THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    How many shots is enough for black or brown bears?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How many shots is enough for black or brown bears?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Stick:
bearhunt'r,

Are you seriously contemplating coming down,chasing after them?

Big Stick,
Always serious when it comes to bears; however, I just finished making plans for a 10 day Brownie hunt the first of May. After that, it will be back to the bait station helping older brother, and then August for Sheep (got lucky on the draw!) I think that I will probably save the money (what little's left) and try to look up that seven footer Ovis mentioned up Tustemena way!
I am trying to put together a S.E. trip for "03" for sure. Any extra info from an "insider" is always welcome!
As to pics, I'll never be w/o a camera again! Will try to post one or two myself.

best,
bhtr

ps... thanks for the offer(s)they are well appreciated!

Posts: 223 | Location: Soldotna, Alaska | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Seamus O'Grady
posted Hide Post
To CK:
I say blow the thing away as many times as you can until your sure it's dead. There is no shame in having to blast a bear more than once if your sure you connected well on your first shot. It might not even be your fault, the bullet still has to hold together while driving through the flesh and if it breaks up it's not your fault.

Posts: 567 | Location: Washington | Registered: 21 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CK
posted Hide Post
It's good to see the interest and the seriousness that you all have taken when it comes to the kill of any game. Bear hunting is serious business, leave nothing to chance especially if you are in bear country, and always have your head on a swivel even if your not bear hunting. Many a deer/caribou/moose hunter has met his maker by being the hunted, because bears are masters of opportunity, and when you are least prepared they will make the kill. I'm speaking from experience. I don't know if you can still read my real life account of a bear attack that happened to me in Sept. of 1999 while moose hunting northwest of Chicken, Alaska, but I did write this experience down in this forum in March of 2001, called PREDATOR ATTACKS!

Posts: 653 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
<ovis>
posted
Bearhunt'r

Congratulations on the sheep draw. I didn't get one so it looks like Tustumena for me. Maybe I'll see you there or on the Anchor.

Big Stick'

I DID draw the coveted Zoo permit. Hope you have a great season down there!

Joe

<Big Stick>
posted
I had a friend draw 14C another Tok,this year.

There is HEAVY salt in the wounds..........

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ovis:
Bearhunt'r

Congratulations on the sheep draw. I didn't get one so it looks like Tustumena for me. Maybe I'll see you there or on the Anchor.

Ovis,
I don't know what the fall draws will hold; possibly a late season moose on the bench, etc. I guarantee you two things: 1. I'll be up the "t" road late September 2. I'll stop by and introduce myself on the way to a couple of 30" Steelhead in October!
best,
bhrt

Posts: 223 | Location: Soldotna, Alaska | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With Quote