New
Find
Notify
Tools

Housebreaking a bear....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My brother works nights (E/R nurse) and lives outside of a town in the Sierra Nevada foothills. His dog awakens him at about 3:00 pm 3 days ago and he goes to investigate why the dog is having a fit. He walks around the corner and confronts a bear in the dining room/kitchen area of the house, having entered through the sliding glass door in back (partially open for the convenience of pets), which faces national forest land. He and the dog succeed in backing the bear, huffing and popping its jaws at them, out the door and up a nearby tree. By the time he secures a suitable firearm and calls the local Sheriff's Dept. (they tell him not to shoot, of course), the bear has gone. He learns that the neighbors (all recent transplants from metropolitan areas) have been feeding and videotaping this bear for a while, to include up to the point that they chased it into his house! I'm sure that those same idiots will be calling for my brother to go to prison as a bear murderer if he has to kill their new pet in his house. I am still unsure as to why some folks move to rural areas. [Confused]
John

[ 11-26-2002, 08:40: Message edited by: John Palmer ]

Posts: 66 | Location: E. Tennessee | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
<Mike Dettorre>
posted
We all know where a 350 lb black bear shits...anywhere it wants too

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike-
He communtes from Twain Harte to Tracy.....

It'd only take him another 30 minutes to drop it in your back yard! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 66 | Location: E. Tennessee | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sound like the same kind of dipshits who move in next to a long-established shooting range and commence complaining about the noise.

Might I suggest a trail of peanut butter leading to the patio door of the neighbor's house -- see how they like their new pet in THEIR living room.

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
This year CO's hsot an intruder believed to be responsable for over 30 B&E's in the area.

Sometimes the houses where occupied, sometimes not. He liked to turn on the ovens with his ass while digging in the fridge.

Of course,there was a huge public outcry at the "senseless slaughter"

He was a full grown adult male black bear in good condition.
[Big Grin]

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about the rest of you, but this is one really BIG reason I am against feeding wildlife. It is one thing to bait a bear, but another to feed it a regular diet. Especially in residential areas! This doesn't just apply to predator species either. It includes other game such as deer, elk, etc. They should have a minimum of a $5,000 fine for feeding wild life. It's one thing if a squirrel gets into a bird feeder, but it's another to put a few pounds of hamburger out back for the local bear, wolves, coyotes, etc. Animals were created to hunt and search for their own food, not to be fed by "City Slickers" transplanted to the country.

Posts: 119 | Location: Ohio - USA | Registered: 28 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
We had a bear like that outside Sun Valley, ID several years back. Except it had learned that the cabins outside Red Fish Lake had these shiney white boxes inside, just full of food. IIRC, Bruce and Demi's cabin was among the ones hit.

The outcry for Fish and Game to do something about it was something! Fish and Game kept calling all the houndsmen to come fix the problem for them, but it seems the houndsmen hadn't yet forgotten the attempt these same "nature seekers" had made at getting hounding outlawed in Idaho. Took a long time to get that bear! Poetic justice, IMHO. Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
I suggest turning in the neighbors to the Fish and Wildlife Dept. In most states, it is illegal to feed wild animals. Make sure the F&G stresses to them that THEIR actions will probably eventually lead to the demise of the animal when it becomes to much of a nuisance.

bowhuntr

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Feeding preditors is one thing, feeding deer and elk is another...If some of you lived in this country you would understand the necessity of feeding our deer and elk, least you would not be buying a non-resident hunting license, and hunting would be a thing of the past, Wyoming has the most successful elk feeding program in the world and it simply works...

When mostly Californians and New Yorkers, (thank you Bruce Willis) all democrats move into an area such as Sun Valley Idaho and take over a whole county and bring their stupid ideas with them, then the first thing you know they have built their multi million dollar homes on the "traditional elk feeding grounds", so now we must feed our elk, they have no other source of food, the alternative is total starvation and even at that we have lost a substantional amount of our elk population, (thanks wrigley spearmint gum family)...

Hollywood rules Sun Valley, these are the non-hunters of the world diminishing our elk herd, and strutten their stuff and switching their tails while doing it...screw'um!

Such conversational offhanded tripe makes me ill, of course we will feed our elk and deer, we have no other choice, they have had their habitat stolen by bleeding hart liberals who are anti gun, anti hunting, anti American and anti every friggin thing they can think off.

Ok, I'm finished, off the soap box...

Posts: 41894 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote