is a National Guard base so they can restrict non-National Guard folks from hunting there. Well they kind of can, they try like hell.

They have 3 seperate hunts. One for Arizona National Guard or Retired Guard, one for 60% or greater disabled vets, and one for everyone else that is retired or active duty military.

They are known to cancel the active duty and disabled hunting seasons based on drill. Often, and harass the hunters.

Also found out that Fort Hunter Liggett in California works fairly the same. Excepting that they don't tell anyone when the elk draw is.

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've hunted a lot of military bases. It's fairly easy for me since I'm active duty. But every one I've hunted on all have the same clause in their regulations that state training comes first and all hunting can be suspended with no or little notice.

So, this isn't unusual. One good thing about Camp Navaho is that you can use the unlimited archery deer tags there. So, if you want to bow hunt deer in AZ, that's a pretty good deal.

The only thing I'm interested in hunting in AZ is Javelina. And they don't hunt them on Camp Navajo.

Posts: 2940 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice. | Registered: 26 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
I don't want to bow hunt anywhere! thumbdown Not into that at all. I'd rather have my teeth kicked my a truck stop harlot.

I guess we will see what kind of disability I will end up with. I did the math and it looks like 70, but I heard the VA has some kind of Obama screw you math that makes 9 things at 20 percent end up being 55%.

I have Lyme disease which is supposed to be 100%, but I don't know anyone who retired with it. So we will see.

Just found out that NAS Kingsville has nilgai hunting on base, plus the deer program at the Escondido bombing range.

But the nilgai are only for active or 60% disabled vets.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of military bases in the South that have a lot of really good hunting. Matter of fact, Ft Benning in GA and AL has so many hogs that they pay a bounty on them and you can hunt them year round.

I'm currently stationed in VA and just in this area I can hunt Oceana Naval Air Station (this includes 4 other areas under the same MWR affiliation), Cheatham Annex Naval Supply Facility, Yorktown Naval Weapons Station, FT Eustis Army Base, Langely Air Force Base, FT Pickett Army Training Base, FT A.P. Hill Army Training Base, and Quantico Marine Corps Base. All of these are within 3 hrs from here and all of them have a lot of deer.

If I want to go into North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Florida, Mississippi and Louisianna I can hunt even more bases. I'm guessing if someone had the time and the desire they could take 100 whitetails a year off the military bases in the South alone.

Posts: 2940 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice. | Registered: 26 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
Thanks Flags,

I really appreciate it.

I am only interested in Western Hunting with a rifle. But I'll pass this a long to the folks that I know that hunt.

My boss is a Army Col that grew up on a 8000 acre farm in Iowa, and doesn't hunt.

Talk about a waste!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check into Ft Carson and the Air Force Academy in Colorado. Both of those allow hunting for mulies and elk. I haven't hunted them myself since I have other places to hunt in my home state. But they could be worth your time.