Notify
Tools

Rogue River Spring Bear
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted
Folks,

Anybody hear ever hunted bear in near the Rogue River in Southern Oregon. My buddy and I have applied for Spring tags and I'm looking for pointers.

We're both rafters and have floated the Rogue several times. So that's not an issue (as long as it's not at flood stage ).
We thought that this would be a great combination of two of our passions, white water and hunting.

I know that you can't hunt for bear within a mile of the river so setting up base camps and hiking out is part of the plan. I know that most of the bears spotted close to the river tend to be from Paradise and down river. What about up river above Blossom Bar?

Any general areas where we might focus on? I'd like to try hunting out of Rogue river ranch and Tacoma Bar. Thoughts on this? I'm trying to find a topo map of the area that indicated trails and roads. I'll probably pick one up this week end.

I'm also going to call ODFW this week to find out when the bears come out of winter "hibernation" and what their feeding
habits are. When we've hunted them in the past (not successful but this was in the North Coast Range), we've looked for firs that have had the bark pulled of in order to get at the cambium layer. What about looking in meadows for bears feeding on grass.

Any other tips? Ideas? Criticisms?

Take Care,

-Steve

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
She's gonna be a hard Hunt. I understand the Bear numbers are better now(I grew up close to there),but much of where you speak,is pretty rugged country. Much has very heavy vegetation,as well.

To raft it and then hike a mile off the river,will be no easy task. Not trying to "jinx" your journey,just going by memory(grin).

It would be a splendid trip,depending upon water levels and weather in general. It is pristine and beautiful country and you might get some pretty good fishing in,if you timed it to do so.

I think you'd likely do as well,hunting below Cougar Lane,via the road system on the South side of the river. Much logging in places and more openings in general. You'll be able to cover more ground,be able to glass more and likely see more animals as a result. But due to the road system,it will see more pressure also.

That area holds some incredibly large Bears and LOTS of cats.............

<Spike>
posted
Steve-

Give me a call and I'll point you to some areas and give you some phone numbers.

Heck, if I don't get a NE tag I might be easily talked into joining you.

Jp

<Rogue 6>
posted
There are bunches of bears down there and some really big ones also. Don't bust one of them in the wild and senic area, that would get the cuffs put on you. You could walk up to a camp bear hold out your sandwich and let it chase you for a mile then bust it. Seriously bears are a real problem down there. Any bear that is eating salmon will have a nasty taste to it, but some people will disagree with that. Alot of rafters and hikers would be happy to see a few less bears down there. Oregon bears don't really hibernate they just slow down there movements. I've seen them any time of year.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Is it state regs that don't allow hunting with in a mile. Wild and senic river ways that are owned by the park service are open to hunting. That was written in the law when past in 67 as a in holder on a wild and senic river we hunt the federal lands all the time. Or is is under a differant law then the wild and senic river act.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Folks,

I talked to a wildlife biologist this morning who covers the Rogue area. He was quite helpful.

I asked him if the bears 'hibernated' in that region and stated that they did. He said that in the studies indicate that the boars and dry sows leave the dens around April 1, depending on the temperature. The sows with cubs leave the dens around the middle of May.

I asked him about feeding habits and he said that they're mostly eating grass and other high nitrogen plant foods (skunk cabbage etc) as well as old madrone berries, bug, etc..., about that time (makes sense). Glassing SE facing hills was not as successful in SW Oregon as it is in NE, but he was not sure why.

Big Stick, Thanks for the tips. I agree that it will be quite a walk out, but we'll have fun. I'll check out the areas you mentioned on the map, when I pick one up.

Rogue 6, would holding a sandwich out then running a mile way from the river be 'baiting', technically. This might touch upon the finer points of the law. Last year I made two trips down the river. Stayed two nights at Tate Creek in August, the height of the float season. I didn't see a single bear. They have been putting out electric fence caches at the more popular camping spots and tried to get the lodges to quit feeding the bears. I really think that has helped. That and there was a huge salmon run happening.

p dog, I believe that it's a state reg. It's in the regulation book. Rogue 6 is right, shooting the bears close to the river would be like shooting them in a barrel.

Spike, I'll give you a ring later this week.

Thanks Guys and if anybody else has any thing more to add, don't hesitate.

Take Care,

-Steve

P.S. Just found out today that we're going to float the Grand Canyon this summer!!!! WOOHOO!!!

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote