New
Find
Notify
Tools

Retire in Wyoming
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
We’ve narrowed our states to retire in down to 3 with Wyoming in the lead. Fishing when I’m retired will certainly pass many hours but at this point in my life, I want to be able to catch a meal of fish when I go out. That could be walleye, northern pike or sunfish as they are all fine table fare as far as I’m concerned. We’d prefer to live close to the fishing as we all travel for the hunts as needed. Ideally, we would like to have a small acreage near a decent sized community so we can have access to shopping, healthcare etc. What would you recommend? And NO, we will not be spending the winter there! As soon as I’m done hunting I’ll be headed south to join my wife as I’m sure she will bail at the first frost. clap I appreciate your input!

Dave Ristau

Posts: 298 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
Upton/Sundance area.

All the "town stuff" you need can be found in Rapid City and Gillette

Posts: 820 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is a nice are

Posts: 19616 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Cody

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For an outdoors person Wyoming shines as a retirement destination. Lived in the Cody area for 11 years. You can hunt and fish your brains out there. There is lots of trout and walleye fishing plus deer, antelope and elk hunting which is very good. Get to know a few locals with access and you are set.

There will be some winter there but generally the snow doesn't amount to much nor does it last. I remember taking a long walk on BLM land on Christmas day with just a sweat shirt on and the ground was bare.

No state income tax is a bonus and we never thought it was too expensive to live there at all.

Cody has about 9,000 population with all the regular amenities and Billings, MT is only a 2 hour drive and there is lots of shopping, medical facilities etc there.

Good luck,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
fishing?
you do know Wyoming is a high desert.
they do have some lakes there, but trout is the main fish, maybe some small mouth bass.

Casper has some decent spots.
Green River is near flaming gorge.
the east side of the state has a few places too.
but be prepared to be a one lake one river fisherman if you move there.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
My youngest son (53yrs. old) moved to Afton about 1 1/2 yrs. ago, mostly for its milder winters and "smallness." It had everything he wanted including a VA facility, and it's near both Idaho and Utah. He bought 2 1/2 acres just south of town. The lot had a very large garage on it, and he converted 3/4 of it into a living area.

He's now the new car manager for the dealer in Afton. Last fall he killed a nice buck and his first elk -- a 6X6 -- both within two miles of his property.

I'm not sure about the warm-water fishing, but the Snake River heads from that area toward Jackson. So catching native cutts is always a good bet.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
I’m biased
Stevensville

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:
I’m biased
Stevensville

Nice place also but it is MT not WY

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Anyone have opinions on Laramie?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37897 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it's fairly quiet, but along the freeway corridor so has good access to other places most of the time.
only spent a few nights there and passed through a bunch so that's bout all I got.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
Anyone have opinions on Laramie?

A typical college town for its size

___________________________________________________________________________________

Give me the simple life; an AK-47, a good guard dog and a nymphomaniac who owns a liquor store.

Posts: 820 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not lived there, but visited (hunted) for a week at a time near Saratoga about an hour and half west of Laramie...beautiful country! Hot springs pool! Mule deer walking around out skirts of town. Told there’s great fishing in river.

Famous Wolf Motel there.

Skip Nantz

Posts: 539 | Location: SouthEast, KY | Registered: 09 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post
Thermopolis. Close enough to most activities. Nice smaller town. Mild winters. Hunting and fishing.

GOA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
Life Member Dallas Safari Club
Westley Richards 450 NE 3 1/4"

Posts: 865 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One thing to think about is not to buy on or near a reservation.

They well have some of the highest crime rates in the states.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Now why would people who are effectively encouraged not to work have a propensity toward crime? Confused

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sheridan is nice and you have the big horn mountains in your backyard. Lake DeSmet is close by and good trout fishing in the Big Horns

Posts: 1195 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
In 10 years when I retire. We will home base out of the family ranch in Jacksboro, Texas but we plan to mostly live out of our AirStream. Rocky Mountain states through elk season then winter on the Texas Gulf Coast near Rockport or Port Aransas.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37897 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
One thing to think about is not to buy on or near a reservation.

They well have some of the highest crime rates in the states.

That's not actually true. I lived on and near near the Wind River reservation two different times over the years totaling 10 years. I now live fairly close to Ft. Hall reservation. I also have property near the Cheyenne River reservation in SD. Residents of those reservations don't significantly contribute to the crime rate in those locations from my experiences.

Posts: 865 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Preston ID is worth a quick look, also, close to Wyoming...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14625 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
For an outdoors person Wyoming shines as a retirement destination. Lived in the Cody area for 11 years. You can hunt and fish your brains out there. There is lots of trout and walleye fishing plus deer, antelope and elk hunting which is very good. Get to know a few locals with access and you are set.

There will be some winter there but generally the snow doesn't amount to much nor does it last. I remember taking a long walk on BLM land on Christmas day with just a sweat shirt on and the ground was bare.

No state income tax is a bonus and we never thought it was too expensive to live there at all.

Cody has about 9,000 population with all the regular amenities and Billings, MT is only a 2 hour drive and there is lots of shopping, medical facilities etc there.

