New
Find
Notify
Tools

Selway Hunt Cancelled
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Forest fires have shut down the Selway so my elk hunt is cancelled. A real bummer. Two hunts lined up this fall and both fell through.

Next up: stag in Scotland first week of Oct. Keeping my fingers crossed...

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
That sucks...great area...the drought has hit the west hard...

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the wolves up there have put the hit on most everything but the sheep anyway.
you ain't missing nuthin but sore feet and sun burned eyeballs.

Posts: 4988 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ouch! Thats not FAIR!
No one man should have to endure
losing 2 hunts in one season.
Open and shut case of "Cruel and Unusual"
as far as I'm concerned.
Hopefully you're able to salvage more.
Its still early...

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:
the wolves up there have put the hit on most everything but the sheep anyway.
you ain't missing nuthin but sore feet and sun burned eyeballs.

Shot a big 6x6 last year. Am 3 for 3 in that area.

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
You may get lucky and have that area re-open. The last few days we have been getting lots of very cool weather and steady light/medium rain. It has really put the brakes on the fires burning here in the N/west corner and the panhandle of Idaho. Good luck!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A real bummer. Two hunts lined up this fall and both fell through.

Next up: stag in Scotland first week of Oct. Keeping my fingers crossed...[/QUOTE]

You will enjoy the Highlands. I hunted on Glen Gloy (above Ben Nevis and east of Ft. William) in Sept. 2014 with Ewan Fraser, of Balgowan, Laggan, Invernesshire. It is great country and different from anywhere here save perhaps a few parts of Alaska. I got a very nice 10 pt. stag that had been a royal in 2013. He had two bumps above his brow tines that had been full points the year before. We spotted him about 20 minutes before sundown. It was an exciting hunt and the Scots are great people. Good luck to you.

Posts: 150 | Location: Blanco Co., TX | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blanco county:
A real bummer. Two hunts lined up this fall and both fell through.

Next up: stag in Scotland first week of Oct. Keeping my fingers crossed...

You will enjoy the Highlands. I hunted on Glen Gloy (above Ben Nevis and east of Ft. William) in Sept. 2014 with Ewan Fraser, of Balgowan, Laggan, Invernesshire. It is great country and different from anywhere here save perhaps a few parts of Alaska. I got a very nice 10 pt. stag that had been a royal in 2013. He had two bumps above his brow tines that had been full points the year before. We spotted him about 20 minutes before sundown. It was an exciting hunt and the Scots are great people. Good luck to you.[/QUOTE]

I have hunted Scotland before and you are right, it is wonderful.

As far as the hunt, my outfitter already returned my deposit and cancelled the hunt. Was due to go in Sep 14.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure the Selway will be open by Oct. 15, should give one a good idea where the elk are as you will sure know where they ain't!!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41986 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since I had meetings with customers in Lewiston and the Tri Cities, I didn't cancel my flight (should have changed it either Pasco or Lewiston however - dumb!!) and consequently flew into Missoula this afternoon. It sure looks good; I drove hwy 12 over to Lewiston and only caught a faint whiff of fire.

I am bummed I am not hunting, but feel worse for my outfitter - he had to make a decision based on the data he had.

You boys that live in Montana have got life by the balls.