New
Find
Notify
Tools

ever been burned by a guide?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm working on an article about hiring a guide/outfitter and I'm looking for someone who had a bad experience. If you don't mind sharing your story with the world drop me a note. Thanks.

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
If you consider getting a long line of BS sales pitch about Game they clearly don't have and land they don't have then Yes, More than once. I don't like to mention names. If you'd like to hear the accounts send me a PM. When you first start going on guided hunts and don't know anyone, it's a common thing, terrible but common.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Never by a guide but by a local taxidermist, several times! Not sure what it is about taxidermists but there are a lot of crooks among thier ranks!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Those reports are all too common, and you should have no problem finding them.

On the flip side, you don't often hear the guides side of the hunters that show up to camp in such poor physical condition that they get winded tying their shows, and/or they plain can't shoot.

I'm not a guide, but the bad hunts can go both ways.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MrHawg
posted Hide Post
As a general rule of thumb, all guides/outfitters are shitheads. At least the ones in Northeast Wyoming. I also agree with Kudu about taxidermists. Be careful with those guys. It's funny... Pretty much any guy who makes his living off of wildlife can not be trusted.

Posts: 244 | Location: Margaritaville | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Like any profession there are superb professional guides who give you more than your money's worth and magnify the benifits and enjoyment of your trip and those not worth the gunpowder it takes to blow then to hell.
Why not expand your article and include both?

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am just a youngster yet at the age of 63, and have only been on slightly over forty hunting trips, most of which I had guides. So far, I haven't had one I couldn't get along with. There have been varying degrees of competence, but most knew their game and did the job well. Perhaps I am just easy to get along with.

The only negative experience I might relate would be as regards the care of game animals after they are taken. Almost all outfits I have gone with bring the animal back quickly, and then the guid capes your trophy for you and takes care of the meat. I have no problem helping with this chore, and have done so many times. On one hunt, we were told that the guides did no skinning and that the elk and deer would be taken to a local butcher shop for skinning and caping. Of course, this cost us extra. The fee for caping an elk was $150.00. The butcher ripped us off. I got about 100 pounds of meat from a mature bull elk. The other guys got about the same. One of the guys' elk spoiled because the guides didn't retrieve the animal until close to noon the next day.
There was more about this hunt that I didn't like, but I think you might be getting the drift. Frankly, this was more a problem with the outfitter than it was with the guides. After the hunt, I got a questionaire from the outfitter asking what I thought of the hunt and requesting suggestions. When I responded, I got a phone call. The guy was irate. "Where do you get off telling me how to run my outfit?" he asked. I told him, "If you don't want answers, don't ask questions," and hung up on him.

Please keep in mind that this was really the exception. Almost all of the guides I have hunted with have been great guys who were a pleasure to be with. The same is true of the outfitters. After all, they are in business to stay in business. It isn't in their interest to have a client have a lousy experience. Just like any business area, there are probably a few rotten apples. I just haven't met many.

THE LUCKIEST HUNTER ALIVE!

Posts: 853 | Location: St. Thomas, Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mylsef and another forum member went on a moose hunt in Canada in Nov 2003. More than burned by guides I'd have to say burned by the outfit.
The guides did the best they could, we had 3 different guys over the 11 days, of course there was also a noticeable degree of differnce of competence too.

The outfit promised a wildernes hunt, on foot, horseback or quads. What we got was a road hunt from trucks, competing against the locals, where we may have been expect to jump out and take a shot before some other yocal did. Our moose were to be left to us to do whatever with(translates; since you're from out of town, we'll take it for you). I will say that that particular camp was very well run, good tents and stoves running full time, good food too but our camp was just 4 miles from a major highway. There were no horses, and just one quad in the entire camp.
Some of the guides knew as much about the area as we did, having arrived the same day, for their first time.
I still have the letter the outfit sent us before and hunt as a reminder.

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In North America I prefer to hunt without a guide, but I have used a guide when necessary. All but one has been a disappointment in one way or another, including 6 times in Canada. I have never been disappointed in Africa; each one has been an outstanding experience.

JD

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
The only hunts I've used guide/outfitter services has been for bear. Overall, I'd have to say that all experiences were, for the most part, positive, but I had some minor issues with each.

In NB, I didn't feel like there were enough stands per hunter. Even though I'm new to bear hunting, my first experience, in Maine, must have spoiled me. There, each hunter had over 10 sites to choose from and could hunt a different stand per night, and no one else had hunted it.

I had only 1 active site to hunt in NB, but I guess that's all you really need.

In Alberta, I think it would have been beneficial in some of the stand sites to have the bait further away from the stand. In one location, which was pretty much wide open and you could see every bit of 75 yards, the stand was literally right on top of the bait. It is a designated firearm stand, so I felt it should have been a good 50+ yards away.

The guide said, well, it's here for a reason, and that is because we've had hunters miss even at this short distance. (that to me is the hunters problem). If you can't hit a bear at 10 yards with a rifle, I wonder how much you've actually handled that firearm.

There were some other issues including trophy care, etc. and how to get the hides back safely, international paperwork, etc. I think the outfitter could have been more helful in those areas so a nonres. would be better prepared. I was told, "all of that will be taken care of."

Things worked out in the end, but just a few bumps in the road I guess.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
I too would have to agree with Kudu and Mr. Hawg...as a general rule, outfitters and taxidermists are NOT to be trusted. I have been hosed by taxidermists on several occasions...where there is such easy money you'll find crooks. thumbdown
It just seems that in WY, outfitters are a bunch of whiners who think that the state owes them a living. bawling Many outfits that I have been around are not well run...most of the owners/operators/guides couldn't keep a full time job at McDonalds.

MG

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
I too would have to agree with Kudu and Mr. Hawg...as a general rule, outfitters and taxidermists are NOT to be trusted. I have been hosed by taxidermists on several occasions...where there is such easy money you'll find crooks.

I'm actually facing that right now. I have a taxidermist that does extraordinary work. He currently has 3 mule deer, a whitetail, and elk, 2 bears, and 2 antelope.

3 of them I was told would not be over $400 each because I brought them to him already fleshed and salted, and one was already wet tanned.

He just told me his fees have gone up to $500 for a deer/antelope shoulder mount due to increased taxid. supply and shipping prices. I did confirm that shipping has really gone up...In fact, I called McKenzie and shipping has tripled, but a deer manikin is only about $2-4 more.

My concern is he's so far behind, he's going to slap that NEW price on me because he didn't order the stuff when I took it to him. Of course I'll call him on it and remind him of our agreed prices, as I have them in writing.

It's a damn shame, I finally find a taxidermist close by who exceeds my expectations on quality and now I'm worrying about a future financial confrontation that may never happen.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It would be interesting to hear how much you guys paid for these guides. I drew a kaibab tag in 2001 and hired a guide at $300/day who didn't know squat. But I didn't want to hunt for a week (I had just got back from Africa) and he was the only guy who would do anything for less than a full week.

Waste of money.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
NB bear hunt: $1450 US.

Alberta: $2500 (2 bears)

Maine: cost was $1100, but I got a great deal because 2 guys lost their $400 deposit each.

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:
He just told me his fees have gone up to $500 for a deer/antelope shoulder mount due to

Doc, You've got to find another Taxidermist man, Geeze, that's high. I've been paying 275 to one of the most reputable ones around here and there are some ther dang good ones for 225-250 or so. Usually the small time ones are cheaper but, you'd be surprised at how artistic some of these fellas are. I know one guy that takes his to a Viet. Woman and she only charges about 200 and does a fine job but, it's just too far from my house to fool w/.

There are a couple around here that will rip you a new one yet, their work just doesn't reflect their prices.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Is it possible for you to post some of their work? Pics I mean?

Unfortunately for me, I'm a picky guy. I've seen work that many hunters would say, "hey, that looks awsome." All the while, I'm finding a half dozen errors with it.

It's my own fault to a degree, having some deer mounted by Chris Stabel in LaClair, IA, who is a disciple of Joe Meder. Worked for him for 3 years. So, if the work is not on par with Joe's, I'm going to be unhappy with it. Joe Meder, Scott Brewer, Denny Behn. This is the quality I look for.

My brother in law charges about what you listed and it shows in his work.

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
How can it not happen as you learn the ropes? In my 75 traveling/paid hunts I have been virtually robbed 3 times: Alaska, New Mexico, and Province of New Brunswick . I am told by older more experienced hands that I am way ahead of the game. Some seem to feel that once in five to ten trips turns out a disaster. To me it seems that a person who steals anothers dreams should in the very least be castrated, and if female circimcised. Since hunting is about money to the "professionals" and leisure to the outdoorsman or sport, there never is a true meeting of the minds! I would like to add that I have had more positive experiences than negitive by far. Some of the positives have been beyond my humble dreams.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After years in the business here in the USA I was a bit concerned about booking a trip to Africa. As it turned out I had a fantastic time. PH's have "real" licenses over there in that they must actually prove to someone that they actually have some idea about what the hell they are doing.

The problem here in the good old USA with our wild west attitude is that many of guides and outfitters here are grossly unqualified to be in the field with client.

The "requirements" for a guides license in Montana include a first aid card, that's not even required in every case, and a lack of a felony conviction, like anyone actually checks that... There is NO required traning at all and the outfitter does not even have to have spent any time in the field with a "guide" before the "guide" can take out clients. Pure BS. I've known outfitters that literally pulled some guy out of a bar the night before the clients arrived and then sent those clients out with his "experienced, and highly qualified professional guide" to quote the broshure.

In NA if you don't want to get burned I suggest a VERY tight legal contract with some VERY NASTY consequences if the outfitter and his guide fail to deliver what they/he promises.

This is why I would only book a NA hunt through the most reputable booking agents that have actually hunted with said outfitter AND his guides. The best outfitter in the world is worthless if you end up with a drunk off a bar stool for a guide.

But then again I'm just paranoid after 15 years in the business. Nothing like knowing too much to really put the fear in you...

That being said I'd say most of the outfitters I've delt with were honest and hardworking. The problem is that the scumbags clean up real nice at the sport shows too.

Posts: 763 | Location: Montana | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reloader:
quote:
He just told me his fees have gone up to $500 for a deer/antelope shoulder mount due to

Doc, You've got to find another Taxidermist man, Geeze, that's high. I've been paying 275 to one of the most reputable ones around here and there are some ther dang good ones for 225-250 or so. Usually the small time ones are cheaper but, you'd be surprised at how artistic some of these fellas are. I know one guy that takes his to a Viet. Woman and she only charges about 200 and does a fine job but, it's just too far from my house to fool w/.

There are a couple around here that will rip you a new one yet, their work just doesn't reflect their prices.

Good Luck

Reloader

Reloader: At that price, I would almost bet those hides are not tanned, but pickled. I had one mount done that way. They don't last too long. Tanning a cape is usually close to a hundred bucks, so at 200, that leaves only 100 bucks left. That isn't a lot of hours...

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
Reloader: At that price, I would almost bet those hides are not tanned, but pickled. I had one mount done that way. They don't last too long. Tanning a cape is usually close to a hundred bucks, so at 200, that leaves only 100 bucks left. That isn't a lot of hours...

You may be right AZ. That is something else that some hunters are unaware of. Some tax. use dry preserve and do not tan, or they tan themselves vs. sending cape to a professional tannery.

Actual cost to a taxidermist is about $30-40 per cape for a deer, not including shipping. However, if you or I were to send in just one cape, it would be closer to $80+ because of decreased volume.

I've seen one exception of dry preserve and it belongs to my brother. His first bowkill ever, a 132" class 9 pointer which was also #5 archery kill that year for Alabama. His deer still looks perfect. Maybe I can get him to take some pics, email to me and I'll post them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It just seems that in WY, outfitters are a bunch of whiners who think that the state owes them a living. Many outfits that I have been around are not well run...most of the owners/operators/guides couldn't keep a full time job at McDonalds.

I agree 100%! The state of Wyoming "DOES NOT" owe them a living! thumbdown Mad

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 308Sako:
How can it not happen as you learn the ropes? In my 75 traveling/paid hunts I have been virtually robbed 3 times: Alaska, New Mexico, and Province of New Brunswick . I am told by older more experienced hands that I am way ahead of the game. Some seem to feel that once in five to ten trips turns out a disaster. To me it seems that a person who steals anothers dreams should in the very least be castrated, and if female circimcised. Since hunting is about money to the "professionals" and leisure to the outdoorsman or sport, there never is a true meeting of the minds! I would like to add that I have had more positive experiences than negitive by far. Some of the positives have been beyond my humble dreams.

You make a very good point. Three bad hose jobs out of seventy-five hunting trips seems like better odds than I would need to gamble on. In fact your odds are much better of getting hosed buying a car. My own experience is one bad one out of forty-two. I will take those odds anytime, but still do my research and call a bunch of references. I also like to talk to the outfitter and listen to him. You can learn a lot listening.

In the past ten years, I have talked to a whole slew of guides and outfitters. When the subject comes to clients, they usually put them into two categories. One category is the clients they enjoy hunting with and would like to have back. The other category is the client who gripes about everything, is out of shape, and is impossible to please.

I have used booking agents, but I do most of my own booking now. In the past several years, I have bought a number of hunts at auction, even including one in Wyoming, perish the thought. My wife and I had an outstanding time there and were treated well.

THE LUCKIEST HUNTER ALIVE!

Posts: 853 | Location: St. Thomas, Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stubbleduck47
posted Hide Post
Hartfish...you have a PM on this subject.

Posts: 911 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
quote:

No, They are tanned and it doesn't cost 100 to tan capes around here especially for taxidermist that get 100s tanned.

It seems that everytime I mention how much Taxidermy is around here on the web, folks critize the work although they have no idea what it looks like. I don't know why people can't just accept that some areas of this country are just cheaper even though they do very good quality work.

Doc, I've only shoulder mounted a few game animals. I like the European mounts eqaully as well and they happen to be a good bit cheaper to boot. The EMs also take up much less space and My throphy/reloading room can't handle many more because I'm running out of room. My wife will only allow two shoulder mounts in the living room Mad so, I try not to shoulder mount unless the animal is bigger than one of the other's on the wall then, I take one of the two down and make room in the reloading room.

There are some very reputable Taxidermist around here for the prices I mentioned. Doc, I don't have photos from many of them but, they are comparable to some of the stuff you see at Bass Pro Shops in my eyes.

Doc, I don't have a whole lot of photos but, Here's a couple:

This is a 136" 8 pt killed about 10 or so years back:

And this is a 140 class 9pt I took w/ a MLer about two seasons ago:

The pictures don't seem to quite do them justice, their ears don't look yellow like that in person. Seems the flash really brightens things up.

The 9pt was a $275 mount and the 8pt was around that, can't remember exactly what the cost was. Doc, this is by two diff local Tax in the area. Some of the deer mounted for alittle less are just as good probably better. The smaller guys seem to take alittle better pride in their work than the two that mounted the deer above, probably due to the numbers of mounts they have to produce each year. I also believe some of the bigger shops sub out alot of the work.

On the price note, I believe it will most likely be higher from now on heck my deer processer went up 12.50 a deer and w/ gas prices doubled, you now how the inflation bit goes.

They may not be the prettiest mounts byu any means but, they can hang on my wall any day and I'll probably be giving these guys my business in the future as well. I don't mind trying other folks though, as long as they have some display mounts that reflect their skills.....

AZ, at the camp we've got bucks mounted in the same fashion as the bucks in the pics that were mounted 20+ years ago so, I think these will hang around for a while.

Have a Good One

Reloader

one of us
posted Hide Post
Reloader:

Let's put it this way: When I look at my mounts, I never think, "Gee, I wish I spent less on them."

The one time I went cheap, I got burned. My first ever mount, before I could afford much of anything, let alone some exotic hunting adventures.

If you are happy, more power to ya. Me, taxidermy is not an area I am going to pinch pennies. Just not worth it.

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
AZ,

It's not a matter of pinching pennies, That's just what it runs around here to get a mount done. I'm sure if I wanted to spend 1000s and send one out of state I could but, why, when there are reputable Taxidermists close by??

How much do you pay for a shoulder mount?

Reloader

one of us
posted Hide Post
the deer was 400 something; all of my stuff from outside the US or Alaska is anywhere from 400 to 1000 bucks.

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
I have had great experiences with all the guides and outfitters I have ever dealt with. This includes people in Alaska, US (including Wyoming), and Africa. I think as a hunter and potential client you have to ask a lot of questions and most of all check a lot of refrences. If you do your part I feel the potential to be disapointed is greatly reduced.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Two things -

1. On taxidermists - you get what you pay for. To make a decision on who to use, look at his work. If it looks alive and the eyes seem to track you around the room - that is good work. On tanning methods - this runs the gammit from very good to "greening". Again, do your homework, find out what the guy does and who does his tanning. If he is a local guys and says "I do my own tanning" - you are likely in trouble as the big tanneries do the best work regardless of what a local taxidermist tells you.

Next, ask if he is a member of the National Taxidermist Assoc and competes in local events. There are two types of taxidermy work - commercial and competition. The difference lies in the amount of time and money spent on the mount. If you have one or two heads/lifesize done in a life time, ask you taxidermist to do competitive work and pay the extra. If you have dozens of heads, go the commercial route.

2. On guides, I have stopped booking direct and gone with an agent to avoid getting cheated. A reputable agent, like several who post here, will stand by their outfitters and go to bat for you. I have not been cheated but have had less than perfect service a couple of times - hence my swing toward the agents. Again, you get what you pay for.

Last - I concur on Wyoming and would add Montana. Most of the guides are part time cowboys and one month guides. There are good ones out there, but hard to find. Hence, I go with agents.

Posts: 10358 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With a taxidermist, you do get what you pay for. Reloader, those pictures prove it. Not trying to be mean or nasty, but that's the way I see it. Taxidermy quality is one thing I'll never take someone's word on. There is also a difference between a taxidermist that spends his carreer mounting whitetails, and one that mounts deer, elk, sheep, pronghorn, muskox, bison, cats, bear, African game, goats, texas longhorns, exotics...............

Not all taxidermists are created equal and not all taxidermists are crooks eigther. Now if I were looking for someone to mount every dink whitetail I shot (nothing wrong with that) I'd probably look for a bargain as well.

On a different subject, as a guide, I think an article on know it all, out of shape, hunt from the seat of the truck, scared of the dark, rude and arogant clients 75% of them are. Most show up in camp looking for a harvest not a hunt.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow. A deer mount for less than $300. I am a taxidermist and I can't imagine working that cheap. To do the job right, you can figure 2 hours skinning/prep on the cape. Then another 6 hours mounting. Add 2 more hours for finish work and touch-ups as it dries.

Then, a quality form will run around $40 and put another $12 on that for shipping. Eyes, earliners, adhesive, clay, staples, paint, salt, etc runs another $50. Tanneries cost around $40-50 to do a cape and add another $15 for shipping. Then you have to provide a place to dry the mount, in my shop it costs $$$ for lights, heat, and misc. tools.

So if a guy is doing deer for $250+- then he is Dry preserving the capes (not tanning), using substandard materials, not glueing the hide to the form, and only gets paid less than $10 an hour.

I charge $435 for deer and my quality is right up there with the best 10% of taxidermists. I only take in whatever animals I can get done before next hunting season. It isn't fair to hold someone's mounts for over a year. Some guys get upset that I turn them away, but that is why they come to me.

Any taxidermist who UPs the price because he is slow needs to get out of the business. Didn't you sign a contract to the price?? All my clients sign a contract which binds us to the price. He and I are both expected to keep to our words.

Posts: 787 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am an outfitter and I will give you the other side to this story. I have had many clients over the years and have had only 2 bad hunters that I would never allow back. The worst client booked 5 deer hunts with me and sent 5 deposits. I am limmited to 14 hunts per year. At that time it was $500. per deposit. The day he arrived for his hunt,he was by himself and said the other 4 couldn't make it. That was like pulling the rug out from under me. He gave me a personal cheque for the rest of his hunt less the deposit. I was a little suspitous about his chueque but gave him his license and took him to his stand on his first morning hunt which was Monday morning. When the banks opened that morning I gave his bank a call to see if the cheque was good. They told me there were no funds in that account and that the cheque was no good. By now I was getting a little hot under the collar and went to get him out of his stand. As I was walking in to get him, he was on his way out and had allready shot a 150 class buck. I was not going to haul his buck out for him till he payed me cash in full for his hunt. He got in touch with the RCMP and Natural Resourses and I was told that because I issued him a license I had no legal right to not get his buck out, so I want back to his stand and hauled it out. The RCMP told me that all I could do was sue him, witch would have been impossible across the border. I still had to pay my guide and cook for the rest of that week. This was the second time this fellow booked with me so I kind of trusted him. His whole motive was to be in camp by Himself and have every stand for himself. He did something kind of fishy the year before but that is another story and I have been long winded enough. This is why I now require 50% down on my hunts.

Posts: 98 | Location: Riding Mountain, Manitoba,Canada | Registered: 11 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pioneer-
DId the RCMP not see this as grand theft (bad check for goods received)? I am suprised that did not arrest him for that.
Your 50% up front is perfectly fair.

Posts: 10358 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Well guys, sorry you got your panties all in a bunch because Taxidermy isn't reasonable around where you live.

It's just not that expensive around here. And on another note, you can get a nice whitetail rug Tanned around here for $75.00.

Although the pics of the two above don't do them much justice, they are just as good as the mounts I see at Bass Pro and the other Sporting good stores I've been in across the country as well as many many throphy rooms I've seen in folks homes.

The fact is they look just fine to me and everyone that stops by the house says they look fine to them as well so, I think I'll keep using our Local Taxidermist. Oh, they do mount all sorts of game and they have huge display rooms w/ the different types of game on display.

These guys have been in the business for decades and they stay more than booked so, evidently they are doing something right.

Have a Good One

Reloader

one of us
posted Hide Post
Reloader:

You dont' spend 25K or more on an African hunt and then take your stuff to a guy who charges 250 bucks for a mount. So I really doubt these guys are doing that much African work.

I think the math MC lays out makes it pretty clear. Maybe your taxidermist makes his own forms too!

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
No AZ, He buys them many at a time. He told me he trys to make a good guestimate on which form will be the right size and if he thinks he can get it on a larger one he does. Whatever pose you want of course. These guys mount animals just like most others in the industry. Just because they have more honest prices doesn't mean they should get slammed for doing it. There just artistic good ole' boys that enjoy doing it for a living. They aren't your big city Smart elic, stuck up, over priced snobs, like some Taxidermist you hear of.

I'm not inviting any of you to get your animals done by them. If you want to spend big money just to make you feel better, go ahead.

Ok, let's see these $400-500+ whitetail, Mulie, and lope' mounts I'm just all tore-up about what I've been missing all these years and all that money I could have spent roflmao Big Grin.

Reloader

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Reloader, will you post some names and numbers of the taxidermists you use?

I have some questions I'd like to ask them.

quote:
They aren't your big city Smart elic, stuck up, over priced snobs, like some Taxidermist you hear of.

Actually, I did find a "good old boy" in Kansas last December, and instead of bringing my whitetail back with me, I left it with him. He is an artist full time, and has drawings of any kind of game animal you can think of that he etched with a plain #2 pencil posted all over his shop. His second full time job is taxidermy, and I was quite impressed. His shoulder mount fee for whitetail? $300. I couldn't believe it. He uses a tannery in Minnesota. Most of the deer noses were flat, and I requested the "goose bumps." He paused and said, "that's a lot of extra work, and I'll have to charge you for it."

I asked the fee. "I'll have to charge you another $20." With that, I said, NO PROBLEM. The quality of his work is some of the best I've seen, plus he's won several competitions. I asked him how he came to his fee, not letting on that I felt it was "cheap."

He said he was a little higher than some, a little lower than others, it's not his "real" job, and he loves doing it for extra cash.

So, in this instance, I have confidence that I'll get back one of the best mounts to put in my house and it is definitely not the most expensive.

In my opinion, the guy should be getting $450 minimum for the quality I saw. And I would have paid it with a smile.

Finally, the taxidermist I'm currently using in Indiana has a live buck in a pen in the backyard. I'd say about 50% of the time when I show up to drop something off, I'll find him out there with the deer looking at his facial expressions, studying his eyes, nose, looking at ear muscles (base).

I'm sure I've mentioned this before too, but I've been to at least 20-30 taxidermy shops in Wyoming, Colorado, Utah, Nevada, North and South Dakota, and this guy in Indiana does the very best mulie I've ever seen. No question.

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Sure will Doc, give me a little bit to look them up.

Reloader

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Doc, The guy Several of my friends and I use (The one that mounted the 9pt for $275), his name is Kenneth Vidrine and his Number is (318)-322-8734

Another guy that does a good job for $275 is Terry Ford and his number is (318)-259-4756. Terry wil probably get my next one because My wife and I have rescently moved and he's a considerable amount closer than Kenneth.

Another Place is Estes Taxidermy @ (318)-255-0844. He charges about 300 but, may knock of some if you don't want the back board and name plate as some of the others may do.

The Mopst expensive place I know of around here is Mcgoughs (Sp?) and their number is (318)-396-3787. I think he gets around 350 last I heard.

Those other places I mentioned earlier for 200-250 are around a Town called Bastrop, La that some of my friends live around but, I personally haven't been in their shops because they're about 120 miles from my house but, I have seen some pics that looked pretty good.

Doc, I'm pretty sure these prices should be the same but I haven't had a Mount in about 3 years so I haven't been doing alot of searching for prices lately and evrything else around here is going up w/ gas prices.

I'm almost positive Terry's still gettin' 275 w/o a back-board and he mounted a bud of mine's 8pt that turned out pretty darn fine.

I've gotten to where I don't care for the Back Boards anymore and I've pulled em' off of a couple of mine which, kind of makes them match the walls better in our new house anyway.

I've gotten to where I like the European skulls mounts and thats what I've done to the Good bucks I killed the last few seasons. I've got a pretty good system going for that little operation and all it cost is alittle butane, some diahwashing detergent, alittle masking tape, and some flat white spray paint.

These are pretty good fellas so maybe you can get them to send you a picture or two of their displays since your not local.

Have a Good One

Reloader

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reloader:
quote:

Good Luck

Reloader

Reloader,

That is amazing. I spoke to someone here the other day that wanted nearly US$1400 equivalent (UK£795)to do a red deer shoulder mount...

I think it would be cheaper to post the cape to the states to get it done!!!

On the thread I had a ghillie in Scotland who was guding three of us on a beat on the Tay. He drove us to the river showwed us a 200m stretch of river and said "off you go..." He then went away 30mins later for lunch and came back hhalf an hour before we finished to get his tip!!! the factthat I had fallen in probably didnt help my mood TBH...

FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote