New
Find
Notify
Tools

Woodpeckers
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have recently lost six game cameras/three different brands to woodpeckers. Does anyone know of a solution? Help!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
12 gauge with number 6's

Posts: 1195 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
I make steel boxes to incase them in. I do it foe theft protection but it might help with this.

First time I have ever heard of a woodpecker destroying cameras.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
I sell and install a lot of these in suburbia.

http://attackspider.com/

Looks ridiculous but it works better than any deterrent devise I've ever tested.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1219 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never had that kind of problem before . Good luck.

Posts: 12025 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
12 gauge with number 6's

Yep, really good advice until the Federal Game Wardens catch up to your ass!

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
Try a piece of burlap wrapped around the camera, or a piece of mosquito netting or even screen door screen.

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Get an owl decoy and set it up near the feeder.

Even in the daytime an owl decoy will keep a lot of birds away.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What the hell would a woodpecker want with a game camera ? New one on me.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WTH would a woodpecker want with the metal drip edge on my roof? I have a bunch of them this time of year and they will drive you to drink banging away on that drip edge! Confused

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bear boxes would most likely do it. But still leaves the front some what exposed.

Posts: 19447 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They can be very determined, and can have long memories, returning to the same spot for several years. Sometimes screen, even hardware cloth, will not deter them. A 12 gauge will work, but a 17HMR is more selective and will result in less collateral damage. (I've heard.)

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a woodpecker that loved the metal cap on my fireplace. It sounded like a machine gun in the house when he would turn loose on it. Mine must have had a weak heart or something. He was last seen dead in the front yard.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.

Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

Posts: 697 | Location: Dublin, Georgia | Registered: 19 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm - same thing happened to 26 of the little buggers that were drilling holes in my cedar sided house this Summer. Guess their hearts don't hold up like they used to? Roll Eyes Maybe something in the water?

Larry Sellers
SCI(International)Life Member
R8 Blaser and 20ga. Beretta

quote:
Originally posted by boliep:
I had a woodpecker that loved the metal cap on my fireplace. It sounded like a machine gun in the house when he would turn loose on it. Mine must have had a weak heart or something. He was last seen dead in the front yard.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They ere attracted to the plastic lens cover and peck it out. I'll try the owl decoy, great idea.
Thanks

one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
Owl may or may not work. Here is a list from the BIRD EXPERTS. Good luck

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boliep:

The do it on our fireplaces too; drives me nuts! It does sound like a machine gun.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A7drvr:
WTH would a woodpecker want with the metal drip edge on my roof? I have a bunch of them this time of year and they will drive you to drink banging away on that drip edge! Confused

It is behavior called drumming, to declare their territory and attract a mate.

Forget the owl decoy. Once they realize it hasn't moved for a day or 2 they will perch and crap on it. I have a shed full of owl decoys from others failed attempts at discouraging birds from roosting, pecking and shitting up stores and houses. I have one that a woodpecker knocked a hole in after it was up for a week.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1219 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote