Find
Notify
Tools

Red Dot scopes?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted
If there so good why don't i see anyone using them on there deer or big game rifles.I was looking fo a light scope to put on my ruger ultra light 30/06 and someone recommened the aimpoint 7000L red dot scope, the 2x model. Anyone have any experience with these scopes.

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I have an old Aimpoint on a Remington .350 Mag. It is nice and quick for whitetails that jump and run through the grapevines and rose bushes. Never a problem with it -- except that the old style batteries are discontinued and the new type I use have to be installed backwards . I would reccomend you give one a try if you want to. I also have a Simmons red dot installed on a Remington 7400 30-06 -- again for thick cover hunting where running shots will probably occur.

Posts: 5701 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I used to have a weaver quikpoint on a 458 win.The only thing I ever used it on was deer,it worked just fine.I put a red dot on my 12yr old daughter's model 7/260rem to try and deal with all the problems kids have with finding game and eye relief using scopes.It worked like magic.I now believe it is the only scope for a kids first deer rifle. She is 18 now and won't use any other scope for deer,One shot one deer six years in a row.Her boyfriend is taking the 3x9 off his marlin 45/70 and replacing it with a red dot.Maybe not out west,but here in Pa.they are a better choice than a conventional scope on probably 90% of the shots taken.

Posts: 24 | Location: USA | Registered: 14 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Buy anything BUT a simmons! My buddy couldn't get his simmons red dot to align on his Beretta 303 shotgun. It was putting the dot at the bottom of the front site with the elevation adjustment turned all the way down. I thought the reciever might be tapered forward, so I put shims under the front of the weaver one piece base.. It took .036,(3-.012 shims), to bring it up to close to center. Of course it looked like a cobbled mess that would not be solid.

I then put the same scope on my proven Beretta 390. Same problem way too high! Chizam, there's something askew inside this brand new scope! His turkey permit is for next week, so I put the BSA red-dot on that was proven before, it was within a couple clicks of where it was last year.

Edited to add, this was with a shotgun arbor and tasco bore sighter in the BBL.

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one on my 35 rem. contender barrel, works fine. The lack of eye relief is a big plus with a pistol.I'm on the original battery, 3years old.

Posts: 424 | Location: Ticonderoga NY | Registered: 19 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try the trijicon stuff...no batteries nor switches to worry with. Works like a charm for us. We even have them on pistols.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Ray on this. No use for them on a big game rifle. My kids love the one I have on a Ruger 10/22 though. Batteries last through half of a brick of 22 shells, if they are lucky.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have recently tested a Millet Sp1 and a BSA 30 mm red dot sights on a 12 and 20 gauge shotgun and as slug gun sights there is nothing quicker and they also showed me greater accuracy than I though possible from smoothbore shotguns.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote