THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    What Time Of Day Did You Kill Your Best Deer?--Detailed Poll

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Time Of Day Did You Kill Your Best Deer?--Detailed Poll
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted
I was wondering what time of day you have killed your best deer (either largest or best scoring). My first guess was that the earlier and later times would show more voters than the midday times, but a lot of deer have been killed during midday. I thought it would be interesting to see.

Question:
What time of day did you kill your best deer?

Choices:
Daylight to 8:00 a.m.
8:00 to 10:00 a.m
10:00 to Noon
Noon to 2:00 p.m.
2:00 to 4:00 p.m.
4:00 to Dark

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
mid-morning, sometimes mid afternoon.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If we are talking gun hunting any time of the day.Here in Wis the 9 day rifle season means hunting and pushing deer hard for 9 days any time of the day goes.

Bow hunting the last 2 hrs of the day the differants is 100 plus days of bow season.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
last hr of light has always been good to me

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

Posts: 1026 | Location: UPSTATE NY | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My best was taken about 45 minutes after sunrise. Although I prefer to do my killin in the morning I usually hunt all day from sunrise to sunset. Rodney.

Posts: 1049 | Location: Cut-n-Shoot, Texas USA | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I let a small group of does passby(I like finding doe groups and watching them a while)15 mins later the buck came trailing them. Rifle season,early post rut,just after 10AM.

til later

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My absolute best came in the middle of the afternoon, after a blown morning stalk and a not so easy recovery.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ive had my best luck between 7-8 in the morning

Posts: 163 | Location: York Pa | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Penetrater
posted Hide Post
last 10 min. of light, when a good scope pays for its self. But with a Bow early morning around 1 hour after daylight.

The reason with a gun i would suppose is im hunting more open areas, and with a bow is im more in the thick of it. just my expernces.

Posts: 132 | Location: oklahoma city ,oklahoma ,usa | Registered: 10 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I score alot on different game at midday--10-2:00 is a great time to be on your stand.
Phil

NRA Life Member since 1976
philny1@zoominternet.net
877 485-6270
Visa/MC accepted , plus 3%
We have to save the Earth, only planet with beer!!

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history
when everybody stands around reloading".
Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 665 | Location: Western NY- Steuben County | Registered: 02 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
The lower productivity of good deer goes down dramatically between 2:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. Of course this is a very unscientific poll.

Red C.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
My two best were taken mid-day (noon to 1300) during the rut. They were both cruising does.

0351 USMC

Posts: 1536 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Of course they come late when I am ready for relaxation and a drink. Thank God I have a skinner.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
8:35am Whitetail Buck

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6825 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
IVE SHOOT 4 GOOD DEER IN THE PAST 3 YEARS
2 WITH MUZZLE LOADER 2 WITH RIFLE THE BEST 2 WERE SHOT BEFORE 8 THE OTHER 2 AFTER 5

Posts: 1 | Location: NW AR | Registered: 07 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Most of my experience comes from blacktails. My personal best and all but one of my clients best have come at very last light (the one exception was absolute first light). We'll get little ones in the afternoon or mid morning but the bruisers have been at dark.

I just got back from a whitetail hunt in MT and the guide kept mentioning how nocturnal the big bucks were. Sure enough we saw small bucks in the morning and mid day but the big one came out at dark.

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2508 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
Late day is taking the lead over early morning in this poll. But the 8:00 a.m. to noon is really doing well. I think a lot of us don't stay in the stand long enough in the morning.

Red C.

One of Us
Picture of Troy Hibbitts
posted Hide Post
my best whitetail was shot around 1 pm. I was moving from one rattling position to another, and spotted him in the brush tending a hot doe. During the peak of the breeding phase of the rut, I've seen quite a few nice bucks hung up with hot does around midday.

My best (and only) mule deer buck was shot just after first light. But mule deer season in Texas is over well before they start rutting.

Troy

http://thehibbitts.net/
Brackettville, TX

Posts: 282 | Location: Brackettville, TX | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Red C.:
Late day is taking the lead over early morning in this poll. But the 8:00 a.m. to noon is really doing well. I think a lot of us don't stay in the stand long enough in the morning.

I think that is very much the case. I remember an article some years ago that said most large trophies were taken during mid-day. Most hunters leave the stand for lunch and a nap and the deer move around during the mid day after hunters have left the area.

My two largest were both taken between 11:30 AM and 2:00 PM. The largest was moved by two hunters walking back to their truck.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've taken deer at about all legal hunting hours but the trail cams have been a real eye openers to me.

I have had a trail cam at a corn feeder very near a popular bedding area since Dec. of 2007. I have downloaded well over 6,000 images since then and found the does to visit mornings for the first 4 hours of light and evenings for the last 1 hour of light, typicaly.

Bucks, on the other hand, seem to visit most between 11:00Am to 3:00PM and vice versa. These are mostly "scrub" bucks with a rare visit from a "nice one". I believe the better bucks are probably moving in the same patterns as the younger ones but just don't want anything to do with the feeder.

Now that the rut has started in my area the does are still keeping there same pattern but bucks are rarely visiting to feed, mostly cruising through, noses to the ground, but still around middle of day and night.

I know this is not a scientific survey and may not pertain to your hunting area, just an interesting observation. Wink

Posts: 231 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
SteveM70, I, too have taken deer at many times through the day and have seen them at about every one of the time slots given as choices. My largest/best came in the 4:00 pm to dark slot. It is really interesting that so few have killed a good deer during the 2:00 to 4:00 p.m. time frame. As you say, with the rut, your just apt to see one in the middle of the day since they aren't interested in food.

Red C.

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Whether it be whitetail, mulie, 'lope, elk, or wildboar, it's always been best for me right after daylight and just before dark. It's always seemed that most of these animals feel night is a safety corridor.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote