THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    I LOVE the Texas Hill Country for Hunting

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I LOVE the Texas Hill Country for Hunting
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
I'm considering a new job that would take me from Texas to the Pacific Northwest and was thinking how fortunate I am to be able to hunt in Texas, especially the Hill Country. Not that the NW won't offer ample and different opportunities, as well as great fishing and quicker access to Alaska and BC! But the year around hunting in Texas in fantastic.

My friends and I have had a 5,300 acre lease since 2005 in Edwards county. We use it year around. It's low fenced and we have not introduced any animals on it. We have great facilities - a 2 bedroom, 1 bath 1,200 sq ft cabin that we have extensively renovated, satellite TV, commercial range and outdoor grill, wifi, fire point, spring fed swimming hole, walk-in cooler, large covered cleaning station, a barn, shipping containers and a new modular building with 4 bedrooms, 4 baths, and living/kitchen - so we can accommodate a lot of folks comfortably.

I was out there this weekend and saw: numerous white tails, hogs, turkeys, fallow, axis, sika, aoudad, one bull elk, coyote (dammit) and numerous smaller critters like foxes, porcupines, tree squirrels, rock squirrels, and even a feral cat (he has 6 lives left, missed 3 times).

God Bless Texas!

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I have never lived outside Texas, never wanted to. Not being rude but I have stated many times that I cannot imagine what it would be like to not be a Native Born Texan.

With that said, for someone with a chance to improve their life and the lives of their family, moves sometimes have to be made.

Do what you think is best, A Texan can always come back home.

Best of Luck with your decision.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never lived in TX but go there a lot on business. One huge disadvantage TX has the lack of public land.

Not sure what you pay for that lease, but in northern MN you can lease land from paper companies from almost nothing. You don't have exclusive use, but you can build a cabin and a sauna.

On the other hand, no state tax in TX!

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
My Texas roots go back to the 1850s, but I am also proud to be a third-generation Oregonian. I can understand your love of the Hill Country though. On some visits to Baylor while my daughter was an undergrad there, I got to explore part of the Hill Country and found it fascinating and very alluring. I think having a hunting lease and cabin there would indeed be very close to heaven.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16653 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
If I do move, I plan to buy a small tract of land in the Hill Country. Need to have a "Texas Home"!

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Austin Hunter:
I'm considering a new job that would take me from Texas to the Pacific Northwest and was thinking how fortunate I am to be able to hunt in Texas, especially the Hill Country.

I'm not sure that I would trade what you have for the PNW. It sounds like you have a great set-up.

If you do make the move you should keep your lease, even if you will only make it back once or twice a year.

You could have the best of both worlds.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
Oh, I plan to keep the lease. The other members will finally have to do some work.

One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
I live in the hill country...outside Blanco. I grew up in west Texas and sure like it. I am 5th generation Texas as my family settled here from Germany on both my mothers and Dads side. I have lived other places..Colorado, Washington DC,to name a couple,but when I started my family Texas was home and having my family around me and my family is important. I have never had to lease land as my family have been land owners since the late 1800s, and we still have our family place in Coke and Runnells county..I have paid for plenty of hunts,( nilgai,axis,ect) and really enjoyed them...Texas is a great place, but I shure could be talked into northern AZ, West slope of Colorado,ID,western South Dakota...

Texan by birth, and choice,

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
There are other great states for sure but Texas isn't the fastest growing state in the country without reasons.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
There are other great states for sure but Texas isn't the fastest growing state in the country without reasons.

I wouldn't wish that any any state(except maybe NY). I can guarantee those new residents will not share your views.

If you doubt me just ask Oregon, Washington or Colorado.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Speaking as a native Oregonian, Mr. Brown could not be more correct about new residents NOT sharing traditional Oregon views. Our neighbors from Chicago were horrified when I killed a turkey on our five acres a couple of years ago. We had so many turkeys in the neighborhood that they roosted in our carport. Don't ask me about the deer I did not dare safely shoot, or the bears wrecking our apple and plum trees. I would not wish liberal out-of-state Democrats on Texas, either.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16653 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh we have more than we need already in Texas. Austin is full of libtards and wierdos, and inner city Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio need to get thier collective heads out of their azzzes as well.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
JG, I was "afeared" o' that ...

Frowner

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The PNW is not a bad place to be, either. Airlines go "home" if you need to.

Posts: 352 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 29 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you need someone to fill in on that lease-----

Wink

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Let Sean have your lease, I know I'llget and invite! dancing

You can take the boy out of Texas, but you can't take Texas out of the boy.

I am a 10th or so generation of Texas cowmen and Texas Rangers..I moved to Idaho 31 years ago, I still miss Texas and I will be buried there, got a couple of old Rangers that promised me that! Smiler

Except for the Idaho bunch, all of my family lives there and they are many in numbers, some ranch and some are in one business or another. I visit them during deer season! tu2

God Bless Texas

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
We recently purchased 66.27 acres of a rocky hill in Kerr County. I am in the middle of high fence on three sides. My immediate neighbors and I have no fences. I have White-tail, Axis, Fallow, Sika and I think an Elk. Lots of pigs.
Yep, No Place Like Texas! Especially the Hill country!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Be sure you get your Lifetime license before you leave Texas.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote