Find
Notify
Tools

Early Elk Report
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted
I just came back from 9 days of elk scouting/ hunting south of Jackson. We had snow when I got there and the elk were low, 7200-7500ft. it looked good, then the snow melted and they went back up to 9-10,000 ft. It was so rough and steep it would have taken ropes to get to them, then pack the meat 1/2 mile to as close as a horse could get. Any way I'm going back in 2 weeks, try again.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot an elk in the Selway a few days ago. Rut is way late there.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The rut was late in Montana's Bob MArshall Wilderness too. The day we packed in it had turned from hot and dry the day before to a driving rain storm. Out of 7 days it failed to rain snow or sleet only one day (so I went fishing). I shot a 4x4 bull 3 hours into the first day. By day 5 we had 6 bull elk in varius stages of being packed into camp. By day seven we were back at the ranch and the elk were at the processors. Exceptional luck. Didn't hear a bugle until the last day but they really responded to cow calls.
Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote