New
Find
Notify
Tools

mouflon sheep hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I would like to bag a purebred mouflon. Saw some huge ones on the YO ranch last year. Would really like to hunt some free range. Has anyone hunted the island of Lana'i. Here they have some nice mouflons. Or any suggestions in Texas.

Posts: 69 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 29 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pheasantman

Late Bloomer who posts here, lives on the Island and has a good friend who outfits Mouflon hunts. You may want to PM him.

Good Luck on your hunt.

Tom Kessel
Hiland Outfitters, LLC (BG-082)
Hiland, Wyoming
www.hilandoutfitters.com

Posts: 402 | Location: Central Wyoming | Registered: 14 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted Lanai earlier this year with Pat Fishers outfit. I actually hunted with Steve Gelakoski. This was a fantastic place to hunt and the sheep are plentiful but can be hard to find. Feel free to PM me if you would like more info.

DRSS

Posts: 626 | Location: OK USA | Registered: 07 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might find a ranch or two in around the YO that have them free ranging sheep also. I know of one ranch that has exotics on it that were not put there by the land owner, they just came in on their own.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, JA I did look into Pat Fisher's outfit and looks good. Wish it was longer than a two day hunt. Is two days sufficient to find a trophy mouflon in Jan or Feb in your opinion. He said extra days are $850. That can make it a longer hunt if needed. larryneg@santel.net

Posts: 69 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 29 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted in January and we saw quite a few sheep with probably three shooters including the one I ended up taking. We were up on the mountain before daylight and I was fishing by 5:00 or so that evening.I don't know if I just got lucky or if that is the norm. Pat did tell me that August was the best month as it is the rut.
January is a good month to watch whales (and you can see quite a few even when up on the mountain hunting)and the weather is beautiful. Plus that was the only time we could get away and it worked out perfect.
I think Pat and Steve are near or at 100 percent putting their clients on rams no matter what month.

DRSS

Posts: 626 | Location: OK USA | Registered: 07 June 2009Reply With Quote