Good luck,

Mark

Wow, I remember when you moved to WY. Why did you leave and head to Vegas?

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John,

The weather and ease of living as we get older brought us here. Everything is just handy. It also is not expensive to live here and there is an International Airport 30 minutes from my house. It was kind of a no brainer once Sadie suggested it.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
With the types of fish you want to catch you should look to North Central and Northeast WY. I'd suggest the Sheridan/Story/Buffalo area. Walleye in Lake Desmet and great trout fishing two hours away on the N. Platte or over in Thermop on the Bighorn or up in MT. All needed shopping in Sheridan or Costco in Billings, MT. Great medical facilities. The down sides are the area is mostly private land with access to public property for hunting limited, but you'll see deer and antelope every day. Good pheasant hunting on state land and a pheasant hatchery in Sheridan.

If it weren't for the walleye, I point you to Star Valley, down the Snake River from Jackson. Look from Alpine south. Great fishing on the Salt River, the Greys River the Snake in WY a nd ID, plus all the outstanding fishing in the Henry's Fork Country of Idaho. You also have access to Yellowstone, Jackson, Lake, the lakes in Grand Teton and Palisades Resevoir. The nearby Wind River Range is a another great option with hundreds of lakes and streams. Tons of public land so access is no problem. Great summer and fall weather and you don't have the extreme winds like most of WY. Real estate prices are not near what they are in Jackson, but higher than most of the state. Good shopping in Idaho Falls and Jackson. Easy airport access in Jackson or a few hours away in Salt Lake City.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4781 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I lived in Cody for 3 years many moons ago. Plenty of fishing, hunting and Wind.

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1119 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Wyoming, my home and native land. Ok so that's the words to the Australian anthem (my other home, but not native land).

Wyoming has changed, and with this oil boom not 100% for the good.

I am originally from Riverton, I have lived most of my pre 18 years split between Riverton and Casper, and in those 27 years since then I have lived in Wyoming several times in other areas. I am not an expert on the current situation.

Tourist traps like Cody, Dubois and Jackson and the surrounding areas are more expensive than more remote areas.

Areas affected by the oil boom or coal are also expensive compared to the rest of the state. Casper is a great place to live, as long as you don't need an acreage. Houses with land are expensive in Casper.

I have always thought that Cheyenne sucked. I guess it is in Wyoming legally, but kind of like how Anchorage is in Alaska. There isn't much public land around Cheyenne, and unless you have a job or military retirement that ties you to Warren AFB, I don't get living there.

I personally really like Casper (cause it has things at 65,000 or whatever it is, that most cities of 500,000 doesn't have), Lander would be fabulous if it wasn't close to Riverton and the Wind River Reservation.

Sheridan has the some of the same reservation problems (even though the reservation is in Montana) that Riverton does. But both are really great places, just keep it in mind.

Star Valley is blinking expensive and there isn't much in the way of shopping. Most people in Star Valley are Mormons, so if you are then great. If not then, well maybe find someplace else, I have never had good luck being a non-Mormon in Mormon land.

I personally don't like NE Wyoming, as they get a ton of tourist during Sturgis Motorcycle rally time, and while they have a lot of public land, it is spotty.

I like the Buffalo valley the best! To me Worland is the top. Oilfield is limited, tourist are limited, prices are reasonable but you have to drive to Casper or Billings to do any real shopping.

You also need to talk to the state.

They will require you to maintain residency for hunting, and that may not work with your current idea.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
I lived in Jackson for 27 plus years and then Star Valley for 5 plus years. The Mormon influence is negligible, unless you have kids in school.

Go to Etna and buy a piece that backs up to the Salt River Range or along the Salt River. Spectacular.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4781 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You could also do I-70 stuff. I have never been a fan of the I-70 corridor, but there are some nice towns down there.

Mountain views, tons of federal lands, quite a bit of fishing. Just saying it is another option.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
I still think MT and ID trumps WY, but that’s just one man opinion

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like Wyoming, but no one has mentioned WIND!

I met a rancher from WY (not sure exactly where he lived), but he said he took his family to town one day. A blizzard came in.

After the blizzard, his family stayed in a motel while he went back to try and clear the road to his home.

He told me he worked for almost two weeks. Every time he got the road partially cleared, the wind would recover it by next morning.

He sold that ranch and now has a ranch near Ft. Morgan, CO.

Just saying.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I moved to Wyoming about seven years ago and love it. I have turned down several opportunities which would require me to move. I’ve still got about 15 years until I plan to retire, but I definitely plan on doing it here.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have about 15 until I retire as well.

If we don't figure out how to move back to Australia we plan on ending up in Wyoming perminantly as oldies.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:
I still think MT and ID trumps WY, but that’s just one man opinion

Tag availability in Wyoming is the best for residents in Wyoming.

Wyoming and Idaho are probably 2nd and 3rd nationwide.

Wyoming is also a much more expensive place to live if you live in a oil/coal community and want an acreage. Bozeman, Missoula and Billings are the same though if not worse.

I'd be happy in any of the three, would be happy to move back to Alaska too.

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Before settling in the Owens Valley, California, my family left their homestead in Wyoming because of the wind.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote