New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where to go next year...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have $8,000 or so budgeted for a hunt next year. I'd like to get away from Texas for a 7-10 day hunt. The opportunity to take more than one species is attractive.

I've already had the opportunity to take several exotics and just about everything else that is indigenous to Texas. I've also been fortunate enough to get a mountain goat and I'm leaning towards going for another next fall. I enjoyed the challenge and the fact I had tags for black bear and mule deer as well.

Before I commit to this, I'd like to know if anyone has any other great hunts I should consider. The hunters on this forum are a great resource and I thought I'd check here first. Advice as to species, locations, outfitters, etc. is greatly appreciated.

Posts: 83 | Location: Stephenville, TX & Hamilton, MT | Registered: 15 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Venandi
posted Hide Post
That's the sort of question that only you can answer.

What are your hunting goals? What interests you?

You can do some awesome hunting for $8,000 and for other hunts it's hardly a drop in the bucket. The first idea that comes to mind is a plains game hunt in Africa but, in a way, you've already done that to some degree in Texas. What about caribou or moose in Canada? Elk somewhere in the Rockies?

No longer Bigasanelk

Posts: 584 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've thought about Africa, but I think it would get expensive pretty quick. I can handle the hunting fees, but airfare, dip and pack, shipping, taxidermy, etc. really add up.

What I really want is a challenge. That leads me back to mountain goats. I'm interested in dall sheep, moose and grizzly bears, but I believe they're just out of my price range. Other than goats, a coastal black bear hunt with some fishing sounds fun. Maybe a mountain lion, I don't know. I'm hoping someone has a really good idea.

Posts: 83 | Location: Stephenville, TX & Hamilton, MT | Registered: 15 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go on a good, guided elk hunt. Utah, Wyoming would be great choices. Hire an Outfitter that will pack you in and stay in a wall tent for ten days. Go when the weather is reasonable. This is what I would recommend.

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A mtn. lion hunt can be very challenging physically, especially if you keep up with the guide and try and keep up with the hounds.

The bear/fishing trip isn't to challenging, look into the coastal boat trip, the food is great,fishing is excellent, crabbing,mmmm mmmm,
but it is pretty relaxing.

There are some plains game hunts out there for Africa, that I bet you could connect on 5 or more species, airfare, and shipping for the amount you have.

Jason has a good idea, but you need to draw a tag in some western states.

Pretty sad these days that $8 grand doesn't buy much of hunt.

If you can draw an elk tag, I agree with Jason.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Pick the right unit(s) in Wyoming and you could potentially do a mule deer/elk/pronghorn combo. Timing could be hard, but at the least you could do a deer/antelope where you'd have the chance at a deer and up to three goats. You could squeeze in some trout fishing, priarie dog shooting, and coyote calling in some places too.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MT.Lion.
In many places you dont need to draw a tag.
It was the Most challenging thing I have ever done and on the 11 day I accomplished my goal. (I had extremly bad luck with weather)
I lost 24 pds for this trip and was in the best shape of my life. After all the work, and the end of an awesoome most rewarding hunt to date, and not only do you get a awesome full body mount, you get an awesome picture picture like this.

Good luck with whatever you chose.
W.

Posts: 782 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
forgot to add, you could go with Chitocton hillbilly I belive is his name, and shoot a lion and a lynx on the same trip. He's in southern BC.
Good Luck
W.

Posts: 782 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Next year I'm putting in for Moose in ID. If we do not get drawn, we can turn around and put in for Elk/rifle. The outfitter is 100% on both but it is a limited area so getting drawn may be easy or tough. Odds are 1 in 3 as a rule. If we do not draw either, we can still go as Deer tags (WT or Mule, your choice on same tag) is OTC, as is Bear, Cougar, Wolf, Coyote plus birds. Their area is a limited access area and rates are reasonable. LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6825 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Game Hunter
posted Hide Post
Alaska.

You could do a caribou hunt.

I know an outfitter that has a cool hunt on Kodiak. He does a 7-day Sitka blacktail deer hunt that includes some duck hunting, some fishing, crab pots, etc. for $4500. He can also combo this hunt with goat for around $10,000.

There are lots of deer choices for a lot less the the $8000 you have budgeted.

Keith O'Neal
Trophy Collectors Consultants
Po Box 3908
Oxford, AL. 36203
256-310-4424
TCChunts@gmail.com

All of your desires can be found on the other side of your fears.

Posts: 490 | Location: Oxford, AL. | Registered: 24 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woodsie:
MT.Lion.
In many places you dont need to draw a tag.
It was the Most challenging thing I have ever done and on the 11 day I accomplished my goal. (I had extremly bad luck with weather)
I lost 24 pds for this trip and was in the best shape of my life. After all the work, and the end of an awesoome most rewarding hunt to date, and not only do you get a awesome full body mount, you get an awesome picture picture like this.

Good luck with whatever you chose.
W.

That is one HUGE lion!!!
Great pic too.
Congrats.

Posts: 1484 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the ideas. The ranch I usually hunt aoudads on was recently sold, so I don't have any big hunts planned this year. Now I'm really thinking about trying to fit in a mountain lion hunt this winter and planning something else next fall.

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
One word: Africa!

You can do a 7 day PG hunt for from about 3K to 4.5K depending upon what you want to hunt and location.

I did a hunt last year for $2,750 for 7 days including everything and 5 animals, which included kudu, wildebeest, bleasbok, mountain reedbuck and springbok.

taxidermy all that other stuff is up to you and what you want to spend. Keep in ming these costs come later. I haven't spent a dime on taxidermy yet and my trip was in August last year, so I'm over 13 months out, I've only paid for the shipping and dip & pack.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another idea is to wait for the last minute deals. I Looove This! I've been fortunate to use other's bad fortune to go on some rather exotic hunts. Namely a sheep hunt in Canada and two trips to Central Africa and a really bad ass trip to Brazil for Peacock Bass.

Both the hunts would still exceed your budget but if you were to let a couple of really good outfitter know you could go at the last minute then that may be a really good ticket for you.

Posts: 1484 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2010Reply With Quote