THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Dick's Sporting goods out of the AR business....

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dick's Sporting goods out of the AR business....
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted
I heard today on the radio that Dick's Sporting goods will no longer sell semi automatic rifles of the AR15 type and no high capacity magazines, whatever that means.
Just wondering what they will do with their stock of AR's and magazines? Would they wholesale the whole mess to someone like a Sarco, CDNN or Sportsmans Guide or?
Just makes me wonder??
On the same news report they stated that Dick's was the biggest retail seller of AR15's in the nation.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The closest Dicks is 65 miles from me went in there last fall Because I though they carried a tent I was looking for.

there prices were very high no tent no reason to go back don't now no reason for sure.

Posts: 19610 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WLW
posted Hide Post
I see they are living up to their name.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4821014232

"He Who Farts in Church, Must Sit in Own Pew".

Posts: 364 | Location: Moorpark, CA | Registered: 18 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I haven't been to Dick's Sporting Goods in a long time. I never will again. Don't have any AR15s but damn I have the right to own one.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4780 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
According to this NY Times article, "The company said that it had not decided what to do with the inventory of assault-style rifles but that they would not be sold in the marketplace." Maybe the Russian or Syrian army is looking for a bargain.

Frankly, I see this decision as a boon to the "mom-and-pop" sporting goods/gun stores that have largely been muscled out of the business for many years now.

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don't have any AR15s but damn I have the right to own one.

I do not see anywhere that Dick's is saying you don't have the Right to own an AR, just that they are not going to sell them!

Isn't it funny how folks on here support a Bakers Right to refuse to fix a wedding cake for a couple of Homo's yet are ready to crucify a business for exercising its right to not sell a certain type firearm!

Has the term Hypocritical lost all meaning????

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
It is Dick's business and they can sell whatever they like as long as it is legal.

Personally, I do not trade there anyhow because of a lack of products that interest me, poor service, AND because I have better options.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Dicks made that same announcement after the Sandy Hook shooting.

So they havn't sold an AR15 since 2013

I might have purchased a ball cap or two from Dicks but one things for sure.....I will not buy any more from them.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I quit buying hunting and shooting merchandise from Dick's several months ago when I was looking for a 7mm-08. I approached the gun counter and was met by a nice young man who was very willing to help me. I asked him if they had a 7mm-08 that I could see. He happily indicated that they did..... and brought me a 7mm Rem Mag. When I told him I was looking for a 7mm-08, he said the 7mm Rem Mag was the same as a 7mm-08. I asked him bring me factory ammo for both calibers (which they had). After comparing the two, I thanked him and promptly left the store. It was a good lesson for both myself and the young sales person.

Several months later I visited the store again hoping for a different experience. I was looking for a particular paper target for sighting in rifles. They didn't have it but, this time, the young man at the counter seemed more knowledgeable and was familiar with the target I was looking for. I appreciated his response when he said that the store seldom carries the merchandise that most avid shooters and hunter typically look for.

Since these experiences, I have purchased a basketball for my neighbor's son for Christmas and a pair of sneakers for my son from the store. I may now be completely done with this store, as I have other stores that have the stuff I need with more knowledgeable sales staff.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.

Posts: 383 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dicks just built and opened a new store a mile or so N of me. I went in for something they advertised and was not in stock.
On the way out without anything I had to go thru a long exit/checkout line. The doors were completely blocked off by a bar assy. like a fence.
I decided if they treat everyone like that even if we don't buy. They can go to hell, I won't be back again. This deal reinforces that decision.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6019 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ismith
posted Hide Post
Safe to say that if you let your wife or daughter shop at Dicks they will most certainly get Dicked.

What force or guile could not subdue,
Thro' many warlike ages,
Is wrought now by a coward few,
For hireling traitor's wages.

Posts: 262 | Location: Montana | Registered: 17 January 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also heard on the news that some of these stores are not going to sell guns to anyone under the age of 21. Right now, it's age 18. Until the law is changed, does anyone here see a lawsuit from the 18-20 year old crowd?

Posts: 2628 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
18 yr old soldier can die for his country but not buy the rifle he trained with????? barf

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Screw em!

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dicks owns the Field and Stream stores.

Posts: 12245 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
quote:
Don't have any AR15s but damn I have the right to own one.

I do not see anywhere that Dick's is saying you don't have the Right to own an AR, just that they are not going to sell them!

Isn't it funny how folks on here support a Bakers Right to refuse to fix a wedding cake for a couple of Homo's yet are ready to crucify a business for exercising its right to not sell a certain type firearm!

Has the term Hypocritical lost all meaning????

I absolutely support the chain's management to decide what items to sell. I don't have a problem with their decision to pull ARs from the shelves (if they were even there since SH - our local store hasn't). I support their right to make the decision not to sell to those under 21. However, I absolutely disagree with both of those decisions and as a result of my disagreement will happily NOT spend any money in their stores. They can make whatever business decisions they want, but they best be prepared to reap what they sow.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
they need 2nd Admen. $ more than we need them.

I went there last fall looking for a treestand young babe working at counter suggest The Christmas Tree Shoppe at the mall.

Posts: 736 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just like Delta and United airlines and Enterprise car rentals, none of us will ever buy from Dick's again -- until they have what we want when we want it and at the best price.

We'll break those companies just like we kept Jane Fonda out of any starring roles.

And we won't ever, ever buy any more Rugers after Bill Ruger came out for some gun controls. Or buy any more Coopers after Cooper supported Obama.

Unfortunately, our mouths are disproportionately larger than our balls and our memories are even shorter than our . . . well you know what.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I doubt Dick sold may AR`s to begin with.They would not be my choice to buy anything gun related as their staff knows nothing about guns.They can sell what ever they want to.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2th doc:
they need 2nd Admen. $ more than we need them.

I went there last fall looking for a treestand young babe working at counter suggest The Christmas Tree Shoppe at the mall.

That is hilarious!

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
According to the news... Walmart has announced that they will no longer sell guns to anyone under 21.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Can't say I was ever a big customer of Dick's or Wal-Mart, but I have shopped at both places from time to time.

Never again.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13663 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
Just like Delta and United airlines and Enterprise car rentals, none of us will ever buy from Dick's again -- until they have what we want when we want it and at the best price.

We'll break those companies just like we kept Jane Fonda out of any starring roles.

And we won't ever, ever buy any more Rugers after Bill Ruger came out for some gun controls. Or buy any more Coopers after Cooper supported Obama.

Unfortunately, our mouths are disproportionately larger than our balls and our memories are even shorter than our . . . well you know what.

Stonecreek, agree 100%!

We talk big sitting behind a computer monitor, but when reality sets in, we fold.

Sure, you're not gonna fly Delta--until it's the best, shortest route to wherever you're going, or the fare is the most economical.

And if the government bans ARs and calls for them to be turned in, it'll be a "from my cold dead hands" response--until the cops show up and give you a choice: fork it over or go to prison. Got a wife and kids? A job? You really going to give all that up over a rifle? Oh, there will be a few Ruby Ridge holdouts, but most folks will scream bloody murder, and then do as they're told.

As to the list of companies pulling out from NRA sponsorship, after a while we'll forget who they were, and life will continue as usual.

It's a sad state of affairs, but that's just human nature.

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1554 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek is the voice of reason in this thread. He's right. Sure, a few folks may stop buying things there, but it will be the tiniest of dents, and not even register on their radar.

Remember, Dick's owns Field & Stream as well. In a number of areas, Field & Stream is the largest outdoors store, and perhaps the only place to purchase hunting supplies.

In the past year I've purchased quite a few hunting related items from Dick's. They had a one-day absolutely fantastic sale on treestands, and I literally paid half of what I would have paid anywhere else, for the same exact brand and model.

Where I live there are no other stores within an hour and a half that have any hunting related items at all, except for WalMart. If I want to pick up a new camo face mask or some ammo, Dick's is my only option. There are a few gunsmiths who have shops, but they're by appointment only and have a very few types of ammunition and no hunting gear. I tend to purchase everything online, but Dick's is my only option if I want something quickly. I honestly can't say I will stop shopping there.

One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
I'm fortunate enough to live in an area with a variety of outdoor stores to meet my needs. I also have access to the vast shopping landscape that is the internet. Reading the press release from Ed Stack today was truly a disappointment. His release reads like the typical Democratic vomit I have to put up with throughout my daily life. Absolutely absurd. Save the children? They sell football gear to kids who get mush brains from playing it. It's exactly this kind of short-sighted, knee-jerk reaction to things that embarrasses all of us. I think people are underestimating the effects this liberal trend towards guns will have. We've remained quiet and put up with bullshit for a long time. You mean to tell me 80 million gun owners in the USA have no voice or no clout? 5 million NRA members?

Dick's claims to respect the Second Amendment. I don't think they know what the word means. I used to WORK FOR Dick's when I was in high school. I worked in the hunting section and I sold guns. It was a fantastic time, and the company upheld a lot of strong traditions. They then consistently chipped away at our gun rights to save their own asses and look good in front of the public.

Mr. Stack and the Dick's company have gone too far this time. They're not the only game in town, they're not the best game in town, and they're certainly not getting any more of my money. It's a real disappointment.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erict:
According to this NY Times article, "The company said that it had not decided what to do with the inventory of assault-style rifles but that they would not be sold in the marketplace." Maybe the Russian or Syrian army is looking for a bargain.

Frankly, I see this decision as a boon to the "mom-and-pop" sporting goods/gun stores that have largely been muscled out of the business for many years now.

Thanks erict

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
I've been in the Dick's near me about every other month, just top browse and see if there are any deals... (there never are)When I was a skeet shooter i used to buy my shot shells there, so old habits die hard.

But I always look at the gun rack.... and for the one near me at least, I have NEVER seen an AR or even a Ruger mini-4 on the rack... and that been in 10 years. I don't know what their gunracks look like in the rest of the country, but I'm guessing they didn't sell too many anyway...

so it would seem like an easy way for them to tell their distributor "No" for an unprofitable item.

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1980 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
They don't even have good fishing gear! Of course I'm in Austin and looking for saltwater tackle, but not that far from the ocean!

Dang

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
Dick's itself quit selling AR's after Sandy Hook. The press release said they were stopping the sales at their Field and Stream stores.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Do any of us really believe Dick's or any similar Sporting Goods Store is all that dependent on sales to gun owners/hunters?

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pretty easy to shed guns (very low percentage markup) as long as everyone keeps on buying their imported made in third world sweatshop by the poorest of the masses clothing line. That's where the big profit is. Just check Cabela's sale fliers..clothing is where they all end up!

Posts: 432 | Location: Wyoming/ Idaho, St Joe river | Registered: 17 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dicks in Twin Falls is a totally liberal store, sell mostly ski stuff, shoes and socks that are worthless, cheap binocs what have you, no reloading stuff, I don't think ammo, and no firearms..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I heard that since they quit selling AR's that Ellen Dengerates now likes dicks dancing

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
I heard that since they quit selling AR's that Ellen Dengerates now likes dicks dancing

That was really bad, but funny none the less, LOL!

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Just buy a lower online, ship to a local FFL, then use it to build the AR of your dreams. It’s cheaper, fun, and zero sales tax. YouTube can show you how if you have never done it before too.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I live in Dayton, Ohio and in our Dick's store I have never seen an AR. They have a spin off store here named Field and Stream. Never seen an AR there. How can they ban something they have never sold. Bunch of Maroon.

one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
...Just wondering what they will do with their stock of AR's?

Well, now we know: Dick's Sporting Goods to destroy assault-style weapons.....

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
I've never seen a Field and Stream store, but with this BS announcement, I will NEVER purchase another item from any Dick's store.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1635 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote