New
Find
Notify
Tools

Muzzle break USA
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm looking to take my 7mm rem mag to the states to hunt. My rile has a suppressor but reading the temporary importation rules looks like suppressors aren't allowed So looking to buy a muzzle break and take that instead as I think they are allowed. Has anyone taken a muzzle break to hunt in the states recently?

Posts: 70 | Location: New Zealand  | Registered: 19 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They're legal and everywhere.
Why would you want to expose yourself or others to such a loud blast? Just to screw up someones' hearing. The recoil from a 7mmag isn't much.
Sure nothing to merit the blast to everyone's ears.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5962 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
It has nothing to do with the recoil, it has to do with seeing your target.

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, they are legal in all places in the US and Canada. There are no import restrictions or even questions about them.

Don't just buy one and screw it on. It should be checked by someone that can ensure it is aligned to the bore of the rifle. Just to be safe.

I'm sure your silencer is aligned, so little risk, but better safe than sorry.

As noted, they do make it louder for the shooter, so wear hearing protection, even at the shot in the field.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of rifles prepped for a suppressor. The device attached to the end of the barrel upon which the suppressor is attached acts as a muzzle brake when shot without the suppressor. At least on mine.

Posts: 12022 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
They're legal and everywhere.
Why would you want to expose yourself or others to such a loud blast? Just to screw up someones' hearing. The recoil from a 7mmag isn't much.
Sure nothing to merit the blast to everyone's ears.

George

Like an unbraked rifle is safe for hearing? I am now at the point where I wear plugs when hunting just about everything. Had plugs in when I hunted coyotes Saturday, and no, that rifle has no break.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am now at the point where I wear plugs when hunting just about everything

Even better is electronic protection.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
I am now at the point where I wear plugs when hunting just about everything

What do you recommend for that PD? Been thinking about moving in that direction.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My latest set is a pair of walker razors.

They work well.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Howard Light Impact amplified ear muffs is what I use.

They are very popular in 3

As to the muzzle brake.....get one and check your point of impact before you hunt and enjoy.

I think its funny how many people shun the use of a brake..... I love them

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RAR60
posted Hide Post
I have two Browning's with the BOSS system and have not and will not use the break. Kenny Jarrett of Jarrett Rifles said they can improve accuracy. I don't need one. IMO, I think they are obnoxious.

Zim 2006
Zim 2007
Namibia 2013
Brown Bear Togiak Nat'l Refuge Sep 2010
Argentina 2019
RSA 2023
SCI Life Member
USMC

One of Us
Picture of ismith
posted Hide Post
Get a thread protector and call it good. Who feels recoil while shooting at critters?

What force or guile could not subdue,
Thro' many warlike ages,
Is wrought now by a coward few,
For hireling traitor's wages.

Posts: 249 | Location: Montana | Registered: 17 January 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
I think its funny how many people shun the use of a brake..... I love them

I shoot often enough that ear protection has become just second nature. Depending on what I am shooting I'll use muffs, molded plugs or foam plugs...even if I'm only shooting .22 RF.

I do most of my hunting alone and just wear foam plugs, even with my KDF braked .300 Weatherby. When I'm on a guided hunt I carry a full package of foam plugs and offer them to the guide and trackers.

The more powder a cartridge burns the louder it's report will be, with or without a muzzle brake.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RAR60
posted Hide Post
I think offering plugs to guide or whoever is around you is the considerate thing to do. Not that the report on a non-braked rifle can't be loud, a brake just compounds it. I think its funny that poster of thread is contemplating brake when using suppressor.

Zim 2006
Zim 2007
Namibia 2013
Brown Bear Togiak Nat'l Refuge Sep 2010
Argentina 2019
RSA 2023
SCI Life Member
USMC

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by anotherkiwi:
My rile has a suppressor but reading the temporary importation rules looks like suppressors aren't allowed So looking to buy a muzzle break and take that instead as I think they are allowed.

Like another poster, I suggest a simple thread protector.

quote:

quote:
What do you recommend for that PD? Been thinking about moving in that direction.

Electronic ear muffs are heavy, hot, and sweaty. I don't recommend muffs (electronic or otherwise) for hunting. Good but inexpensive amplifying ear plugs work much better in my experience. I think you can find them for under $30, which is cheaper than most muffs.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ismith:
Get a thread protector and call it good. Who feels recoil while shooting at critters?

Cheaper, no noise increase, no worry about alignment... tu2

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use plugs on a string around my neck and I have give them to the PHs and guides Ive worked with...Sometimes I don't have time to stick them in my ears and so be it, Im not messing with hearing when an elk or dear is waiting to be shot...I would not hunt DG with hearing protection, rather be a tad deaf than stomped or chewed into eternity..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would not hunt DG with hearing protection, rather be a tad deaf than stomped or chewed into eternity..

Electronic protection increases your hearing and could very well save you from getting stomped.

I read a study about bear mauling I think it was in outdoor life.

The results were older hunters getting mauled more often.

The researchers thought poor hearing was involved they couldn't hear the sounds leading up to the attack.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
I would not hunt DG with hearing protection, rather be a tad deaf than stomped or chewed into eternity..

Electronic protection increases your hearing and could very well save you from getting stomped.

I read a study about bear mauling I think it was in outdoor life.

The results were older hunters getting mauled more often.

The researchers thought poor hearing was involved they couldn't hear the sounds leading up to the attack.

I haven't heard that. But then, after a lifetime of shooting, there are a lot of things I haven't heard Frowner.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote