THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Russian Made Remington Side by Side Rifle???

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Russian Made Remington Side by Side Rifle???
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted
http://www.spartangunworks.com/spr22.htm

Hey guys... Here's something that's actually new in the hunting rifle and combo gun world. Double guns for the budget minded blue collar hunter.

Click around a bit and you'll find shotguns, shotgun/rimfire combos, shotgun/centerfire combos... etc.

Some interesting stuff.

Anyone know what the warranty is and if it's honored at Remington?

Edit... Well I just got told that this is the same line that EAA had but I still think it's interesting and should sell well with Remington's backing.

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
<kram>
posted
Great in the two calibers I would never want in a double rifle!

one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
Yeah... I noticed that too... Maybe more calibers later.... Confused

$bo$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you search the big bore forum you will find a thread on these there.

Posts: 19616 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow, a double rifle for 500 bucks!? Most probably as sturdy as typical Russian guns. Would be great for our driven hunts.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i have been "on" this for 2 years... first with eaa, then directly with baikal, and now remington.. interestingly enough, the answer "late next summer" follow by "early spring" has been the standard answer.

I spoke with remington yesterday, and the answer went from april to 3rd quarter 2005

i can't wait to get one

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39702 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NOTE: For Use with SAAMI Compliant Loads Only (28,000 PSI / 28,000 CUP Operating Pressure).

Is the above pressure restriction going to limit this rifles use as a DGR in 45-70 or would one rechamber it for a longer cartridge?

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
Savage99,

Good question... Wouldn't it make a dandy grizz rifle though?

They're only 7.5lbs and although I'm not a big 45-70 fan it sure makes a tempting combination for the hunter on a budget.

$bob$

one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
jeffe,

I assume that you mean for the rifles? The shotguns are available on Gunbroker now.

$bob$

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDHunter:
http://www.spartangunworks.com/spr22.htm

Hey guys... Here's something that's actually new in the hunting rifle and combo gun world. Double guns for the budget minded blue collar hunter.

Click around a bit and you'll find shotguns, shotgun/rimfire combos, shotgun/centerfire combos... etc.

Some interesting stuff.

Anyone know what the warranty is and if it's honored at Remington?

Edit... Well I just got told that this is the same line that EAA had but I still think it's interesting and should sell well with Remington's backing.

$bob$

Looks a lot like a Savage 24V, with fewer calibers available. Maybe they'll do the .243/20 gauge that Savage would not.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14625 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup, no Garrett butt kickers fired in that rifle. But, I would still buy one cause the price is right, comapred to a chaupis brousse for 12 grand.

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
Anyone know whether these take down like regular doubles, or are simply break-action?

---
Eric Ching
"The pen is mightier than the sword...except in a swordfight."

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
According to the manufacturer, still in preproduction stage: http://www.baikalinc.ru/eng/prod/rifle/mr221/

one of us
posted Hide Post
Calibre 7,62x51 (.308Win) .30-06 Springfield* 45-70 Govt*
Trigger pull (adj.), N 1,5-2,5 1,5-2,5 1,5-2,5
Barrel length, mm 600 600 600
Overall length, mm 1050 1050 1050
Weight, kg 3,3-3,35 3,3 3,15

* Option is at stage of customer demand analysis.

This seems to say that the 308 caliber is set and the 30-06 and 45-70 are being market surveyed.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Even keeping you loads at Trapdoor pressures you can still load the 300grain bullets to 1900fps, the 350grain bullets to 1715fps, and the 400 grain bullets to 1799fps. [source: Speer and Hornady loading book]
These loads will work fine for deer, pigs, black bear over bait and even elk in the timber.
I will probably have to have one. Big Grin

I will tell my wife it is to be her "Training Double Rifle". Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For the price one could learn a lot about double rifles. Just playing with it it one ruin one or other wise one would not be out a lot. I'll most likely buy one it woudl make a great swamp gun for a great gun for bears in front of hounds.

Posts: 19616 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The .308 would be a very strange choice for a double rifle, high pressure, short, no rim... Even the 7.62x54 R would make more sense and would be "classier" out of a Russian gun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DUK:
The .308 would be a very strange choice for a double rifle, high pressure, short, no rim... Even the 7.62x54 R would make more sense and would be "classier" out of a Russian gun.

I don't get that comment. If the rifle is designed and engineered to use high pressure, rimless cartridges, who cares?

I think I would rather get the single shot rifle.