Notify
Tools

Cleaning out the freezer
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted

Do any of you pressure can game meat?

I need to clean out my freezer and also make space for lamb and pork this fall. I decided to can all the venison up that was in the freezer. I just finished and in total, have 12 quart jars of canned meat now. I have been wanting to try this for awhile and finally did it.

I reckon this is going to be pretty tasty stuff? When I vented the canner it smelled like I opened up a pot of beef stew. I believe I will can most of the venison I get should I shoot one this fall. I will cut the straps into steaks and vacuum seal and freeze those. The rest will get jarred up.

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot a deer every year in MN for meat; I tell the local guy to package the tenderloins whole, the backstraps in six inch chunks, steaks, roasts, and grind the rest. We often have a meatball dish with Middle Eastern spices, peppers, onions, and mushrooms. I love tacos. Between the fish I take in Mexico and the game I shoot, the only thing we buy is chicken and pork.

As for canning, my version is called reloading.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
As for canning, my version is called reloading.

rotflmo

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We have in the passed and well in the future.

It depends on the year.

We use can meat a lot like hamburger putting it in all kinds of dishes.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Some friends of mine used to do that with trout. You can add the smoke stuff to it as well. Good stuff when it sits on a Ritz.

AK-47
The only Communist Idea that Liberals don't like.

Posts: 10170 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been doing it for years.A good way to utilize venison and is very tasty.I also used to can salmon when I fished lake Michigan a lot,OB

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Haven’t canned venison in years, but I do dig out the remainder of my venison each year (roasts and loin sometimes) and brine for about a week, roll in pepper and then smoke for several hours. Slow cook w/ water and let cool. Basically a pastrami and it makes a great Rueben sandwich!

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1183 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am doing jerky today. I have not made any in years and am back into it now. This is over 5 pounds of venison from last year's buck. Hickory and herb cure. I am trying out the Hi Mountain Seasonings brand.

~Ann

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
I am doing jerky today. I have not made any in years and am back into it now. This is over 5 pounds of venison from last year's buck. Hickory and herb cure. I am trying out the Hi Mountain Seasonings brand.

Now you're talkin'

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Yes....we can last years deer about this time of the year

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What we used to grind now gets canned, in pints. About the only thing around here that gets frozen and canned later is trout and salmon. Last springs freezer load then sits on a shelf.

Stews stroganoff and such is much faster and the meat is always tender.

Posts: 289 | Location: Western UP of Michigan  | Registered: 05 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never cared much for my ground venison and am looking forward to just canning the meat from now on. I trim it meticulously, those trimmings I do freeze for my dogs.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stop it! You folks are making me hungry!

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Ann hi and fun read. But I am confused. Is the picture in the OP the end result ie jars or what you call cans? If so what do you put in to preserve and what's the shelf life?

Never seen or thought of canning / jarring venison. Great idea.

Cheers

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2327 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Plenty of our friends in Alaska canned moose and it was delicious. I always planned to do the same with venison but we never seem to have much left over.
Our pressure cooker is still in the box waiting to be used.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie64:

Ann hi and fun read. But I am confused. Is the picture in the OP the end result ie jars or what you call cans? If so what do you put in to preserve and what's the shelf life?

Never seen or thought of canning / jarring venison. Great idea.

Cheers

Charlie, it is pressure canned. These devices are large and very heavy metal pots with a lid that locks down. There is usually a dial type gauge or pipe that one puts a weight on to control the pressure. My canner has the gauge, it is from the 1930's.

Meat is cut up and put into the glass canning jars and then run in the canner for 90 minutes at 10 or 11 pounds of pressure depending on your device. I add some salt and chopped garlic to my meats before putting the jar lids on. I can both venison and whole chicken. Meats must be pressure canned.

There is plenty of info on how to do this out there. Pressure canners come with instructions and there are lots of books on canning with recipes out there. This saves freezer space and also, since the canned meat is already cooked, just heat it up and add it to your dinner recipes.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ann, the wife has been canning antelope, deer and elk for many years. She puts garlic, onion slices and beef bouillon in the jars before putting them in the pressure cooker.

Then we'll place the contents in a sauce pan, thicken with corn starch and pour the meat over mashed potatoes, rice or noodles. The shelf life is about 1 year, but we usually eat it before that.

Posts: 356 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 16 April 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ronco:
Ann, the wife has been canning antelope, deer and elk for many years. She puts garlic, onion slices and beef bouillon in the jars before putting them in the pressure cooker.

Then we'll place the contents in a sauce pan, thicken with corn starch and pour the meat over mashed potatoes, rice or noodles. The shelf life is about 1 year, but we usually eat it before that.

That sounds delicious and what I will do for quite a few meals this winter!

Question: do the onions hold up through the canning process?

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
quote:
Originally posted by ronco:

That sounds delicious and what I will do for quite a few meals this winter!

Question: do the onions hold up through the canning process?

The onions hold up fine, they aren't crisp, but they aren't mushy.

Posts: 356 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 16 April 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good to know, thank you!

~Ann

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Ann thanks for the reply / info! Something to look into over here in Europe ! Cheers

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2327 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An update:

My venison jerky won a local foods contest this past weekend and I had more compliments than I ever expected for it. Makes me happy and I can't wait to make more.

Here's a link that some may find helpful if you decide to try pressure canning game meat:

https://www.realtree.com/deer-...CAxItqYIw_KaRkXnXyj8

~Ann