Find
Notify
Tools

Marines can shoot!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted
Nothing like taking taking a young Marine corporal deer hunting for the first time!

I was lucky enough (for the 8th straight year) to join Vic Sullivan (Springhill on AR) and Heroes Hunting (Check it out on FaceBook) to take some of our best after their first deer. It's a great time to cull some does and give very deserving Marines a great outing and a heartfelt "Thank You !"

Mike and I had no luck on the morning hunt, seeing only a couple of young bucks in very windy conditions. By afternoon, the wind laid down a bit, deer started coming into the clover where we awaited and as expected, "my" Marine made a perfect 168 yard shot on a 1.5 year-old doe (about 95 lbs). The smile on his face tells it all!

We had 9 Marines (and a few alumni, of course). Altogether, we killed 7 does (two in the morning not pictured), had great barbeque, a brew or three and some of the best fellowship imaginable. What fine men those young fellows are.

My daughter was one of the guides and it was great for her to see what America's finest are really about... dedicated, humble about what they do, but ready to do their best everytime wherever called upon to serve.

Semper Fi and God Speed, guys! You are truly heroes, every one!

Marines and "guides" with the bag for the afternoon:

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7712 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brian Clark
posted Hide Post
That's Awesome, Thanks for helping out our soldiers, He looks like he had a great time.

Thanks!

Brian Clark

Blue Skies Hunting Adventures
www.blueskieshunting.com
Email at: info@blueskieshunting.com

African Cape Trophy Safaris
www.africancapesafaris.com
Email at: brian@africancapesafaris.com

1-402-689-2024

Posts: 1013 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 30 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
Judge, thanks to you and Springhill for this wonderful event! A lot of people give lip service to supporting our troops (perhaps I should be greatful even for this), but few put their words into action.

Thanks for making great memories for a few of our soldiers. Those new friends of yours will never forget! God bless,

friar

p.s. Brian, maybe after the seasons are done we can have a beer together.

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
tu2 tu2
Two thumbs up for all involved!

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I'm just kind of a hanger on. Smiler

I don't do much but have a good time. I do have great fun and selfish satisfaction cooking the lunch between Vic's hunts and the guiding. I like my food!

This year I baked some pumpkin pies (with a sugar glaze crust on top and real whipped cream liberally applied), conjured up a hot and hearty tortilla soup with lots of ground venison, served cokes to drink and nacho chips, of course, to crumble in the soup. You feel good when everyone goes back for seconds.

Vic (Springhill) is the REAL host and hard worker. He spends weeks getting ready. provides the land, great and safe stands, a killer barbeque the night before with a few suds to drink, etc. He prepares everything perfectly and we have it down pretty well after all these years.

If there is a branch of the services next to you, I'll bet they have a rod and gun club you could contact with guys who would love some home cooking and a chance to hunt. You don't have to make it a big event, of course. Just take one guy (or gal). That is just fine if you don't have much land or your club limits visitors. They'll really appreciate it. I find that the junior enlisted folks without families are especially appreciative of a family atmosphere and some good eats that you prepare for them. They give up a lot to serve, so give a bit back.

If you can, sit in a double stand with the service member. In whispered converstions, I've learned that our young Marines haven't changed much since it was me back in 1968 in the Hill Country of Texas, invited to hunt a little ranch owned by a guy who flew B-24's from Africa and Italy in WWII. Our Jar Heads still love their country and Corps, just want to do what's right and aren't afraid of any challenge. They miss their families, have great plans for the future, like their ladies, are damn proud to wear the eagle, globe and anchor.... and I'm sure that soldiers, airmen and sailors feel about the same. We are blessed to have 'em and it was an honor to share Mike's deer stand.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7712 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Judge!!!!

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
tu2 x 2! Well done Ernest!!

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
tu2 X3

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4781 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
well done clap

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6382 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
semper fi ernest

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As you well know
Marines are trained to be "riflemen" first
That's a good thing you folks are doing.
Semper Fi and nearly Happy Birthday too.
USMC 80-84

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are great at upholding the "Semper Fi" part of being a US Marine!!! Great Job

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
The most telling statement about Marines for me, was a young helicopter jockey was being interviewed by some cute piece of fluff for TV.
When asked what he did for the Marines he responded with 'I'm a Marine rifleman currently flying a helicopter!'
Shooting with excellence is the Marines business.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
sounds like a great time!

but you let your daughter off with one of those fine young men?! Eeker that's scary! Big Grin

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Great job, Ernest.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Judge G is being modest. He's the 'Senior Marine' at this event. He's also the #1 mentor there and is the range boss in getting everybody sighted in and up to speed on things like bullet placement and such.

I've only been to three of these events and can tell you it's an honor to be in the company of these fine men. I've made some very good friends and this year I was lucky enough to be with two young men that took their first deer.

And another thing about Judge G: his daughter is a great sport, very personable, a very good shot, was one of the guides, and happens to be drop dead good looking. Now THAT is quite a rare combination!

Springhill Vic really does this up right and puts a lot of time/effort into getting this organized. Thank you Vic!

Posts: 3282 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
If the Marines had anywhere near as much fun as we did putting it on, then this year's version of the Heroes Hunting Deer Hunt was another success. Huge thanks to JudgeG and Matt Norman for helping make it happen.

...and if you ever want to see something special, witness our Marines perform the flag ceremony on a flag pole that Matt Norman made from a Georgia pine tree a couple of years ago.

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is fantastic. Reminds me of the USAA slogan:
"We know what it means to serve."

Yes you do.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Well done Judge, my hats off to you my friend!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Love it!!!!

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Very nice Judge. You are a class act Sir!

one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post

Michael may have been a rookie hunter but he's a top notch Marine. This is from the Marine Corps Ball tonight.

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Ernest, Spring, Matt- Thanks for all you do. Class act, one and all.

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote