THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    7 points to draw Colorado unit G16 (goat)

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

7 points to draw Colorado unit G16 (goat)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Read 'em & weep boys, I finally drew a goat tag in colorado's best unit! I am looking at taking my .338 with the 160 grain Barnes x bullet. Or maybe a pre 64 .308 featherweight, or maybe a .270 BDL... Whaddya think?
The season opens Sept. 17-17.

Posts: 359 | Location: 40N,104W | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats, and good luck!

As for rifle choice, it would be between the 270 (classic caliber) or the M70 (classic rifle).

I'd be leaving the 338 behind. No need for that kind of power on a goat.

one of us
posted Hide Post
ConGrats. I drew a goat tag for area G13 in 2001 and it was a great hunt. I took a 6 year old billy with one horn of 9 inches and one of 9 1/8 inches with massive bases on 9/12/01. Get in shape and do a lot of hiking and climbing. I took my goat at about 13,800 in elevation on Mt Huron, which is listed as 14,100 ft high. I'm from Colorado and I still found the hunt demanding. I used a 7mm Mag with 160 gr Noslers and it worked perfect.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
Good luck on the goat hunt. It took me 13 years before I drew in G13. Mac----Looks like we hunted same area. I got my billy on Iowa Peak. I could see Huron.

If I had to do it all over again I would do a half mount instead of a shoulder mount. I really like those pantaloons.

Good luck & post photo's.

Posts: 599 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If my .270 didn't have a live round jammed in it I would definitely be packing it. The m70 .308 is a nice rifle, but she's kind of a safe queen. if you have a
Barnes manual take a look at the data for the 160 grain x bullet for the .338, it's a flat shooting high energy load that would be pretty reasonable goat bullet.
I am really excited, G13 is right in my backyard!

Posts: 359 | Location: 40N,104W | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote