Notify
Tools

what's for dinner
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
just dropped a couple packages of Mt. Sheep
stew meat in the crock pot.
Add baby carrots and new potatoes later.
Put together a fresh salad and got half a homemade apple pie left from dear ole' MIL
Gonna pull the cork on a good bottle of wine.
In my home "food stamps" = hunting licenses!!

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a pretty good dinner! I've been meaning to try ti BBQ a wild boar shoulder and make some pulled BBQ pork of it.

Posts: 1427 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FFemt5287:
Sounds like a pretty good dinner! I've been meaning to try ti BBQ a wild boar shoulder and make some pulled BBQ pork of it.

Here is my favorite recipe for pork shoulder. I let it marinate for 4 days.

Ingredients

* 1/4 cup chopped garlic
* 1/2 cup chopped onion
* 1 dash soy sauce
* 1 tablespoon corn syrup
* 2 tablespoons apple juice
* 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
* 1 teaspoon molasses
* 1/4 cup wine
* 1/4 cup Italian-style salad dressing
* 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
* 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
* 1/8 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
* 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
* 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
* 1/4 teaspoon seasoning salt
* 1/4 cup brown sugar
* 8 pounds pork shoulder

Directions

1. In a large bowl, mix garlic, onion, soy sauce, corn syrup, apple juice, Worcestershire sauce, molasses, wine, Italian-style salad dressing, distilled white vinegar, garlic powder, salt, onion powder, Cajun seasoning, crushed red pepper, seasoning salt and brown sugar.
2. Score pork shoulder 1/8 to 1/4 inch deep. Place in the bowl with the marinade mixture. Marinate at least 4 hours in the refrigerator.
3. Preheat an outdoor grill for medium high heat and lightly oil grate.
4. Cook marinated pork shoulder on the prepared grill 3 hours, or until the internal temperature has reach a minimum of 165 degrees F (75 degrees C). Marinate frequently with the mixture while grilling.

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 891 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Raven - Sounds to me like you've mistaken AR for Facebook/Twitter!!! Smiler

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Raven - Sounds to me like you've mistaken AR for Facebook/Twitter!!!

But it is hunting related.
don't do FB or Twitter.
expected jealous responses "ha ha I'm eating Mt.sheep for dinner"
How ya been?
What "beast" are you having for dinner?

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eating Elk steaks tonight with the wife and daughter! Grilled with asparagus and squash!

Posts: 344 | Location: Pocatello, Idaho | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Elk filets also are on our menu tonight. Yummmmmy.

As for desert sheep, I was fortunate in choosing a Nosler Ballistic Tip for that hunt. It destroyed an entire shoulder we didn't have to eat.

Maybe others have had good-tasting wild sheep, but I rank the meat from my ram barely one notch above javelina!

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dall sheep is the best wild game I have ever had.

I actually think elk is pretty damn tough; I prefer deer from MN. I have shot a few moose, and they are damn tough.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7572 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
Grouse on the grill along with grilled vegtables. Its 85 degrees in Chicago in March. Hard to pass up a day like this outdoors.

BigB

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tonight we are having scimitar horned oryx tenderloin on the grill. This with homemade onion rings and garlic mashed. Of course, a glass of red wine. MTG

Posts: 241 | Location: NW Montana | Registered: 22 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nothing exotic but we just had canned venison, gravy made from the juices. Put the two together over mashed potatoes. Canned corn on the side, tastes so good your tongue will slap your brains out.

Even the wife likes venison this way.

Posts: 36 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 13 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Red deer backstrap lightly seasoned then wraped in bacon with a splash of BBQ sauce on top. Baked medium rare and then thinly sliced. A little bit of heaven in your mouth.

DRSS

Posts: 625 | Location: OK USA | Registered: 07 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just finished some Antelope Steaks with all the trimmings!

Tom Kessel
Hiland Outfitters, LLC (BG-082)
Hiland, Wyoming
www.hilandoutfitters.com

Posts: 402 | Location: Central Wyoming | Registered: 14 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Antelope Brauts on the grill this evening!

Tom Kessel
Hiland Outfitters, LLC (BG-082)
Hiland, Wyoming
www.hilandoutfitters.com

Posts: 402 | Location: Central Wyoming | Registered: 14 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WV2WY:
Just finished some Antelope Steaks with all the trimmings!

Just finished antelope filets. Delicious.

I found the filets from my desert sheep to be quite good tho not the equal of antelope or elk, but certainly better than beef steak.

Sheep in a crock pot are good any time. I doubt if anyone could taste the difference between any animal after 6-8 hours.

One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StormsGSP:
quote:
Originally posted by FFemt5287:

Here is my favorite recipe for pork shoulder. I let it marinate for 4 days.

Ingredients

* 1/4 cup chopped garlic
* 1/2 cup chopped onion
* 1 dash soy sauce
* 1 tablespoon corn syrup
* 2 tablespoons apple juice
* 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
* 1 teaspoon molasses
* 1/4 cup wine
* 1/4 cup Italian-style salad dressing
* 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
* 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
* 1/8 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
* 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
* 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
* 1/4 teaspoon seasoning salt
* 1/4 cup brown sugar
* 8 pounds pork shoulder

Directions

1. In a large bowl, mix garlic, onion, soy sauce, corn syrup, apple juice, Worcestershire sauce, molasses, wine, Italian-style salad dressing, distilled white vinegar, garlic powder, salt, onion powder, Cajun seasoning, crushed red pepper, seasoning salt and brown sugar.
2. Score pork shoulder 1/8 to 1/4 inch deep. Place in the bowl with the marinade mixture. Marinate at least 4 hours in the refrigerator.
3. Preheat an outdoor grill for medium high heat and lightly oil grate.
4. Cook marinated pork shoulder on the prepared grill 3 hours, or until the internal temperature has reach a minimum of 165 degrees F (75 degrees C). Marinate frequently with the mixture while grilling.

Way too many ingredients. Shouldn't move west if you cook like that.

jumping

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Just put our dinner in the crock pot, tonight its meatballs made from ground Deer.
I just roll the meat into balls, throw them in the crock pot add seasoning, put sliced onions and peppers on it then pour tomato sauce on it and add any kind of Italian seasonings and garlic to it and just let it cook all day.
Simple and great to come home to.
Last week we ate Deer or Elk 4 out of 7 nights.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just got a package of Antelope Italian sausage out of the freezer.. thawing in front of the fireplace.. will par-boil til done, and add to a package of fetucini alfredo .. wonderful!! never any leftovers... Les

Posts: 431 | Location: Wyoming/ Idaho, St Joe river | Registered: 17 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billrquimby:

As for desert sheep, I was fortunate in choosing a Nosler Ballistic Tip for that hunt. It destroyed an entire shoulder we didn't have to eat.

Maybe others have had good-tasting wild sheep, but I rank the meat from my ram barely one notch above javelina!

Bill Quimby

This ram was incredible! We had the backstraps grilled on mesquite wood coals and it was some of the best meat I've ever had. Not bad for a tough old desert sheep

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love and crave all wild game.
Probably because of what I went through to get it but the Dall Sheep was the best I've ever had. I quit cooking it when my teenage daughters were going to be around for the meal, they ate it like it was going out of style.

Meals from game taken have always been some of my fondest memories.

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it". Fred Bear

Posts: 444 | Location: WA. State | Registered: 06 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think my favorite right now is to fry elk burgers with garlic salt, and pepper. After they are done pour Campbell's beefy mushroom soup over them right out of the can. I let is simmer a I make either mashed potatoes fried potatoes, or rice. I use the soup as gravy on the potatoes or rice. Easy and tasty. Ron

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
My deal for the past two years has been deer sushi. Small medallions of deer meat, with soy/lemon juice and Louisiana Hot Sauce-Tabasco sauce poured over it.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
quote:
This ram was incredible! We had the backstraps grilled on mesquite wood coals and it was some of the best meat I've ever had. Not bad for a tough old desert sheep

You were lucky to get a tasty one. My ram was not. It reminded me of the awful mutton we were served in a Mongolian elk camp.

The best game meat I've tasted was eland, followed by almost every other African antelope I've shot. The whitetails from the Texas Hill Country are good, too.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Simple stuff tonight

Zatarain's dirty rice and elk sliced up in a stir fry

Diet Dr Peper

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The fact you know what mutton tastes like in Mongolia on an elk hunt makes me green with envy. The hole bit about Eland being so good also make me wish it were me there instead of you.
That is awesome! I would love to have those kids of memories. Ron

quote:
Originally posted by billrquimby:
quote:

You were lucky to get a tasty one. My ram was not. It reminded me of the awful mutton we were served in a Mongolian elk camp.

The best game meat I've tasted was eland, followed by almost every other African antelope I've shot. The whitetails from the Texas Hill Country are good, too.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ted, have you tried the Zatarain's lemon pepper fish fry on catfish, walleye, and Crappie? WOW!! Ron

quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
Simple stuff tonight

Zatarain's dirty rice and elk sliced up in a stir fry

Diet Dr Peper

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Yes we have....it's all we use!!!
Add a bit of black pepper and Tony Chachere's creole seasoning in place of salt.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
quote:
That is awesome! I would love to have those kids of memories. Ron

Ron:

I'll be 76 in a few months. I was fortunate in that my occupation allowed me to do a lot of hunting over a long lifetime in a lot of places before costs went crazy.

Bill Quimby

one of us
posted Hide Post
Too bad you don't live next door I would like to hear some of those stories. Ron

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
I apologize for the crass commercial, and for hijacking this thread, but you might enjoy my book, "Sixty Years A Hunter." It has many of my stories from hunting on six continents. PM me if you're interested in a copy.

Bill Quimby

posted Hide Post
The ca. Blacktail we killed when I was growing up were the best I've ever eaten. Something about the poison oak they would eat I guess. The meat almost had a sweet flavor. Flowered and fried with gravy and rice is never a bad thing.

Posts: 18 | Location: northern California  | Registered: 02 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Tonight...Whitetail backstrap Fajitas Wink

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Pork medallions with a port cherry reduction sauce, mushrooms risotto, and a pinot noir

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community to use any opportunity to reply to a post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence problem.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10068 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Taters onions salt and pepper.....

Oh yea.....elk

It will be ready when we get home tonight.....

We love a croc pot at Thornburgh-Ville

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Scimitar horned oryx sirloin steaks cooked on the grill basted with garlic butter, cooked to medium, cream style corn, salad with ranch, a slice of bread and a cold Bud Light = one full belly!!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
Clara made a big pot of beans (Colombian style), rice, fried plantain (patacones), avacado, cole slaw and red stag steaks fried in peppers and onions. All the herbs we used came from our garden.

Pre-dinner cocktails: Mojitos and Mint Juleps. Post dinner: Gin and Tonic.

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tonight we had rib steaks from the elk shot last November, grilled with zuchinni and squash. Small glass of Willamete Pinot Noir and after dinner a glass of bourbon.

Posts: 344 | Location: Pocatello, Idaho | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Thawed out some elk today

My wife sliced some purple taters to fry....hmmmmm we will see

Add some corn and a fancy roll and here we go

One of Us
Picture of John Galt
posted Hide Post
Just finished a very "a-typical" Easter Dinner: Ham and scalloped potatoes? Broasted chicken and greens? Nope- MUCH BETTER!

Some delicious inner loin from a whitetail buck I took in late 2009. We added some asparagus and brussel sprouts packed in foil, as well as a red onion and fired it up all on the grill.

It's truly wonderful the memories eating these back straps conjure up: it took several minutes to decipher my date code ("3-2009"), as in the third deer took in 2009. The code wasn't the challenge as much as figuring out which, exactly, the hell was this deer?!

Then I remembered in a rush: I took this strange little buck from about 180 yards with a Benelli M2 Tactical, with an 18 inch smooth bore and ghost ring sites. This was, embarrassing to admit, the longest shot I have ever made on a whitetail. Funny- I always hunt them with a firearm like I do with a bow- up close and personal.

My cousin, that year, decided he wanted to try his hand at deer hunting, so I lent him my Savage 210 (12 ga. bolt gun)- hence me using the next best shotgun short, of an over and under. We are restricted in Southern Minnesota to shotgun only.

The "strange little buck" was a 5-point that I assume must have been hit by a car. His rack had the bizarre appearance of being turned backwards. His entire right side (from neck to rump) was riddled with scar tissue. The venison turned out great though, and we're still enjoying some left in deep freeze.

Thanks for the opportunity to allow me to share my tale. It sure is effective at allowing me to re-live the hunt!

- John