New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best rifle sling you've used???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking for the best rifle sling money can buy! It can't slide off the shoulder, and must distribute weight better than most. Bringing the gun into action quickly isn't much of a concern, at least for deer. Any ideas?

posted Hide Post
Vero Vellini, at Bass Pro.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure for lots more money there are other products, but none that work any better than The Claw....

http://www.quakeinc.com/add.cfm?itemID=9&CFID=1935308&CFTOKEN=91157526

Most of the others that I've used aren't waterproof and act like a sponge when wet. Most have a cotton covering that isn't the best for wet weather.

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not looking to spend a fortune, I'll spend $1 if it's a good sling. I'll check em both out.

One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
You may also want to check out the "Gunslinger", it is a system that distributes the wait across your hips rather than all on one shoulder, I was skeptical at first but I have to say they are simple to use and REALLY improve a days hike with a 8-9 lb rifle strapped up.

IV

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bingo! Yatzee! That's what I'm looking for. I have well formed shoulders and the slings slide off my arm. I like weight on my hips and NOT the shoulders. My pack has a kidney belt and a strap that goes across my chest. Works great. I'l have to check one of these out. Thanks!

one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
quote:
Vero Vellini

I'll second that nomination for Vero Vellini--it's the best I've found and I have several other brands that I've discarded over time while "searching" for a really good sling that you are welcome to.

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 11 August 2005 05:08
I am looking for the best rifle sling money can buy! It can't slide off the shoulder, and must distribute weight better than most. Bringing the gun into action quickly isn't much of a concern, at least for deer. Any ideas?

W/o a doubt Butler Creek for sure. They grip your shoulder better than any sling I've ever tried and Weight distribution is fantastic. IMO you will not find a sling that is more comfortable than a Butler Creek. On long hikes in rough terrain they are definitely the sling to have.

If you aren't sure and you can find one of your buddies that has a Butler Creek and a few other slings as well. Try them out on a semi-heavy rifle to see what you like.

I've got a pile of slings laying around in my gun room but, I find myself searching for the Butler creeks every time I go hunting. I've got so many differnt guns that I hunt w/, I just switch a few Butler creeks from rifle to rifle w/ the quick detach swivels before every trip to the field. I hate having the sling on the rifle while sitting in a spot (unneeded movement when shouldering your rifle) so the QD swivels come in handy then as well.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by wrongtarget:
I'm sure for lots more money there are other products, but none that work any better than The Claw....[QUOTE]

I agree, it is the best sling I have used at any price. I put one on my .270 wsm earlier this year and am now changing the slings on the rest of my rifles.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
What about the one advertized on the OLN that has split straps? I've never tried it but then again, I switched from carrying my binos in the "safari" mode to using a pair of bino buddies. After using these I can't go back to the old strap.

I still use a traditional leather sling thats not as high tech as some. But if you have your sling adjusted so you can wrap your arm in it (USMC style), it is long enough to go over your head for really bad spots.
Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brianbo
posted Hide Post
Big Nate, the sling you're thinking of is the Ching sling... a newer version of it. I use an older version with 3 attach points. The first two are where you'ld expect them, buttstock and fore end. The third is just forward of the front guard screw, that has a short section attached to a sliding loop on the main part of the sling. Makes for fast lockup very much the same as a military sling only very quickly, without having to separate sections of the main part of the sling like you do in a military configuration.

Regards,
Brian

Meet "Beauty" - 66 cal., 417 grn patched roundball over 170 grns FFg = ~1950 fps of pure fun!

"Scotch Whisky is made from barley and the morning dew on angel's nipples." - Warren Ellis

NRA Life Member

Posts: 479 | Location: Western Washington State | Registered: 10 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best hunting sling I've ever used is the Brownells "German" Latigo sling:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1180

It is superior to any I've ever seen for hunting. Only exception is I use an identical military synthetic version on two rifles.

Gary

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Josy-I gotta tell you I've used most of the ones mentioned, and a few that weren't. (the Claw is made just down the street).

I carried the Butler for years and thought the world of it, and the Claw for a while. And then... I met the sling I am about to tell you about.

A while back Brad (from here) turned me onto the Uncle Mikes Mtn sling. I am here to tell you Bubba, it is by far an without a doubt the best darn sling I've ever used or seen!

Very lightweigtht (? perhaps 3 oz) and inexpensive at about $18. It also comes with the hardware.

It doesn't slip around and it is very user friendly.

B4 I bought I would no doubt give these a close look.

Just a thought.

MD

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am with Mark on this one!

The Uncle Mike's Mountain Sling is the only one I use any more. Like Mark I have several others, but keep reaching for the Mountain Sling time after time.

I have black ones, brown ones, and even some camo versions. I really like that sling!

The price is right, they distibute weight well and will not slip off your shoulder.

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I dislike synthetic slings, especially 'Cobra' types, and all of the stretchy ones. Most synthetics aren't stable enough or stiff enough; many are too flimsy and slippery, and they're only capable of doing about 50% of what a sling is supposed to be able to do for you, which is more than just carry the rifle over your shoulder.

Leather's the only material for me. I use Brownell's "Latigo" quite a bit, and it's a superb sling. You can even get in black, which matches black synthetic stocks perfectly.

My other favorite is the the nearly-forgotten "Whelen" sling, as built by saddlemaker Vaughn Ringler in Wyoming. The Whelen is the best combination shooting/carry sling I've ever used, and it's rock-stead as a shooting rest, light, uncomplicated, tightens solidly in the closed position for saddle scabbard use, and it doesn't slip off the shoulder.

Ringler makes the best-quality lather slings I've ever seen (plus knife scabbards, et al), and he also makes one that's of the same design as the 'Latigo'.

AD

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent input, thanks. I have a Butler on my son's 243 Savage and it for sure is a good sling. Forgot about it actually.

I ordered the Gunslinger, but remember you still need a sling with it and I think I'll try the Uncle Mike's.

That Brownell's rig looks worth a shot, but a different price range for sure. Still, how many slings do you buy in a lifetime, especially if it's the "right" one. I only glanced at it, but that sling looks like it would be good for CMP AR15 shooting, quick adjustments.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
AD,

This is the synthetic sling I was speaking of. It does not stretch and works extremely well.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.as...CAL+PLUS+RIFLE+SLING

Gary

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Allen, I share your sentiments about every synthetic, Neoprene, rubber sling I've ever tried... except the Uncle Mikes Mountain Sling. You should really try one. It'll carve 1/3 pound off the overall weight of your rifle and is plenty stiff as a hasty sling for shooting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
W/o a doubt Butler Creek for sure. They grip your shoulder better than any sling I've ever tried and Weight distribution is fantastic. IMO you will not find a sling that is more comfortable than a Butler Creek. On long hikes in rough terrain they are definitely the sling to have.

If you aren't sure and you can find one of your buddies that has a Butler Creek and a few other slings as well. Try them out on a semi-heavy rifle to see what you like.

I've got a pile of slings laying around in my gun room but, I find myself searching for the Butler creeks every time I go hunting. I've got so many differnt guns that I hunt w/, I just switch a few Butler creeks from rifle to rifle w/ the quick detach swivels before every trip to the field. I hate having the sling on the rifle while sitting in a spot (unneeded movement when shouldering your rifle) so the QD swivels come in handy then as well.

What he said...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will not use a conventional sling ever again. I use the Boonie Safari sling. It is a front carry sling that you can use without using your hands, plus the fact that when you are in a treestand it is over both shoulders and laying on your climber and can not fall. When walking you can grab your gun and shoulder it faster that you can aim. All my buddies now use one after they see mine. You can adjust it and use it conventional if you want to also. http://www.booniepackerproducts.com/

Posts: 231 | Location: Abbotsford, Wis. | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brad and Rflowers, I looked at the Uncle Mike's. 1 1/4" wide? Does that dig on the shoulder at all? I realize that the fatter straps can't really be used as a sling should, and in fact are best for actually carrying the gun. But does the Unlce Mike's feel that good on the shoulder?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Allen on this one. I prefer Brownells Latigo to most.

My Dad has used a sling of this design for what seems like forever, so naturally I started with this design (built myself). I've got a lot of synthetics, and they generally get used once then its back to the Latigo.

Brad, I looked at one of those Mountain slings yesterday, and just about picked one up.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi,
FWIW.
For me a deer rifle sling is something that is kept in the back pack, being brought out when there's venison to carry back to camp.
Whilst stalking, the rifle is carried in my left hand, ready to bring up to the right shoulder when needed.
I find this way of plodding about the bush helps me.
I have a strip of blaze orange hanging from the front sling swivel. This helps locate the rifle later, if I have had to prop it against a tree before traversing akward ground.
I have had to do this a few times now that I aint as strong as I used to be. So far I have not lost a rifle, and Lord prevent me from doing so.

I'm pink therefore I'm Spam.

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cliffs, my neighbor uses that boonie sling and swears buy it.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oldun, I'm with you on the use of a big game sling!! It's in my fanny pack until I need it later....when I'm huntin, the rifle is inmy hands at the ready, a slung rifle is a free ticket for any game jumped close and that's where most of my game comes from....Now turkey huntin is a lot different, spend a lot of time with the 835 on my shoulder runnin, callin and gunnin...that's where The Claw shines.

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think there's a better feeling than carrying your rifle in hand while in the field. I'm not sure what I love more, hunting or the firerarms. The problem I have is tendonitis in my elbows and shoulders. Normally, it's not an issue, but carrying a gun or anything that bring my fingers close together aggrivates the hell out of it in my elbows. I'm too young for these problems : (

one of us
posted Hide Post
A man does what a man has to do! I've had my turn in the barrel with tendonitis, no fun. Problem is, now that the tendonitis doesn't bother me much, it's the arthritis! Frowner

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Indeed. I've had it for years and was told you never really get rid of tendonitis, you just try not to piss it off!

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Josy, over a three day stretch last fall I put in right at thirty miles going up and down from dark to dark. My rifle was shouldered most of the time except when in close to elk. My 8lb 30-06 never bothered my shoulder a bit in the Mtn Sling and the thing "hangs" on one's shoulder better than any leather sling ever could because of the small "grippy" patch sewn in where it goes over the shoulder. For my purposes I've never found a better sling and yes, I used to use a leather Whelen style and a Latigo sling before I started using the Mountain Sling around 1994. The current Mtn Sling weigh's 3.5 oz's and cost's under $20. The Latigo goes in excess of half a pound. A lot of guys will spend big bucks building a light rifle then stick a heavy leather sling on it, something I've never comprehended. My friend Allen cares little for such minutia so I'm sure he'll stick with the Latigo but hopefully he can be persuaded to give the Mtn sling a try! Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the Boonie Safari sling too, but there is a considerable pucker factor to being around someone using one who has less than perfect "muzzle conciousness". Don't use it if that is you.

It also may not be the best shooting sling, in theory it might affect accuracy when slung up, but so far I cannot tell any POI shift with my Rem M7 floated bbl.

And if you carry calls, glasses, St. Christopher's or disco medallions around your neck while hunting there can be a tangling issue when mounting your gun.

Wouldn't want to trip and have them find you strangled to death.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Papa, that boonie concerns me for the same reason. And now the jr comes with me, I'm even more concerned. Plus, I like my front "open". I use the bino-buddy (carries in the front) and if anyone has a better way to carry mid-sized binocs I'm all ears. That thing is great. I attached my 35mm Minolta and carried the camera all day at Sesame Place. Worked great.

I'll give the Uncle Mike's a try, as I like the idea of reduce weight. Plus, I'll couple it with the Gunslinger, should work well.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a standard shooting sling, but would be open to others, as long as I can shoot using the sling. To me, the number one job of a sling is to help you shoot better, not carry the rifle.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
To me, the number one job of a sling is to help you shoot better, not carry the rifle.

Then you've got to try my Safari Ching Sling or the original Ching Sling, depending on which fits your needs better.

---
Eric Ching
"The pen is mightier than the sword...except in a swordfight."

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
I´ll second wrongtarget ... the claw are indeed very good slings and really acts as a claw ! cabelas offers them at a quite good price ... I

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chet
posted Hide Post
I agree with Brad, I have used several different types of slings over the years, but the Mountain sling is the one I now use 95% of the time. It is beautifully simple in its design, stays put on the shoulder and weighs less than 4 oz. I have used one on a 9 pound rifle in Alaska, the Yukon, BC and most of the Rocky Mountain States for 8 years and it has never let me down.

I also concur with Brads observations about the utility of commissioning an expensive 6 pound rifle and then attaching it to a heavy sling. This year in BC I shared a camp with a Stone Sheep hunter who had a Rifles Inc. 7mm WSM. It was topped with a huge 56mm Zeiss scope with bulky rings and a leather military sling that weighed well over a pound. When we weighed our rifles on the kitchen scale at base camp, his rifle weighed within 2 oz. of my M70 Legend topped with a 2.5-8 Leupold and Mt. sling. Something to consider if you are going to spend much time in the mountains.

Chet

Posts: 290 | Location: Northern Rockies | Registered: 24 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
Some of you may laugh but after buying and trying all these fancy slings, going to trade shows, listening to all the sales pitchs, buying more bullshit!

I finally found the perfct sling, quiet, doesn't slide off my shoulder, very comfortable and inexpensive, I went to Wal-Mart and got one of these "Allen Gun Sling" it's black, has a rubber type shoulder pad that is elastic and holds to your shoulder. The cost: a whopping $8.94 (Eight dollars and ninety-four cents)

I now have them on all my guns and I throw an extra one in my bag, I've never had a problem with it, believe me there's alot of miles on these.

I gave the extra one to my PH this year, he wanted to buy it off me.

So if anyone wants a bunch of expensive slings PM me, I got them for sale slightly used...

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If all you are going to do with it is carry the rifle, use any of the above. If you are interested in using the sling as a shooting support, try a Brownell's latigo.

Liberals believe that criminals are just like them and guns cause crimes. Conservatives believe criminals are different and that it is the criminals that cause crimes. Maybe both are right and the solution is to keep guns away from liberals.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
10=4 on the latigo for shooting
Judge Sharpe

Is it safe to let for a 58 year old man run around in the woods unsupervised with a high powered rifle?

one of us
Picture of 3584ELK
posted Hide Post
I like the Butler Creek sling for heavy rifles, but for the rest of the arsenal I buy the Remington leather strap sling that Numrich sells for $9.

Merkel 140A- .470NE
Beretta Vittoria- 12 Ga.
J.P. Sauer & Sohn Type B- 9.3x64mm
ArmaLite AR-10A4- 7.62x51mm
Franchi Highlander- 12 Ga.
Marlin 1894 CB Limited- .41 Magnum
Remington 722- .244 Rem.
and many, many more.

An honest man learns to keep his horse saddled.

Posts: 597 | Location: Lake Andes, SD | Registered: 15 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mr Jim Beagles
posted Hide Post
This is an interesting discussion on slings, but has anyone thought about carrying an extra swivel? They do break. I've seen it. Makes it real inconvenient to carry the rifle, no matter what weight. I always carry an extra with me just in case. Heaven forbid you ever break one, but you'll be real thankful if you do and have an extra with you. yankees

If you can't have fun, what good is life?
Were liberals born that stupid or did they work at it?

Posts: 84 | Location: Council Bluffs, Iowa | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote