THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Sweet success: 30-30 AI and the Imperial bobcat

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sweet success: 30-30 AI and the Imperial bobcat
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted

I was fortunate enough to take a nice bobcat just before dark this evening. I wasn’t hunting but simply checking a clearing that ‘cats – particularly males – frequent quite often once the mating season kicks in. To be quite honest, I was checking through the kitchen window and was caught a bit off-guard as my sandbag that I keep nearby was elsewhere. So I did the next best thing: grabbed a sack of Imperial sugar, opened the window and cut loose a round with the 23” 30-30 AI Contender.

The ‘cat had just laid down on the ground in front of some deer ribs and was facing directly away from me. I was actually thrilled about the presentation as that generally results in minimal pelt damage. Without too graphic of a description, I put the Accubond in the west end of the east-facing tom. It exited the lower chest, leaving only a very small hole (dime-sized or smaller) in its wake. At the shot, the ‘cat simply went limp and never even quivered.

The photos don’t do justice to the ‘cat’s size. Weight-wise, this one has to rank in the top 5 or 6 that I have taken as it was just over 31 pounds. Out here, they do not get much bigger than that, and most mature toms are several pounds lighter.

This one also has beautiful spots and coloration, so I am hoping to ring up a few bucks when I sell the pelt. I have him in a chest and on ice and hope to skin him shortly or for sure in the morning – just as soon as this decrepit body cooperates for me (had to have the wife and twins take a wagon and go retrieve the ‘cat for me, but they seemed to enjoy the adventure!)

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9367 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Once again Nice Cat Bobby!
i got to put my hands on one about that size
recently. rode along with a friend while he checked some snares.
You are covered up with cats

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pretty cat, nice spots! congrats Cool

Posts: 206 | Location: nicholasville, KY | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bobby,
That is one beautiful cat.
Bryan

Posts: 583 | Location: keene, ky | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
Well done, sir!

God bless & have a good evening -

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess we are going to have to call you Cat Man! Dang, Bobby, you seem to have some kind of magnet for them felines. Super nice kitty. I hope he brings a premium on the hide market. In my years of hunting, I have seen maybe a half dozen, including calling. I think you have shot more than that in the past two years. Good job!

Posts: 326 | Location: Mabank, TX | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Thanks, everyone. I have indeed been fortunate and have been able to take quite a few over the years.

EDITED TO ADD: It took me a long while (it's 2:20 a.m.), but I finally got the 'cat skinned. I used to be able to finish a bobcat in 10 minutes or so (and took my time so as not to make any mistakes with a blade), but those days are long gone. Nonetheless, despite having to start and stop several times, I got it done. The way things started out, I was afraid I'd either have to freeze the partially-skinned carcass and try another day or else give it away. But it's done and the pelt is soon to be in the freezer.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9367 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lovely cat Bobby!

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice. What does a cat pelt bring?

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 892 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
WestTexasFur.com shows pricing for top grades ranging from $15 to $100 depending on region and the quality of the pelt itself.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a gorgeous cat!

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Bobby. tu2 beer Great looking cat.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice looking cat. I like your rifle/caliber selection...Congrats!

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.

Posts: 383 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 tu2

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Biggs300-

Thanks! Those moderate-velocity calibers are about as fur-friendly as you can get -- most of the time, at least.

Of the last 10 or 12 'cats, only one had significant pelt damage, that from a 150 grain Accubond a few weeks ago. The others -- mostly taken with .30 caliber/150 grain Ballistic Tips or C-T Ballistic Silvertips along with one using the Hornady 129 grain 6.5 mm SP and two with the 6.5mm 120 grain BTs -- had only slight damge and nothing to detract/deduct from the value.

It would be nice to have a .17 Rem barrel to use on them, but I keep telling myself it would be impractical out here as hogs are often a target of opportunity.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