THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    How many shots is enough for black or brown bears?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How many shots is enough for black or brown bears?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of CK
posted
This was a subject that was brought up in a past thread that a person mentioned, he would be ashamed if he had to make two or more shots to kill a bear - I mean down, no movement, dead.......... As you might assume bears bite back even though they're suppose to be dead;

Here's the setup: You let loose with your perfect bear killing rifle, with the perfect shoulder, lung, heart, lung combination shot to bring down the bear, you thought, but wait........ the bear doesn't know he's dead yet, and charges you. Question?
Would drill him again, or would you piss your pants and run like hell............I'll give you hint: The flier that the ALASKA DEPT. OF FISH AND GAME produces for hunting bears mentions it.

Here's another one for you; You make the same shot as mention above, that drops the bear, but he lift his head again. Do you drill him again, or do you just watch?

What I'm giving you is 25 years of real life hunting experiences from Kodiak to Yakutat, that I've had to deal with while hunting bears in Alaska.

What would you do, and would you be ashamed that you had to shoot again to make sure the bear was really dead?

[This message has been edited by CK (edited 02-16-2002).]

Posts: 653 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Peter Walker>
posted
Shoot the SOB. A rug's no good to you if your dead.

...Peter

one of us
Picture of CK
posted Hide Post
Peter, I can tell you have clear thoughts on this subject too.....

Posts: 653 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
When I made my brown bear hunt the guide said to keep shooting until we either were out of bullets or knew beyond any doubt the SOB was dead. Luckily I broke his neck on the first shot and went down right on the spot and never twitched. Except when my next bullet hit him.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CK
posted Hide Post
Here's this person's reference about the being ashamed of taking two shots;

"Bragging on a 7-1/2' Brownie,is like bragging on a forked horn buck.
To add merit to the harvest of such a "beast",I'd not brag that it took me two shots(from any rifle)let alone a 30-06 with 220gr projectiles. That failed to help your cause."

You be the judge on this...............

<sure-shot>
posted
I have been charged and will never ever feel ashamed for taking more than one shot. Insurance shots are insurance shots. Keep shooting till he's down... any sign of life and put another one in him. As Jack Atchetson once said.."thats what needle and thread were made for" sure-shot

<Big Stick>
posted
A little clarification,in the regards of the thrust of that quote,is in order.

You stated:

"John S-
And I'm proud you, because this debate could go on forever. Your right, this is apples and oranges - Pick whatever floats your boat - I took a nice 7 1/2 brown bear with my 30-06 using a Partition 220 gr. at 40 yards. A lung, heart, lung and shoulder combination anchored him, followed by a quick neck shot......Bottom line....The proof is in the pudding, APPLES & ORANGES.
Take your pick."

Stated as such,that it was a colossal deed and extolled some hidden vurtue,housed within the 30-06.

I rebutted,as you mention.

Not once did I say,that you should quit shooting before the job is done.

I implied and plainly stated,that busting a rat Brown Bear twice with a 30-06,was far from an earth shaking event. When argueing the merits of a cartridge. Nor a convincing arguement for anything.

Perhaps that info will win the hearts and minds of countless upcoming Hunters and they'll clamor to stores,in order to purchase an '06.

But I doubt it and that IS my point............

one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
Any game animal deserves that second shot.
Not just to save my hide either. I keep shooting 'till their lights are out permanently.

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Answers
1.) Shoot until the bears is dead or I am.

2.) As long as he did not start to get up I would let him bleed out were he was.

Kent

Posts: 116 | Location: Cleves, IA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CK
posted Hide Post
Big Stick,

I didn't bring your name up for reason, because I knew you would take the bait and do it yourself - My, my........How quick we are to judge.......About my recent 7 1/2 FT. "RAT BROWN BEAR" that you don't know a thing about..........Nor the reason it was taken. And further more, referring to any size Alaskan Brown BEAR as a "RAT" does a discredit to the species. Your words speak for them self.
I think you missed my the point, I COULD CARE LESS WHAT ROUND ANYBODY USES! IT'S APPLES AND ORANGES. GET IT! I DON'T CARE! I was sharing my own experiences with the people.....remember how to share, and thou shall not cast the first stone.....Dude, I don't what your beef is........But maybe you'll raise above it one of these days.

So, with that said, the bottom line here, pump as much lead, (with your choice of a bear killing rifle) as needed to get the job done, whether it's a 3 ft glacier bear to a 10 ft Kodiak. And you don't have to feel ashamed about taking two or more shots at a bear, because that is what you are suppose to do....These bears are tough SOB's and they don't know they are suppose to be dead as they maul you to death.

<Harald>
posted
My one experience fits into this discussion (unfortunately). I shot a smallish (~300 lb) black bear this past September with a 7 mm Mag. He was 30 yards away and coming straight my way. I didn't have the luxury of a different shot presentation and I either had to shoot or try to shoo him away and just let it go. My first mistake was taking what I felt would be a good shoulder shot rather than a sure head shot. I had the best of intentions. I wanted to break the shoulder, tear up the lungs and drive through him lengthwise. He went down ker-flop instantly on his back, turned now broadside, legs weakly flailing like an overturned turtle. My second mistake was to rechamber but wait to see if he would try to get up again. I had plenty of time to put in number two, but I thought he was "all she wrote". After 5 or 10 seconds I realized he was trying to roll over and I raised my rifle to finish him. Suddenly, and I mean very suddenly, he came "back to life". The transformation was stunning. The bear came off the ground, found his feet and lit out at flank speed so quickly that I missed him by a handsbreadth in my haste to get on target. That was bad mistake number three. The bear luckily went away from me. Had it charged life would have become interesting since my guide, by Canadian law, was unarmed. I managed to get in one more shot in the time that bear required to cover about 45 yards and disappear into the trees. We heard him crashing around, breaking sticks just inside the trees and waited for him to stiffen up and die. That was probably bad mistake number four - not following up immediately - because at some point he got back up and crawled off into a hillside of moss covered fallen rocks and thick black timber. We lost the blood trail and after a couple of hours of crawling around on hands and knees in stuff you couldn't see twenty feet we never did find the bear. I had been convinced after it collapsed again following the second shot that it was done, but I was wrong.

I am deeply embarassed by my performance in this situation and my only advice is to shoot until the beast stops all movement and noise, but reserve at least one bullet for surprises even when he's "dead". Heck, it might be worthwhile to shoot the carcass upon approaching it just like they do with buffalo. Even a little 300 lb bear can turn you inside out. I don't know the best policy for following up. I suppose it depends on how well you think he's been hit, but I was mistaken in my judgment of that.

[This message has been edited by Harald (edited 02-16-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CK:
Big Stick,

I didn't bring your name up for reason, because I knew you would take the bait and do it yourself - My, my........How quick we are to judge.......About my recent 7 1/2 FT. "RAT BROWN BEAR" that you don't know a thing about..........Nor the reason it was taken. And further more, referring to any size Alaskan Brown BEAR as a "RAT" does a discredit to the species. Your words speak for them for them self.
I think you missed my the point, I COULD CARE LESS WHAT ROUND ANYBODY USES! IT'S APPLES AND ORANGES. GET IT! I DON'T CARE! I was sharing my own experiences with the people.....remember how to share, and thou shall not cast the first stone.....Dude, I don't what your beef is........But maybe you'll raise above it one of these days.

So, with that said, the bottom line here, pump as much lead, (with your choice of a bear killing rifle) as needed to get the job done, whether it's a 3 ft glacier bear to a 10 ft Kodiak. And you don't have to feel ashamed about taking two or more shots at a bear, because that is what you are suppose to do....These bears are tough SOB's and they don't know they are suppose to be dead as they maul you to death.

DITTO!!!!!!!

Posts: 2361 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
CK,

That wasn't a personal afront,rather an observation.

I'm sure there are untold thousands of Deer killed annualy,that need more than one shot,when hit with a myriad of cartridges,that cover a huge spectrum of "power" levels.

Once you start a job,you simply must finish it and that should be so obvious,as to not need mention.

We'll disagree on the magnitude of killing cubs,as opposed to the harvest of a more mature representation of the species..........

<Big50>
posted
I can tell you don't live in bear country, and that 7 1/2' bear wouldn't look like no "RAT" without a gun in your hand IF you ever seen one up close! So lets be a mature representation of our species shall we..........

------------------
Brent

one of us
Picture of CK
posted Hide Post
Big Stick,

Like I said before, know what you are talking about before speaking - A 7 to 8 year old Alaskan Brown Bear (an approximation by the ADF&G Biologist) is far away from being a cub.....And did you know that some Alaskan Bears don't have diet to grow up to 10 footers.......This is true. Not all places in Alaska have the perfect food to grow big tall brown bears.

Please allow others share there pride without being put down.........The second request. Thank you.

<ovis>
posted
CK

As I said before, if you are satisfied with your brownie, and there are any number of "HUNTERS" that would be tickled with him, then don't let some keyboard jockey ruin your day. "Building" a rifle or spouting ballistics tables is one thing; doing the deed is another. I even think, from another post, the jockey wants to tell us which bear to eat. Maybe he should write a book.......maybe we should just buy the boy new crayons.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm. A seven and a half foot brownie (a small one) would be one that would be a foot and a half higher than me and out weigh me by several hundred pounds easily. I think I would keep shooting until the fight was over....call me chicken but that's one hand to hand that I'd try real hard to avoid. Some thing like bush pilots; there are old ones and bold ones but no old bold ones!

Posts: 740 | Location: CT/AZ USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Mike Dettorre>
posted
Let see...any animal, shoot it until it is down period. Non Dangerous Coup de Grace if required because you are a Sportsmen.

Dangerous Coup de Grace cause you are not stupid.

------------------
MED

The sole purpose of a rifle is to please its owner

one of us
posted Hide Post
Keep shooting till it is down with lights out.

This should apply to any big game, nothing worse than having an animal get away wounded.

Posts: 562 | Location: Northern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
CK,

Not pissing in your punch,but you made the mention of a 3' Glacier Bear..........

Big50,

I've seen my share and in no place,does a 7-1/2 Coastal Brownie rate "big".

I live in Alaska,so needn't guess...............

one of us
posted Hide Post
Big Stick, are you really Socrates with a different name so you can flame twice as many folks???
When my son killed his first buck, a smallish 2x2, I had a taxidermist put it on a plaque with a nice skull cover and a brass plate with his name and the date, etc. I doubt that my son could have been prouder if it were a full royal with a shoulder mount.
It is not always the size of the trophy but what the trophy means that counts. We have gone on to bigger deer and other things but when I see the little mount, I still remember when my son was just a boy and he thought I was nine feet tall.

[This message has been edited by beemanbeme (edited 02-17-2002).]

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
Did the same with my son's spike(his first Buck)and am having his 3-point from this year mounted. What is your point?

Calling a forked-horn a forked-horn,is somehow without tact? I don't subscribe to everything a man kills,as being a "Trophy".

I shoot much,just for the table and try to do just that. Others hang on the wall,or are mounted lifesize. I can discern one of my forked-horns,from something that will go in the All Time Book.

Why would any of that,pose a problem?..............

one of us
posted Hide Post
Having shot about a dozen blackies, I feel qualified to answer.

The simple answer is "If he is on his feet, hit him again. If he is down, and you are doubt, hit him again"

Why mess with a bear?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree that there are some areas in Alaska where a 7.5 to 8 ft. bear is considered a good bear. I consider them Grizzlys as opposed to Browns but then it depends on which biologist your talking to. Again I have seen a couple of black bear that were as big as a Grizzly..All in the feed and gene pool I suspect...

The Brown Bear at Phil Shomakers camp will mostly go 9' and bigger..thats in the katmai and Becharof areas...I book for Phil.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
I've seen lots of 7-1/2' Black Bears,the best I've seen killed was an honest 8'.......

one of us
posted Hide Post
Big stick,

I have rode along on many a bear trip with my father to guide hunts. I dont care who you are, a 7 1/2 foot tall bear is a GREAT bear. I have seen my 358 Norma drop a 10 ft grizly, but the same load, and shot placment didnt even faze a small 6' he took 5 before he gave up the fight. And im shure of my placement because the hear lung area was devistated, he had 2 broken sholders, and a broken back and he still wanted to fight, only he was too broken down to do so. So even a small bear can bring about greater memories than a 10 footer i personaly like my 6' fighter over the 10 foot that rolled over.

Posts: 675 | Location: anchorage | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
DP,

I think a 7-1/2' Black Bear,is a big animal. But not a 7-1/2' Coastal Brownie of the same size.

First rule about Bears,is no two will react the same. All will hit the ground on the first poke,but not all will stay there.

I'm not interested in any undue excitement and would much prefer to shoot once and then have the Hunt over................

[This message has been edited by Big Stick (edited 02-18-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Did the bear get up and eat you? If it did not, then whatever number of rounds you used, is the right number...

------------------
I love 45
santilli@singleaction45.com

Posts: 1805 | Location: American Athens, Greece | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BS,
who wouldn't prefer that???

But I'd sooner have a second hole in the bear,
than ANY amount in me!!

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Dettorre:
Let see...any animal, shoot it until it is down period. Non Dangerous Coup de Grace if required because you are a Sportsmen.

Dangerous Coup de Grace cause you are not stupid.

Same for me.

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
<Daddy2B8162>
posted
CK, WHAT were you doing hunting for Brown Bear with a 30-06 anyway?!?!?! Would I feel bad that the critter took more than 1 shot, heck NO!!! A 7 1/2 footer may not be record book material, but is by no means is a dwarf of the species as well. As to how many shots, as many as it takes.. your not talking about a deer that will get up and run away, you are talking about an animal that will be more pissed that it already was and is now wounded.

Big Stick, as far as a Bear will go down on the 1st shot , not always true, try 3 shoots with a 7mag 220 gr's on a 8 1/2 ft Gizz charge started about 60 yds out. 1st 2 shoots went to chest, heart and lungs were both destroyed, 3rd shot brook left shoulder. That was what put him down. Gave a 4th shot for security

<Juneau>
posted
CK & OVIS - I smell a Cheechako!

<Big Stick>
posted
Would "Head Cheechako" cheer you up? Or "King of the Greenhorns"?

Hoping it would..........

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Stick:
I've seen lots of 7-1/2' Black Bears,the best I've seen killed was an honest 8'.......

Big Stick,
Mind indulging us with a little geographic information? I would very much enjoy a crack at a 7 1/2 footer blackie. I would settle for GPS coordinates!
Would dearly love to top the 19 15/16" I have now. (You can understand my desire better now, I think.)
best,
bhtr

Posts: 223 | Location: Soldotna, Alaska | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
bearhunt'r,

I've got it more or less to my self and rather enjoy that luxury. Besides,I don't have a GPS.

Will be happy to post photos of this coming Spring's HOG. I expect to start seeing them,in less than a month,with weather being the determining factor.

All my photo accounts,have went tits up,or I'd post some photos of some pretty nice ones................

<ovis>
posted
Bearhunt'r'

I wasn't aware that the Anchorage Zoo had a bunch of BIG black bears. "stick" must have drawn one of their coveted hunting permits. The co-ordinates for the Zoo are probably available from the Chamber of Commerce.

Juneau & CK,

I think you're right, but I'm too old to care. IMHO, guys like you know that any Alaskan bear is a good one. Too bad there are people so caught up in their own importance that they miss sharing in the successes of others. I think that's what I like about real Alaskans the most; belief that some things may be better than others but they're all good.

Thank God for Alaska, the Last Great Place!

<Big Stick>
posted
ovis,

Good Bears abound within the State. A man so inclined,can routinely bump into them,without a visit to the zoo. Give it a try sometime.

I suppose a "Humpy" is a great example of a Salmonid? There is zero shame in calling things as they are,regardless of the State a man resides in.

Some people can tell no difference,between fresh and frozen Halibut. Others think that a Humpy on a fly rod is a true Trophy. Others yet shoot rat critters and figure others won't know the difference.

I make no apologies for discerning the differences,despite the amount of cynicism.

Give me my Seafood fresh and I understand the "magnitude" of a forked-horn........

one of us
posted Hide Post
Big Stick,
Jest does'nt seem fair that you S.E. boys get em so early...we have ta wait till April... Just no dern fair!
best,
bhtr

ps. Just print a copy of a map; the gps won't matter then!

Posts: 223 | Location: Soldotna, Alaska | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
bearhunt'r,

We are weather dependant here,for when they emerge from the den,just like most places.

I've always seen a dandy or two,by mid-March. I think last year was March 6 and I saw him from the gas pump in town,feeding on a tide flat.

I am pretty serious,by the first week of April. Our Winter here has been fairly mild,but it dumped snow pretty good,the last two days. We could still get a bunch more,one never knows.

If we get more snow,they'll den a little longer. SE has the craziest weather in the world,it is pretty early yet,to speculate as to when things will be going pretty good. Nobody here,is foolish enough to guess on the weather.

I'll be looking here directly,but that doesn't mean I'll be seeing anything. You don't know,'til you go. Looking is cheap.

Are you seriously contemplating coming down,chasing after them? I'm going to be headed back to Camp tomorrow or the next,but if you are thinking about coming down,I'll shoot you a word on when things are starting to look petty good. I'm not sure how often I'll get to come home(weather),but I can shoot you a message here or something. Will have a cell phone this afternoon too,so that gives me options,as there is finally enough coverage here to allow them to work.

Take pictures up there,after the ball gets to rolling. Be happy to swap lies and photos. I'm hoping to have a new digital still camera in my grubby mitts,within a couple weeks. My intent is to get some superb live photos,while I'm pickin' and choosin'. Certainly before Spring is over,I'll have some great photos of some good ones.................

one of us
posted Hide Post
Stick, if I send you a tranquilizer gun, would you put an ear tag with my name on it on the first decent one you see? LOL - Sheister

[This message has been edited by Sheister (edited 02-21-2002).]

Posts: 385 | Location: Hillsboro, Oregon | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote