New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullets for 222 rem
 Login/Join

<Menander>
posted
Need help on picking the best hunting (not varmint) bullet for a 222 rem. A freind surgested a Sierra 55 grain Game King !?

The rifle is a Sako with 14" twist and it has so far not been able to handle the new 60 grain Nosler Partitions. It will be used on roedeer - big surprise

Per

posted Hide Post
Menander,

I can't say they are the "best", but I have had very good luck with Hornady 55grain SP in my .223 on Roe. I would avoid anything with a HP as I suspect they would do a lot of meat damage....

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Per Nelin>
posted
I have not tested the 55gr Sierra GK on Roe deer (yet ). A couple of year ago a Swedish magazine "Vapentidningen" tested different bullets and loads in 222Rem, one of the used gun where a Sako. Sierra GK had about the best accuracy and was only beaten by BarnesX (which had problem with stabilisation) in recovering weight. So this is the bullet I have loaded in my Sako 222Rem.

Good luck/
PerN

<K9>
posted
Hi! I've used the Sierra GK 55 grain in a 222 Rem for 3 years now. It is, in my Sako standard, the most accurate bullet I've tried (11 mm at 80 meters).
It has so far never failed me on roedeer. It usually goes through them with enough effect for them to drop on the spot without causing any real damage to the meat. I've used them from ca 10 meters to ca 180 and has always gotten an exit wound (even when I've shot through the shoulders).
I only use it during the first month of the roe buck season and have shot maybe 9 or 10 bucks with it so far. My only reservation about this caliber is that you have to be very careful about obstacles!!!

K9

[This message has been edited by K9 (edited 05-18-2001).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
My all time favorite is the 60 gr. Hornady in HP or SP...It will give you complete penitration on all broadside shots with a quarter size exit hole on Mule deer and whitetail....I think I like the HP a mite better than the SP...They never fail. I don't like the new "big game bullets" as they cut small wound channals and witha 22 controled expansion isnt all that hot, you need violent expansion with small calibers..

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi, Menander:
My old .222 (Remington 700) won't stabilize the Hornady 60 gr. HP. 4" groups at 100 yds. and 3 foot groups at 200 yds. It's still a 1/2" gun with the 50 gr. SX and the 50 gr. VMax. (It shoots better than I do.) Hornady warns you about this in their manual. A 60 gr. will penetrate 3/8" plywood going sideways at 200 yds.

Bye
Jack

Posts: 176 | Location: Saskatchewan | Registered: 14 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Guys
Does somebody tried the Sako 50 grain Barens x loading. if so please tell me how it works. I made a penetration test with many factory loads the best was norma 62 grain with 50% rest weight they other mostly vanished at the impact. the range was 40-50 yds and all penetrated the soaked papper only 2-3 inch more than a 22 mag! . not imperessing!
BR
Danny

Posts: 1127 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Guus Verheijen>
posted
Gentlemen,

I would welcome load details for proven Roe deer loads in cal. 222 Rem. Also I would appreciate if anyone (Per?) could help me to the article in Vapentidningen.

I have only recently started to use the .222 for Roe deer hunting and am experimenting with 55 gr Sierra Bullets as well as 60 gr Hornady Bullets. The powder used at present is Vihtavuori N140, which I have on hand for loading 7x64 and 9.3x62.

The current status of load deveIopment for my BRNO Fox (CZ527) in cal 222 Rem. is as follows:

.222 Rem � 60 gr Hornady FBSP Spitzer # 2270
Case: RWS Part Neck sized
O.A.L.: 54.55 MM
Primer: Fed 205
Powder: N140
Charges: 25.0 @ 25.5 grs , compressed loads
Vel.: Not measured as yet
Group: 17 mm center-to-center @ 100 m (both charges)

Comment: I note that my charges are heavier than the load given in an Italian reloading book (Andrea Bonzani, Ricarica 2) which gives 24.5 grs N140 for the 60 gr Hornady bullet. For reference a load from a Norwegian reloading manual (Vapenjournalen Ladebok) for the 63 grain Sierra Bullet is also 24.5 gr. N140.
I consider the loads near-Max/Max although I do not get any obvious sign of overpressure in my gun.
The 25.5 grain load accounted for one Roe Deer, instant kill.

.222 Rem � 55 gr Sierra FBSP # 1360
Case: PMP Part Neck sized
O.A.L.: 55.00 MM
Primer: Fed 205
Powder: N140
Charges: 25.0 @ 25.5 grs , compressed loads
Vel.: Not measured as yet
Group: 10-14 mm center-to-center @ 100 m

Comment: No practical field/hunting experience as yet! I plan to use this load in July-August. No obvious signs of overpressure were noted in my rifle. I have chosen Sierra #1360 (Spitzer) rather than #1350 (Semi-Point) in view of its being slightly �hard� at .222 velocities (See Sierra Manual)

I invite comments/suggestions,

Happy Hunting,

Guus

<Reloader66>
posted
interesting you use a small game varmint cartridge on deer.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Menander:

Most Americans don't have any concept of what a roe deer is. Why don't you explain. As I understand, they're not really much bigger than our coyotes, and virtually any .22 Centerfire will do them in.

The Hornady 55 grain bullet has the reputation for being closest to a "game" bullet among the standard .224's. I killed a 250 pound feral hog with one out of a .223 a couple of weeks ago. But the 55 grain Sierra, if it shoots well in your gun (and it certainly does in my Sakos), is fully adequate for roe.

I would guess that it would be hard to get enough VV 140 into a .222 case to cause pressure problems. At maximum capacity this should make a pretty good load in .222; but you may want to go to something faster, like VV 135, 133, or even 120.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Roe are small deer which ready for the larder weigh approx 30-35lbs and 50-60lbs live weight. They stand approx 24"-30" at the shoulder.

For more info go to http://www.deer-uk.com

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Menander>
posted
Hi -

Thanks for the advice. I have tested (on paper target only) the Sierra and Hornady, both 55 grain. The Sierra shots a little bit better than the Hornady, so thats the one for now.

Concerning using a varmint cartridge for deer. Your quite right ! I am absolutely no fan of the combination of 222rem and deer, but the gun belongs to my dad so I just reload for him, no questions asked.

Mats or some other sweed has posted some pictures of roedeer.

Menander

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've never tried these, but I have a couple of friends who have use the new Winchester 64Gr. Power Point bullets to great effect on Alaskan and NW blacktail deer. I have a video from one of them in which his 8 year old son shoots a blacktail buck with them with a .223 across a clearcut and it absolutely hammers them. I believe between him and his son he shot 3 or 4 deer with them last year and each one was a one shot kill. All deer dropped in their tracks. I was duly impressed with the video footage.- Sheister

Posts: 385 | Location: Hillsboro, Oregon | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To the top for Montero - see Per Menanders post.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
<gundog>
posted
I have used the 50 gr Barnes X bullet in the past on 2 Whitetail deer, with very good results. My brother in-law used the .222 with this bullet on Whitetail exclusively for many years in Texas with great success. This is a fast opening, very tough bullet.

Good shooting.

Mark

<rolf>
posted
Menander.
I had the exact same rife as you. Except it had a mannlicher style stock.
Without a doubt the best bullet I tried for Roe deer was the Barnes X. Weight?, 50 grains. Couldn�t get the heavier ones to stabilise. Now I can�t say I�m a big fan of the two two trouble but with this bullet I never had any problems.
Now if I could suggest the ultimate Roe deer caliber in my experience it would without a doubt be the 243 Win. With the right bullet it just flattens them. With no more meat loss than with any other caliber I�ve tried.
Regards/Rolf

one of us
posted Hide Post
Menander,
I have shot my share of roe with a .222Rem, and I never, ever, found it lacking.
I always stayed in the 50 to 55 grain bullet range, as I considered its powder capacity a bit limited for the 60 grainers, understanding that the .222Rem's killing power relies more in its velocity than in the almost inexisting mass of its bullets.
I would advise against premium bullets. They will eventually do their job, but wound channels are very narrow and this allows the deer to run away, usually in search of deep cover.
Through many years of use, I tried a number of different bullets, always with satisfactory results as I never found one which was too soft. Choosing one as the vey best is difficult, but I would probably suggest sierra's 55 GK.

Guus,
In my experience, VV140 is too slow for the .222Rem, even with 60gr bullets. I alwais had best results with faster powders in the 4198-VV133-N200 range.

My two cents.

Regards,

Montero

Posts: 874 | Location: Madrid-Spain | Registered: 03 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I'll drop by just long enough to state that I'm totally opposed at shooting noble game animals with the .222 Rem. This caliber (which I own and am fond of... for target or fox shooting) will only suffice under ideal conditions (NB. : the ones you hear more about than actually meet). I'm not starting a flame, my mind being already full of witnessed facts...

------------------
Andr�

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Andr�,
Let me, respectfully, disagree with you.
My opinion, as probably yours, is based in experience, and it looks like we have had very different experiences. I have been there, done that, too many times to think other wise.
The.222Rem is probably not the best choice for everyone as it requires above average skills as a hunter and as a shooter. In my case I hunt just for pleasure, that meaning that I have the patience and I have the time.
In my opinion the .222Rem is adequate for roe deer, and not just barely adequate.
As you may well now, roe deer are petit and you do not need a large cartridge to safely and securely put them down. On the other hand a large, high intensity cartridge is no substitute for bullet placement, even on roe deer.
I am not sure which parameters we could follow, but it would be an interesting exercise to compare the triple deuce and roe deer vs the 270 and elk vs de 375 and elephant, etc.
On the other hand I am not sure why would anyoneone consider a roe deer a noble animal and a fox a plebeian. Why would anyone chose a cartridge depending on the nobility of the animal and not on more mundane parameters such as weight, bone structure, habitat, etc.
With compliments,
Montero.

Posts: 874 | Location: Madrid-Spain | Registered: 03 July 2000Reply With Quote
<Paladin>
posted
A .224" bullet which expands slowly, in my experience years ago, is the one made by Norma. (Mild steel jacket, copper-washed). It blew holes through our groundhogs (woodchucks) and was not counted as satisfactory for this kind of hunting. If you want to knock a hole through a roe deer, I'm sure the Norma bullets would do so.

Anyway, suit yourself: here, when we have deer that small, we pet 'em....

<Don Martin29>
posted
I stand with Andre Mertens on my knowledge that this class of cartridge is not sporting for game animals. If survival is the issue and it's all you have then it's necessary.

But it's not necessary otherwise. I suggest that you don't do it.

I may have shot as many shots out of the .222 Remington as anyone. I love that cartridge. Please don't demean it by having it fail.

As it has been written "there is nothing more expensive than something that fails to do the job you got it for" (Ruskin). "There is nothing more valuable than a mans reputation. Steal his purse and you have taken only property, take his reputation and his soul is gone" (Shakespeare) "use enough gun" (Ruark).

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Montero,
We're not that far off, I see ; "not the best choice", "above average skills", "patience & time", "caliber no substitute for bullet placement", ".270 for Elk", etc. : agreed on all counts ! But, tell me, my friend, how many of our "average" hunters do fill these criteria ? About foxes, I aknowledge their useful role and their right to live... in balanced numbers (NB : this is far from being the case in this country where they're overprotected, overpopulated and overpressuring ground breeders). Nonetheless, when I shoot at a (any)living being, I want it to remain shot, on the spot. With good bullet placement -repeat : no substitute for that- my 7x64 does it all the time for Roe and my .222 or .22-250 do it for fox.

------------------
Andr�

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We are talking about deer that are about the size of a coyote. My concern would be less the killing ability and more my perception that were I to hit a twig deviation and bullet blow up would be a greater risk.

I have heard enough people who I have respect for sing the praises of this little round for Roe that I would have no hesitation in trying it were it legal to do so in England and if there were no fallow. It's not, there are and anyhow I'm as accurae with my 6.5 and do not flinch with that so there is no point.